Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wd ex drive fail.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lucas22

lucas22

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

hi

As the title says i think i may have lost an ex drive,but was wondering if any of the kind forum users can tell me if i have missed something before i resign it to the bin.The drive is a western digital 2tb ex drive.last time i booted my pc suddenly it had shrunk to 500mb and my data was gone,i noticed that the file system is now fat instead of ntfs like my other ex drive.oddly when i looked at it in speccy it shows a capacity of 1863 gb with a partition of 511mb!

any help would be great as iam a bit of a noob with this.

cheers g

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2017 - 11:59 AM.
Moved from System Building to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

Sounds like some tool created a partition and formated the drive by mistake! did you tried to use some tool to create a bootable flash drive for example?

There are paid Recovery programs that should be able to recover most of the data from the drive specially because the new partition is small so all the other remaining disk space is intact that is important to have more chances of recovery the data stored on that part of the disk.

Software that I use for that GetDataBack https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free can only recover 2GB for free http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm should give you the idea about what you can recover.

Important: Make sure you have another disk to store the recovered files because they can't be saved to the same HDD that data is recovering from.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

I am curious. Was the external drive connected to a computer with Windows 10?

#4 lucas22

lucas22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

thanks for the input sleepy dude.

I tried the getdataback software and lo and behold there was my data in another partition that i cant see with windows explorer,the strange thing  is why did this happen?I have not used any formatting tools at all,the only thing i can think of is there was a windows 10 update around the same time this happened.iam not saying this was the cause but still very weird all the same.

Anyway thanks again for the help guys.

#5 lucas22

lucas22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

btw sorry for posting in the wrong section hamluis,couldn't for the life of me figure out how to move it once posted. 

Mod Edit:  Not a problem :) - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

A windows 10 update was known to bork partitions on external drives. I surmised this because the partition was approx 500MB and formatted FAT. Was it FAT32 vs FAT?

You may be able to recover your files using Testdisk for Windows. Download the 32bit version vs the 64bit version even if you have a 64bit OS. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Double click the Testdisk exe file. 

Run the quick search on the external drive per the step by step guide. Do not select a drive letter. Use the sdxx designation Testdisk lists. For an external drive it may be sdb if you only have one internal HDD. You can verify it by looking at the capacity of the drive. Your boot drive is most likely sda. 

Highlight any partitions it finds and press the "P" key. Do you see your files. If you do and you have enough space to recover them on your internal drive select any directory by pressing the ":" key and then the upper case "C" key to copy. This will recover the files to the unzipped folder of Testdisk as default.

If the Quick Search finds no partitions other than the 500mb partition then do a Deeper Search but be prepared for a long wait on a 2TB drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#7 lucas22

lucas22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

ok guys

thanks for all your help that info will give me something to go on.

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users