Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burn bootable ISO (2GB) across multiple CDs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hostgem

hostgem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hi all,

I've acquired an old HP ProLiant DL380 (Gen 3) server, and would like to use this to play with Windows Server 2008 / 2012.

I have downloaded an ISO file for the OS (2GB), however, am stuck with how to install on this machine. This model is installed with CD ROM (not DVD), and doesn't boot from USB (some reading has suggested that this early model wasn't ever intended to boot from USB).

I've experimented with various software applications, hoping to be able to split the bootable ISO file across multiple CDs, however, haven't been successful.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  :clapping: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

Hi.

You may find this to be of some use (assuming you haven't already got hold of it):-

http://www.istoragenetworks.com/servermanuals/dl380g3_userguide.pdf

However, from the age of the server (2002/3), I rather suspect you'll find that it was originally designed by HP to run the then current Windows server OS, which would have been Windows Server 2003. This was around 520 MB in size, which would, of course, fit comfortably on a CD:-

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=21700

I reckon the only way that you could install a later edition on there (assuming it has sufficient RAM/storage capacity) would be to swap out the CD-ROM drive for a DVD drive. That's the only way I can think of that you could get this to work, given the hardware variables in play.

Hope that helps, anyway.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 January 2017 - 07:49 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 hostgem

hostgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for your input mate, much appreciated. You're pretty much right in your summary, so will look to start with replacing the CD drive with a DVD drive.

I'll keep this topic updated with my progress.

Cheers   :thumbup2:

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Please do. I'll be interested to see just how you get on with such an archaic beast!

That's the first time I think I've ever seen CPU's sitting inside a cage, inside the case itself. It's not that easy to tell from the diagrams in that user manual...

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 hostgem

hostgem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

A quick update on this.

I have purchase a new DVD-ROM drive (HP DV-28E 268795-001) to replace the existing CD-ROM drive.

This is the official DVD-ROM drive for this server, so should hopefully slot right in, permitting me to install Windows Server 2008. It will be about a week until this arrives, so stay tuned!

Thanks for your help   :busy: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users