Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect v6.3 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bromberg

bromberg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

I have 2 PCs running Vista but one of them was more up-to-date than the other, so I decided to use Macrium Reflect v6.3 to sync them. I successfully created a differential image backup of my more current PC and saved it to an external HDD. When I used the Macrium PE 3.1 rescue disk and pointed it to this Macrium backup, after 3 hours I received a report that the restore to the second Vista PC completed successfully. However, when I tried to boot this second PC I received a BSOD with a STATUS code: 0xc000000f and a STOP code: 0x0000007B and an error message: "THE BOOT SELECTION FAILED BECAUSE A REQUIRED DEVICE IS INACCESSIBLE".

The PC I attempted to restore to was functioning fine (under Vista) with no problems but now Macrium will not let it boot (since it terminates with a BSOD).

Thanks,

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

created a differential image backup of my more current PC and saved it to an external HDD. When I used the Macrium PE 3.1 rescue disk and pointed it to this Macrium backup, after 3 hours I received a report that the restore to the second Vista PC (underlining mine)

If I understand correctly, you attempted to update your "older-update" PC by overwriting a Vista image onto it created from your currently-updated Vista PC, assuming that only the older update files would be overwritten and would result in the older Vista machine being current with the newer (or, as you said, "synced"). Please correct me if I am wrong.

IF this is what you were attempting, it will not work. What happened is that the older version of Vista is now corrupted and will not boot. I think I understand what you were attempting, but these were two different operating systems even though they were the same "model" version of Windows (Vista).

Macrium Reflect is not preventing the system from booting, it did its job. The system is damaged in the attempt to "overlay" a new system over the old. Whether it can be recovered or not is doubtful at this point. If you have made a backup image of the older system by itself, I would suggest re-imaging on the external drive and restoring back to the original, and try to find the Vista updates to properly update the system.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users