Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB3213986 breaks DHCP AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Ugh. I now have three customer computers sitting here with the latest update from Patch Tuesday that have the same problem: DHCP isn't working properly, so the network adapters are being assigned 169.254.x.x IP addresses (with subnet mask 255.255.0.0). This appears to be a much trickier problem then last month's DHCP bork. Manually configuring the IP addresses and DNS servers doesn't work; it manages to show the name of the network (instead of showing as unknown), and the IP configuration appears correct, but if I try to renew the IP address it says the media is disconnected. Attempting to renew the IP address without manual configuration results in the following message: "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

Event Viewer gets chock full of HttpEvent errors 15005 that say "Unable to bind to the underlying transport for 127.0.0.1:8092." Also some NetBT errors 4307: "Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial addresses."

Last month's problem was addressed with a restart (not a shutdown and power up, thank you Fast Startup), and Microsoft released an update that resolved the issue as Bleeping Computer noted last month. It seemed to be more intermittent, ie, a restart would at least take care of the problem temporarily or at least long enough to apply the update. Some users seemed to have to use netsh to reset IPV4 and whatnot. The main difference being, even if several solutions didn't work, eventually something did.

Nothing I've done to any of these computers has allowed the network connection (both wired and wireless) to function properly, even for a short period of time. The update that Microsoft released last month addressed an issue with the Connect Devices Platform Service that was breaking DHCP. The CDPSVC service is not running on any of these computers and if I manually start it, it starts and then stops (it does start, it just doesn't stay running). Another common thread among these computers is that the IKE and AuthIP IPSec Keying Modules Service isn't running, either, and if I try to start it, it simply says "Load Failed."

I was willing to assume I had a one-off problem until two more computers came in with the same thing within a couple days. And here's another thing: I can run an in-place upgrade on all of them, and the network connections will work fine until KB3213986 is installed. Once that happens, the network connections are immediately broken again. And I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but the Delivery Optimization service doesn't seem to stay running, either. When I start it, a Service Control Manager error 7024 is generated that says description for the event id from that source cannot be found, with the following information: "Delivery Optimization %%2147952413". The Windows 10 laptop that doesn't have the update installed shows the Delivery Optimization service running.

I've already scanned the file system, ran the restorehealth option using the DISM tool (when the network connections were still working) and SFC, so I don't think it's a matter of a pre-existing operating system issue causing problems when the update is applied. Also the fact that I'm getting such repeatable results from three different computers leads me to believe that it's a problem with the update. My personal PC is on the Insider Fast Ring and I've never had any of these kinds of issues with it. But Microsoft seems unable to push out updates on a regular basis without breaking a lot of average users' computers.

Has anyone else run into this issue yet since the January 10th update, and does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it so that I don't have to keep beating my head against the wall, while hoping that Microsoft finally fixes the problem? I know there's something I'm overlooking but at the moment my brain is pretty fried. At this point I feel pretty confident that I'm going to continue to run into this problem, just like last month.

Edited by rarson, 16 January 2017 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rarson

rarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Update: Having spent several days working on this issue, I decided to implement a workaround: remove the update and hide it so that it won't get installed. Uninstalling the update took the computer back to 14393.0 but the network connection still had problems, so I re-ran the in-place upgrade. Then I reconnected the network cable, verified that the connection was working, and then ran the "show or hide updates" tool found in the middle of this page. Windows shows it is up to date but the version number is still 14393.0. At least the network connection works. I'm not finding any other problems with the computer, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if Microsoft releases a fix.

#3 rarson

rarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Update 2: Well, it worked, for a bit, but now it seems to intermittently lose connection to the internet. This is getting pretty annoying.

#4 rarson

rarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

I'm an idiot, although I doubt this will resolve the problem. I could have sworn that the DISM tool wasn't capable of utilizing ESD files but obviously I was wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users