Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What else should I do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 C:\Temp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

I have a laptop running Windows 10 with as many of the features turned off as possible, in reference to privacy concerns. I conduct all of my online and offline use with a local account and my browser of choice is Google Chrome running the Adblock extension and the Ghostery extension. I'm using Bitdefender anti virus free edition.  

What else should I consider implementing to better secure my computer with layer's of security?  

I'm currently researching free anti exploit software. What ever free software that I use, regardless of what it does, it can not interfere with any other security software or turn it off. For example, I downloaded and installed ZoneAlarm free firewall and it turned off the Windows 10 firewall by default. I ended up uninstalling the ZoneAlarm free firewall, due to the fact that every time I turned the Windows 10 firewall on to run with the ZoneAlarm free firewall as an extra layer of security, the Windows 10 firewall would turn off by default, upon restarting Windows 10.

One more thing that I do not wish to have is constant ad's popping up with the free software, if possible. Thanks.  

Edited by C:\Temp, 15 January 2017 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kedanli

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

1. don't use more then one firewall at a time. I would recommend using windows 10 firewall only.

2. If you would like to add an extra layer of security without costs, ad's and system slow downs I would highly recommend considering this:

A good Software helping you doing this (even in home version of windows 10) you can find here (look at my post):

The software is free and has no popups. It is open source as well....

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,715 posts
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

You do not need a third party Firewall...just use Windows built-in Firewall which is sufficient and provides adequate protection.If you're concerned about accessibility or configuration limitations, there are several Windows Firewall Tools which can be used to extend the default Windows firewall behavior and for quick access to define rules and configure the most frequently used options.If you upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning to provide additional protection against malware for those using a third party anti-virus program as their primary protection. This feature allows you to run occasional scans with Windows Defender without conflicting with the third-party anti-virus. When enabled, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your computer (or allow you to schedule scans) for threats and remove them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

The best thing you can do is make regular backups.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users