Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail sweep rules

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I am setting up sweep filters for my hotmail (outlook actually) inbox due to a sudden and substantial increase in spam. What exactly is meant by the following:

Subject

Body

Header

When I click on "inbox and sweep rules", click the + button to create a new rule and then under "when the message arrives, and it matches all of these conditions" option, I choose "it includes these words" there are several options. The above 3 I am bit confused about. Like does "body" refer to the entire email itself? Whats the difference between the "Subject" and the "Header"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Standard bump

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

The subject is the text you see listed in your inbox for a message.  I don't know how to describe this any better.  When you compose a message you tend to enter the subject immediately after you enter the e-mail address or addresses you're sending to.  The analog to the subject field here is "Hotmail sweep rules."

The body is the message text itself.  The analog here is what you're reading at this moment.

The header is information that is used by the e-mail programs themselves to route the message from point to point and you generally don't see it unless you specifically elect to display it in your e-mail interface.  The number of fields in the header is extensive and far more complex than I care to delve into right now (mostly because I don't remember a lot of them myself).

You will generally use the "From", "Subject", and "Body" fields when you set up filters for virtually any purpose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users