Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Security Center Is Stopped, Can't Start It!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Weanut

Weanut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

i have windows xp home, media center i think. i went to check the time for my windows update & found that the security center was off. i checked the services tab on the systems configuration utility. security center was checked but said stopped. i unchecked & rechecked all & rebooted but it was still off. this actually happened about a month ago but when i did the services thing it started again. anyway, then i went to the help section. it said to do run - gpedit.msc. when i did that, i got an error message under microsoft management console saying snap-in failed to initialize, then name: group policy object editor, then clsid:(some letters & #'s). i am logged in as administrator on this computer, what can i do???? ran virus & spyware yesterday, came up clean. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

There are a few suggestions listed in Troubleshooting Group Policy which may be of some help.

You can also try Restore XP Security Center.
Scroll down to #338 and click on "Restore the Security Center Service" in the right column.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Weanut

Weanut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

i'm afraid these things are wayyyyyy beyond my abilities, anything a semi literate can do?

#4 Weanut

Weanut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

daaa haha, ok. the troubleshooting group policy suggestions are actually beyond me.

When I try to edit a Group Policy object, I get the "Snap-in failed to initialize" error.

Cause: This may be happen if Group Policy cannot find framedyn.dll.

Solution: If you use installation scripts, verify that your scripts place the systemroot\system32\wbem directory in the system path. By default, systemroot\system32\wbem is in the system path already; therefore, you are not likely to encounter this issue if you do not use installation scripts.

i have no idea if i use installation scripts or not(not even sure what scripts are), also not a clue as to how to verify what is in the system path or what to do from there.

i went to the restore xp security center link on opera & when i clicked on the link it opened a window filled with code, no download. luckily, i thought to try it on mozilla(same thing happened), then internet explorer where i did get the download. unfortunately, it didn't work. now there seems to be something going on with internet explorer too, any thoughts? i'm not completely stupid, just not very knowledgeable with this stuff. if you have any other suggestions or can tell me how to do the group policy object thing, that'd be great. i don't mean to waste your time, do appreciate your help very much.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

Your firewall may be preventing the download or your Active X control settings may be set incorrectly.

Use Internet Explorer
Set your IE Security settings to no more than "Medium".
Active X settings IE

In Internet Explorer click on the “tools” tab
Click on “Internet Options”
Click the “Security” tab
Click “Custom Level”

Under Active X Controls and Plugins

Download Signed Active X Controls
Choose “prompt”

Download Unsigned Active X Controls
Choose disable

Initialize and Script Active X controls not marked as safe
Disable

Run Active X controls and plugins
Enable

Script Active X Controls marked as safe
Enable

#6 Weanut

Weanut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:15 AM

my firewall is off, part of the windows security center. i checked the settings & they were all as you listed.

#7 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hi Weanut.Check this:
In the RUN type:services.msc
a new will appear and from the list ,double click on the security center(a new window will appear) and from start up type ,choose automatic ,then below this a start button will appear.click on it and your security center will start.
I really thank you,because i didn't know this and your questions caused me to search for its answer.
My security center was disabled by my norton system works.

#8 Weanut

Weanut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:54 AM

ok, tried it, got an error message(could not start the security center service on local computer. error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.)glad it worked for you though!

#9 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:25 AM

open services.msc, go to security centre service, right click, select properties, and click the 'dependencies' tab', if there are any services in the top white box, check to see if these services are running, if not run them and see if your security centre will start. probably best to restart your computer after this.

good luck

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Check to ensure these are running (they're the dependencies on my system for Security Center)

Windows Management Instrumentation - not the Driver Extensions
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - not the RPC Locator
Event Log
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi weanut again.i think visiting this link http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Why_does_'Err...r_in_Windows_XP
may help you about " the dependency service or group failed to start"
Now try what i said before about services.msc

#12 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

If the link above didn't get you anything, here is the answer about the dependecy or group failed to start"
then do what i said before about services.msc.
If it is a lexmark or Dell printer make sure that

1. Go to Start > Run and type in services.msc then press Enter. 2. Click on Lexbces > Right click - Properties, Change recovery to automatic instead of disabled.

Quick and easy.

