Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to export NEF files to JPG for best Facebook quality in GIMP?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ashleyxxpiano

ashleyxxpiano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hey I'm looking for compression and exporting recommendations!

Unfortunately, I took an awesome picture of a drone in flight while my Nikon was set to save NEF / RAW files.... So I have this great shot I've edited in Gimp and it appears crystal clear until I upload it to Facebook.

I've tried setting it to Facebook's sizing recommendations (720px, 960px or 2048px wide) as well as compressing the file size to under 100KB. I export it to JPG for my personal color preferences. The picture looks great on my computer still, and then I upload it to an HD folder on Facebook and it's disgusting... 

Anyone know the exact parameters I should use in GIMP or what I should set each individual compression option to when exporting? Any advice is appreciated!!! I want this photo to sparkle online a little more than what I've been able to achieve so far. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

I know nothing about Facebook, but JPEG or JPG is an image compression format, so Facebook is further compressing an already compressed image. If what Claire22 says is true, export your RAW image as a .png (or other non-compressed format Facebook will accept) and go from there. If you choose .png, then when you press the "export" button, it will open an option screen and you can adjust the image size. Push the slider control left to "0" (no compression) for the highest quality and then save.

So, you would:

Open your pic in Gimp

File >Export as >(choose your format and name the new file)

OK

Slide the compression adjuster to "0".

Save.

Wish I could help you more, but I am clueless as to Facebook.

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 March 2017 - 05:33 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users