Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get on the internet on my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

I had a comment going earlier on this site, and the help I got didn't get us anywhere. Is there someone who can help me with this problem. i am going to say I have seen some say it had something to do with hosts, some said it was dns? it is under my username taylor1277. really need help. I am on my tablet now typing this. So if it can be done manually maybe,great. Don't want to have to revert everything. There has to be a way. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

We talking wifi or wire ? and have you tied both ? what windows version you using ?

#3 taylor1277

taylor1277
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

well hello shadow_647 right now I am running Iobit Malware Fighter 4.3 free.just to let you know. anyway I am running windows 8.1 64bit (x86). I use Mcafee for my antivirus, worked well over the last 1.5 since i got the laptop. then my renewal for mcafee came, then all hell broke loose. around the 12th of jan i started realizing it was harder to connect to the internet, jan 14th I couldn't get on my laptop, i use google chrome it was up to date too. but that is where my problem lies, i can't connect to the internet. tried running IE, nothin.I really don't want to revert my system back to factory install. then i have questions about backing up my files if that is what has to be done. but there has to be a way to do it some other way. can someone help. I am also getting on FIVRRR.com to ask someone there for help. I have to pay but I can do something to that extent.any other system info you need. I am getting off tonight, next day off work, tuesday. please if you think you know what is wrong, and can give me detailed instructions that would be great.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Hello too :)

btw you didn't answer the question about wifi or wire.

Have to tried to ping 8.8.8.8 from the command line ?

#5 taylor1277

taylor1277
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

wifi at home. everything else connects. will try to ping now

#6 taylor1277

taylor1277
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

pinged 8.8.8.8 got
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
repeat this 3 more times

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8.
Packets: Sent=4 Received=0 Lost=4 (100% loss).
that is what I got.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

hemm and in some of your posts you talking about security software that likes to interfere with the network and when you had a problem with that it broke the network at the same time or sounds like it, not fun, my self everything that plays around with your network i would try and uninstall it just for now and see what happens.

Avira free decent if you need something in a free in a pinch as well, just block everything it douse on a firewall level, things more or less spyware like most AV now.

If you have a lan cable i would try that too just for fun, but it sounds like everything network wise is probably broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users