Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my wife from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I'm going to be ordering on line and I came across this (link below). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will do what we need? Thank you!

.http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-64bit-Lifetime-Official-Full-New-Key-D-L/414564232?goog_pla=1&gpid=173784728461&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o6&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiA2OzDBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdiZSqnxb-eyVmfafsnSissjOTgFKrwWeMWUurLGNIuiRoCldvw_wcB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

""

We do not provide any physical shipment, no discs, or other physical media delivery available.

>> No Box No DVD will be shipped, Only the Product Key and Official download link ""

The ""Official d'load Link""....would worry me....as far as I am aware that is not available. It is possible i am wrong.

Reading material

As loath as I am to say this...maybe win 10 might be a better option.....at least then you know you will have 'support' for quite a few years....

Or......there is Linux

Do yourself and your wife a favour and read the article.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Just another website illegally selling Windows keys, IMO.  MS does not/has not authorized the selling of keys without media in over 11 years.  Such selling was a contributor to the establishment of Product Activation.

Louis

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Thank you. Already suggested 10, she would rather not deal with 10. I know I will NOT be ordering what I posted.

Trying to get the best price I can for W7 Installation. Any suggestions?

Edited by ocean77, 15 January 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hi:

Trying to get the best price I can for W7 Installation. Any suggestions?

My only suggestion: caveat emptor.

That is especially so if "best price" is your primary criterion.

If the price sounds too good to be true, it's a sure bet that it will be...

Unfortunately, it's a set-up for being scammed by unscrupulous sellers.

You will not be the first and you probably will not be the last.

Sorry to sound harsh, but the window <pun intended> for getting Win7 legally has been closing for a long while.

I would be very, very careful.

In fact, I would suggest that you forego the idea and go with Win10.

I, too, dragged my feet for a year and did a lot of research about it before I took the plunge.

It was not nearly as bad as the paranoiacs said it would be.

There is room for improvement, just as there was with XP (3 services packs!), Vista (2 services packs!), 7 (1 service pack and umpteen patches!), etc.

Most of the loudest, vociferous complaints about Win10 come from those who have never tried it or used it.

I do not work for MS.

I am just a home user.

And this is just my personal experience and opinion.

Cheers,

MM

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Amazon or some other reliable vendor with a known-good reputation...would be my only source of software if I were not purchasing directly from the developer's website.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

You should check if the computer is upgradable to Windows 7 using the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

If your wife only uses the computer to browse the internet, read email, and do the occasional spreadsheet or document then I agree with Condobloke, look at linux.

You don't even need to install it. Simple burn a DVD and boot the disk. For people moving form Windows Mint is a good option. It comes in different versions.

Mint Cinnamon or Mint Mate

Your chances of getting infected with malware would be slim and none and you would definitely avoid any Windows 7 update issues on a clean install. If you have any further question you can post them in the Linux Forum.

#8 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

I put W 10 on my PC for about 3 months and chose not to keep it. I have W 8.1 and that is good for me right now. I would like my wife to go with !0, but I think I will have to convince her. I thought with W 7 being so far behind right now it would be easy to get a good price. Well, what ever we do we will be doing it this week. Thanks for all the help. I pray my wife makes this easy.

#9 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

Tested the computer and it is good to go to Windows 7 Home premium. Wife wants to know if we can go to Windows 8, but not even sure if there is Full W 8 Home Premium. I did do a check with Google and I think I saw where it can be purchased for about $150.00. For that kind of money I would like to see my wife go with a new PC with W 10, but she doesn't want to spend all that money right now. 

What to do??????

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

You may be interested in this article. According to the very well known author Vista counts as an upgrade and you can use upgrade media, even doing a clean install with it.

But chances are, you (or, more properly, your PC) does in fact qualify for the Upgrade version. And that’s because a PC that came with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 does qualify. 

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

#11 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Not quite sure if I follow this. I purchase this Widows 8 disk from Microsoft, install it and we are good to go? Is this correct? I was planning on putting all her files on a flash drive just in case. Do you think this a must do? Thank you! 

#12 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Hi:

Sorry to sound like the skunk at the garden party again.

And I write only from the perspective of another home user, not an expert.

The article cited -- about Windows 8 -- dates back to 2012.

The advice may still apply today -- I do not know.

But Windows 8 is no longer supported.

You would have to upgrade to 8.1 anyway.

There was a reason Windows 8/8.1 was dropped so quickly by MS (and was called Win H8 by users).

If this were my computer, and I were going to go to all the trouble to upgrade the OS on existing hardware (assuming it's all compatible), I would choose a stable OS supported for at least the next 3 years (Win7) or a pretty stable OS that will continue to improve and that will be supported long after that (Win10).

That, again, is just my two cents and worth less.

Cheers,

MM

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

If you are planning on doing a major OS change like this it is essential that you back up all your data before even thinking about starting it as most major updates, there are exceptions, will start by formatting the hard drive !  Good bye data !

In any case you should back up your data on a fairly regular basis to external storage. You can use one large - say 2TB - USB3 hard drive for more than one computer but, once you have backed up the data do NOT leave the external drive connected. You only connect it when either backing up or restoring data. This way, if your computer gets infected, perhaps with ransomware, you have a clean copy of your data all ready to be reinstalled as soon as you clean up the infection. Remember that any drive connected to a computer that gets infected is likely to be infected as well.

Your data and your wife's is the only important stuff on any computer you own/control. Operating systems and applications can be readily re-installed, it is merely tedious. If your data - photos, documents, music, whatever - gets deleted/corrupted it is gone unless you have a back-up. Sorry if I seem to be banging on a bit on this subject but you only have to look around BC to realise how many people have lost important data just because they didn't have a back-up policy in place. And external hard drives are fairly cheap !

Chris Cosgrove

PS  If you want more advice on backing up data there is a whole section of BC devoted to the topic -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 January 2017 - 08:04 PM.
Add PS

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

^^ THAT is indeed MOST CRITICAL and MOST HELPFUL advice. ^^

With all the talk about which OS to choose, the most critical step in the process may have been lost in the shuffle. 

Excellent reminder, @Chris Cosgrove!

MM

#15 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

Yes, I do plan on backing up everything. I was thinking an 8GB Flash drive would cover what we need. So it is probably best to go with Win7 over Win8?

I have Win8.1 on my PC so I was thinking it is good for at least the next 3 yrs. I did install Win10 back when they were offering it for free, but I only kept it a few months then I uninstalled because they said it was having issues. I felt safe with Win8.1.

Okay, back to the original topic. I will go with Win7 as far as the upgrade on my Wife's PC? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users