Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't start after windows update/chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rubicant112

rubicant112

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

I had windows update off for over a year because of the windows 10 bs. My laptop has been slow starting up lately, so I decided to have it run chkdsk on restart. Then I decided to do windows update. It downloaded all the updates and I restated my laptop. It ran chkdsk, seemed to find some bad clusters or something and replaced them. Now on boot, it only goes to startup repair no matter what I do. Can't boot into safe mode, last known good config doesn't do anything. Startup repair Gives me an error with memory instance or something. Was able to run another chkdsk /f /x - had to do it like that because it said it was locked. System restore wasn't letting me choose a restore point. Put in a command in the cmd box, and it let me Choose one, but I got another error like the one with startup repair. Ran chkdsk again, stopped at 79%, so I just closed it and restarted. Now startup repair says it cannot fix the problem because it's offline. I can't access windows at all. On restart it just says windows is loading files and goes right to startup repair. Tried using my windows 7 disk, but the same thing. I'd really hate to have to reinstall and lose everything. Any help is appreciated! I'm at work for a few more hours until I can try anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

You shouldn't run chkdsk without taking a backup first as chkdsk may make an existing problem worse and can cause data loss as it seems to be the case here. Especially if you stopped chkdsk before it has finished which isn't advised at all.

You may not necessarily lose everything, you could plug it into another PC via a USB-SATA docking station and see if you can recover data that way and then do a fresh reinstall but I also wouldn't write off the possibility of needing to buy a new HDD.

chkdsk should only be used if you're almost certain that there's a fault with the hard drive as it can work wonders.

Edited by Steven_M, 16 January 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#3 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

I let it run all the way the first time. Second time it was stuck at 79% for 8 hours. I went to bed when it was 79 and woke up and it was still at 79. Anyways, now I'm getting this message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix problem:

1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. choose your language settings, and click next
3. click "repair your computer"

If yo do not have this disc, contact your administrator system administrator or computer manufacture for assistance.

file: \windows\system32\config\system
info : windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or corrupt

#4 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you have an installation disk then you can get cmd prompt up and I would advise running sfc /scannow if possible.

Edited by Steven_M, 16 January 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#5 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

It tells me there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restarting takes me back to my last post about the file missing or corrupt.

Edited by rubicant112, 16 January 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#6 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

This is what I got from the error check, and this also happens when I try to use the system recovery options menu choosing windows 7. I attached two pictures.

Attached Files

#7 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

Personally, I would just take out the hard drive, plug it in via a SATA docking station (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinolink-Converter-Adapter-Switch-included/dp/B01F7ENJ6U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484642476&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=usb+to+sata&psc=1), attempt to recover the data on it then format the drive and reinstall windows. Not entirely sure what's going on here I think the chkdsk has got rid of some of the system files which is why it won't boot but if you are putting in the correct recovery disk it's a bit of a strange one.

If you need to get the product key off of the Hard drive that can be done by using a program called Produkey, run it as administrator and it's fairly self explanatory on there.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

#8 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:07 AM

It's just the windows 7 disk that's in. I don't have the recovery disk. Can't I replace the ntosknl file or something? I can access folders from the windows 7 disk. Also, I have another HDD slot in my laptop that isn't being used.

#9 MaryaJacklon

MaryaJacklon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

i think you should restore your system it may help you to undu the changes that you have made by updating your computer 

c01873224.gif

#10 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:09 AM

It wouldn't let me. Kept getting the memory instance error, whatever that is. Now I can't do it because it says restart and choose the windows to restore. Restarting says ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. System recovery options says "Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk."

#11 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

If you have the product key for Windows you can download an ISO from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

If you don't then refer to post #7 on how to get a product key off of a problematic drive.

#12 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

I have a windows 7 installation disk. I can boot from it, but can't repair from it.

#13 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Edit. 

Misread your reply.

Looks like it's knackered.

Instead of going into repair options, are you able to get into installation options?

Worth trying to do a clean install.

Edited by Steven_M, 18 January 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#14 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

I can get to it. I've tried to upgrade, but that tells me to log into windows and do it that way, which I can't log in. I just don't want to lose all my programs that use install keys and go about finding the keys/emailing customer service etc.

#15 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

You don't wan to upgrade, you want to do a custom installation.

Regarding product keys, as I said about Produkey, if you want to get them off you'll have to remove your HDD plug it into a computer via a SATA to USB adapter etc... 

All programs will need to be reinstalled.

If we literally can't do anything, can't run sfc /scannow, can't repair it with boot disk and all other potential options seem to pop up with various errors, then I can't think of anything else to try.

You can let the thread float around a bit and see if anyone else can come up with alternate solutions, it's completely up to you.

Edited by Steven_M, 18 January 2017 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users