Error 1068

One Reason for the error "Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group Failed To Start" can be: Changed in the path of service exe in harddisk.

Example: if service exe location is (service properties shows) :: c:\Program files\xyz\abc\my_service.exe and if we change "xyz" to "wxy" folder and try to restart the service. it will give the above error.

Fixing this issue is quite simple. I had the same issue myself and after a LOT of research, I found the following steps extremely simple and it fixes the issue immediately.

1. Go to Start > Run and type in services.msc then press Enter.

2. In the window that opens find "Print Spooler" on the right

3. Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

4. Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

5. Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

6. Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

7. Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

You're all set! Now when ever your Print Spooler craps out, it will automatically reset itself.

More input and advice:

* There is another cuase for this error. If you have ever had a lexmark printer driver (which may also have been installed with a non-Lexmark printer, like a Dell) then you will find a small program called LexBce. This is usually a service and can be found under Control Panel->Services. LexBce needs to also be running before Print Spooler will run. I hopethis helps someone else. It tooks me hours to resolve this problem :-)

* Guys there is a simple answer if your looking out for Lexmark printer causing these issues, do START > RUN >Services.msc , thn Open Print Spooler, Restart the service n keep the startup type as Automatic, if u still get the error msg, thn chk the dependencies tab n thn chk for the services under it, and thn enable services namely, "Remote Procedure Call" Fax "LexBce Server", If one of this svc doesn't start, chk their dependencies list n try to enable as much as possible, it has to work, has always worked for me as a DELL TECHNICIAN. (From another: Thanks, Dell technician, this worked for me. It allowed me to enable the print spooler. However when tried to print job it gave error "printer not found" so I did a restart spooler from the services.msc window and it worked.)

* Thanks Dell Tech Dude! Everything you had mentioned got me on my way. I had deleted the lexbces.exe since I removed the lexmark printer.After that I was unable to get it started again. If you delete this you will have to re-install it in windows/system32/.

* I tried all of the above and nothing worked. I did some more google searching and found a Lexmark support article that worked. Here is a link:http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:204:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS816&relevance=1

#13 Weanut

Weanut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

ok, i'm a little overwhelmed here but i did try to do the services.msc thing with the right click, there weren't any services in either box, i got an error message: internal error - wbem error features not available. upgrade wmi to a newer build. so then, just for the heck of it i double clicked on security services(which had a blank space where it should've said started), on the right side there was a link that said start services so i clicked it & i can't tell you exactly what i did after that but apparently it worked. the firewall & windows updates are on, the antivirus is off cause i have norton & avg. i don't even exactly know what i'm talking about but i think i solved the problem, i never had a problem with my printer but since i do have a dell printer that info could come in handy someday. a friend of mine who knows about this stuff i coming over tomorrow so i'll let him read the posts & see if he has any thoughts about why this happened. i've had virtumonde & a java thing that i'm pretty sure i got rid of but it definitely won't hurt to have someone that actually knows what they are doing check it out. i figure i'll know what i'm doing by the time i'm about 90! :thumbsup: thanks to all for all the help, the illiterate can use all the help we can get!

#14 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

hi, weanut,

i think you have (inadvertantly!) started the security service. one thing to check is that the service startup type is 'automatic', this is so it will start all the time when your computer starts.

go back to, start, run, services.msc, and under the startup type tab, you will see different options, ie, manual, disabled, automatic. to change a services startup type, doubleclick service, check what it says in 'startup type box' and if you want to change it click on the down arrow and choose the option you want, ie, automatic.

good luck

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

Here's some more info for you to consider:

1) Its possible that your Dell printer was actually manufactured by LexMark.

2) Please don't run 2 anti-virus apps at the same time (Norton and AVG in your case). It will cause conflicts and may even result in a virus getting through. I'd suggest that you keep AVG and lose the Norton (because it's inefficient and a resource hog).

3) Since you got a message that said your WMI was outdated - I'd suggest visiting Windows Update and getting all the updates that are available for your system. They will fix some problems like this, will fix other problems you didn't even know that you had, and will also repair security "holes" in the system.

4) Don't worry about not knowing this stuff - if you're interested enough, it'll come with time. If not, there's always these forums to help you out. Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users