Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETAPI32.dll Incompatible with Microsoft Outlook 2016

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seargantkailone

seargantkailone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Here's the picture:  For some reason or another, a load of malware got installed on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer, including the netutils virus, which is a rather annoying adware program that turns random words on a non-https webpage into popup advertisements, some of which can be malicious.  So I used HijackThis and AdwCleaner to remove the majority of the virus, but there were still some pesky netutils.dll files left.  I decided to delete them because I read that netutils was some sort of malware by Panda AdminSecure.  I deleted the files by going into Safe Mode, since they would consistently open up in some unidentified program, but I think that I might have deleted too many:  Some of them were in the System32 folder.  The good news:  After a long, several hour battle with malware, there aren't anymore netutils ads as far as I can tell, and my computer is booting and running faster than it has in a while.  The bad news:  I couldn't open Google Chrome anymore, I could not open Webroot Secure Anywhere, and I couldn't even properly open Outlook 2016, although all other Microsoft Office products are working.  When I try to open Outlook, a popup window says "NETAPI32.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Outlook.  Install Outlook again."  The thing is, it does open, and I can receive emails.  I am not sure, however, about sending them, since I have not had the opportunity to do so yet.  I have also tried repairing Outlook from the Control Panel, but nothing changed. 

If there is some sort of fix that does not require a download (I am quite aware of the possibility for malware there), please let me know!  Thanks!

Also, if anyone knows of a fix for Webroot and Chrome, that would be great!

Here is a picture of the netapi.dll files that I have: 

Attached File  netapi.dll files on my pc.png   121.91KB   0 downloads

Here are the properties for the netapi.dll file in system32:

Attached File  general properties for netapi.dll file in system32.png   149.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Digital signatures properties for netapi.dll file in system32.png   134.27KB   0 downloads

Here are the properties for the netapi.dll file in WinSxS/amd64:

Attached File  general properties for netapi.dll file in WinSxS-amd64.png   156.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Digital signatures properties for netapi.dll file in WinSxS-amd64.png   140.11KB   0 downloads

Here are the properties for the netapi.dll file in WinSxS/wow64:

Attached File  general properties for netapi.dll file in WinSxS-wow64.png   150.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Digital signatures properties for netapi.dll file in WinSxS-wow64.png   134.32KB   0 downloads

Finally, here are the properties for the netapi.dll file in SysWOW64:

Attached File  general properties for netapi.dll file in SysWOW64.png   148.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Digital signatures properties for netapi.dll file in SysWOW64.png   132.22KB   0 downloads

Edited by NickAu, 16 January 2017 - 09:31 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

This could be malware masquerading as the netapi32.dll or the dll was altered. Browse to the file. It should be in C:\Windows\System32, It should also be in lowercase. If in a different location then it's definitely malware.

Right click and select Properties. Post screenshots of the General and Details tab.

#3 seargantkailone

seargantkailone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

You know, I've been thinking...  Should I just do a system restore and back up my important files from a week back or so?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

If you know the infection happened before the System Restore date it could be an option but all your dates on your netapi32.dll file is July 2016. Doing a System Restore will not change that file unless you have a restore date before July 2016.  Personally I would post in the Virus Removal Forum attaching your logs after reading the pinned posts in the forum.

#5 seargantkailone

seargantkailone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

I noticed that as well.  However, I opened the file location of Outlook itself, and it was last modified yesterday, which is when the entire thing started.  Should I restore Outlook to a previous version?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

I am not familiar with Outlook. I thought it was part of the Office Suite. If you have a key if it required then go ahead and do a reinstall. I think if your problem occurred yesterday then do a System Restore. If you added any files to the desktop after the Restore date then move them to My Documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users