Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU temps too hot?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

I have noticed that my cpu core temps are going up to 65 + degrees even till 70 sometimes @ IDLE. This is all indicated by SpeedFan/CoreTemp/HW monitor. My bios indicates temperatures of 40-45 degrees though. Should i be concerned? My side fan also sounds like a jet when it's on my case but when i move it away from the side panel, it sounds very quiet. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Side fan probably has temp sensor to adjust Fan speed.

CPU has what cooler? Boxed?

#3 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Side fan probably has temp sensor to adjust Fan speed.

Nope not that fan. The thing is when the fan is close to the panel it makes a zooming noise but if it's a bit further from the panel its quiet. So the panel is somehow making noise when air gets sucked through..dunno how to fix that though. All the other fans don't have that problem. 

CPU has what cooler? Boxed?

It's the stock intel cooler for a 3570k not oc'd yet.

#4 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

If all 3 programs report these high temps, then it's probably true. Did you check the dust on the cooler?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Fan is probably causing some resonance on case.

Intel boxed cooler is quite bad, but still better than one found on newer CPU's. I recommend better cooler.

#6 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

If all 3 programs report these high temps, then it's probably true. Did you check the dust on the cooler?

So then the bios is wrong? I opened it up and tried to clean it out a few days ago, i don't have canned air tough. so just wiped and blew.

#7 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

So then the bios is wrong? I opened it up and tried to clean it out a few days ago, i don't have canned air tough. so just wiped and blew.

That could be explained by some light load being applied when in windows, while being completely idle in BIOS. I highly doubt the programs are wrong, but if you want, you can download your motherboard manufacturer's native software to see what it tells you about the temps.

And if the cooler doesn't have dust stuck between its fins, then the next step would be replacing the thermal paste.

Edited by Xoctane, 16 January 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#8 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

That could be explained by some light load being applied when in windows, while being completely idle in BIOS. I highly doubt the programs are wrong, but if you want, you can download your motherboard manufacturer's native software to see what it tells you about the temps.

And if the cooler doesn't have dust stuck between its fins, then the next step would be replacing the thermal paste.

Okay great i will give those things a try and get back to you. Which Thermal paste would you recommend?

#9 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

My preference was always the Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. The Cooler Master high performance one is also good.

#10 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Intel boxed cooler is quite bad, but still better than one found on newer CPU's. I recommend better cooler.

How do i eliminate resonance?

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

1+ agreed, stock intel coolers are useless and at best keep your cpu at full load at like 5C from the limit if your lucky, i don't know why Intel boxes that trash with their cpus to tell you the truth, $250 cpu with $5 cooler....makes no scene.

i have no idea what he means by this too.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

1+ agreed, stock intel coolers are useless and at best keep your cpu at full load at like 5C from the limit if your lucky, i don't know why Intel boxes that trash with their cpus to tell you the truth, $250 cpu with $5 cooler....makes no scene.

To make CPU and motherboard break faster. = More sold CPU's and less motherboards for second hand market.

Not sure if I understood you right. You mean fan is causing noise when it close to panel and airflow is causing that noise? And fan does not make contact with panel?

Edited by Drillingmachine, 16 January 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#13 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

To make CPU and motherboard break faster. = More sold CPU's and less motherboards for second hand market.

Agreed, saw a bad case of that not that long ago on this forum, dude had a $500 top of the line Intel i7 extreme K version cpu and was using the stock cooler, 2 years after the fact turns out the cpu at stock speed and voltage was dead, well half dead, computer still worked with the cpu if you didn't mind it crashing all over the place all day.

We found out this was the case cus he changed the cpu's to a back up i5 cpu and the conic BSOD topic stopped like magic, lol $500 cpu with $5 cooler, that made me angry to see that and it wasn't even my computer.

Though more volts more cooling and less mhz sometimes fixs cpus like that, at lest for a wile.

#14 SociallyAwkward

SociallyAwkward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

Not sure if I understood you right. You mean fan is causing noise when it close to panel and airflow is causing that noise? And fan does not make contact with panel?

No the fan does not make any contact with the panel. When it's screwed onto the grid mesh, it makes a loud zooming sound. However, when i remove the fan(unscrew it off of the grid mesh) it is as quiet as can be. Here is a slightly similar problem:

https://youtu.be/1sxfgHQ-miM

Regarding the cooler, I'll be upgrading to an aftermarket cooler in the next month. Hopefully that helps. I will try replacing the thermal paste in the mean time.

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

For now you can underclock and under volt the cpu  to keep the heat levels in check as your waiting for the new cooler, i know i would and have on my system, kind of have a little bit of a cooling problem at my end too though i only how to lower the speed to stock, was running the chip 25% past stock speed for years but had to stop for now cus of my cooling system problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users