Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm trying to decide which to purchase, Windows 10 or 7, which to choose?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

On my home desktop PC, I'm currently running LinuxMint 18. However, I'm thinking of dual-boot installing a version of Windows along side it so I can use Windows software when I need to. I'm debating on going with Windows 7 or Windows 10. 

I've used both versions and personally prefer Windows 7 since it is specifically designed and optimized for a desktop PC use and experience.

Windows 8/8.1/10 seems to be designed to work on several different devices simultaneously, like for example a tablet and/or a smart phone and various other future devices (and so it probably doesn't do a good job on any of them really) and I personally wasn't impressed with using it as a desktop OS when I was testing/trying Windows 10 when it was first released.

My questions are:

1) Why should I chose Windows 10 over Windows 7 and what exactly are the main differences?

2) If I chose to go with Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, does 10 have a Windows 7 mode that I would be more comfortable in using?

Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2017 - 09:14 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Install Virtual Box

Then install either or both win 7 and/or win 10, and play with both of them

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

1) Why should I chose Windows 10 over Windows 7 and what exactly are the main differences?

If you like massive spyware and being a permanent beta tester for the permanent beta Os with forced updates and the like winspy10 is for you!, O its has directX 12 yay

2) If I chose to go with Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, does 10 have a Windows 7 mode that I would be more comfortable in using?

Doubt it.

#4 trevorjohn88

trevorjohn88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Windows 7 is the better option in my eyes choose the updates you want and microsoft won't have the handle of what you are doing on your PC

want microsoft to judge you by your keystrokes? go to ten then.....

Also when i downgraded from ten to seven i noticed a constable amount of boost in preference.... windows 10 is actually slower then windows 7....

but its for you to judge....

Edited by trevorjohn88, 15 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

Win 10 or Win 7 ?  Why don't you ask an easy question ?

I do not have a great deal of experience with 10, I have used it but not on either of my primary computers. The (slightly) majority opinion here is that it is a very good OS and the latest versions are highly configurable. There is always the controversy about telemetry, about which some are seriously paranoid, but the privacy functions can be maximised, ie you can minimise the amount of data which MS collect to purely technical matters. All OS, and most apps, 'phone home' to a greater or lesser extent. It's a fact of life and so long as you can minimise the data collected not one to lose sleep over. The principal drawbacks to Win 10 at the moment are that a fairly large number of people have reported wifi problems and there have been reports of display problems in that the window you want active does not always come to the foreground automatically.

Probably the biggest drawback to Win 7 is that it becomes EOL in almost exactly three years. After that it probably comes down to hardware but most computers that can run Win 7 can run Win 10 so long as the drivers you may need are available. This is something I would investigate before I made the decision. You will also find that some software is not, or not yet, supported on Win 10.

As for making Win 10 look more like Win 7, there is always 'Classic Shell'. This doesn't give you a 'Win 7 mode' but does give you the look of Win 7 - or Vista, or XP !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

Seems too people that like gaming in this case older games in win10 nothing works too :(

#7 trevorjohn88

trevorjohn88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

one reason i downgraded from windows 10 was the pure fact of trying to get my computer to wake from sleep mode this would end up in a blank screen and a manual restart every time with my PC i don't know if microsoft ever fixed the issue, i didn't care enough to see if they did or not....

#8 trevorjohn88

trevorjohn88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Seems too people that like gaming in this case older games in win10 nothing works too :(

D-Fends is the best to run dos related game on x64, if you want to play old games like that is best to find an old PC from 99 era, i am hoping to do a PII or PIII build in my near future with 512 or 1gb of ram to get a reliable windows 98 PC for gaming basis.... just hard to locate the hardware now a days.....

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

True and im lucky on that topic, i have a win98se system all good to go for classic games and a pile of older hardware in stock, but its bin years since i used it, for parts you need to know of a good computer junk yard place or you can just hit ebay, older parts on ebay kind of seem like a rip off though and the good stuff from years gone by people know they worth something to retro gaming nerds like us lol so they ask for a premium for the parts.

If your lucky you can farm a really old win98 box at a garage sale or something for like $20.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hi:

The highest level of paranoia, the loudest complaints and most negative opinions about Win10 always seem to emanate from those who have no experience with it. :unsure:

And without knowing your hardware, we cannot know for sure how either Win7 or Win10 will run on your specific system.

I'm not sure if a used Win98 antique from eBay or a garage sale will meet your needs, @Punchy71.

For the record, there are few LEGAL Win7 licenses to be had nowadays from legitimate sources -- cost should not be your primary determinant (if it the price sounds too good to be true, it almost definitely will turn out to be the case).  Caveat emptor.

As for Win10, in desktop mode, with or without Classic Shell, it is more than acceptable for routine computing. 

I am not an apologist for  Redmond.

But I use both Win7 and Win10 every day -- Win10 is just fine. And, no, it is not slower than Win7; to the contrary.

I do not game, so I cannot speak to that.

Like any brand new OS, there are quirks and features and settings to learn, but it's not hard.

Trying both, as was suggested, will entail purchase of two legit licenses, one for Win7 and another for Win10 -- that may or may not be feasible from a budget standpoint. 

I agree with @Chris Cosgrove that Win10 is probably the wiser expenditure at this point.

It may also be safer, as locating a legitimate Win7 license/media from a legal source will be increasingly hard, as time goes by.

That is only my personal opinion and experience as a home computer user,

MM

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

I can only second what MoxieMomma has said, as loudly as possible.

I also think the note Chris Cosgrove makes about the End Of Life for Windows 7 is worth very careful consideration if the hardware you're planning on dual booting is fairly new.  I somehow seem to keep virtually any computer I own far past what everyone says should be it's hardware death date, and the one thing I don't and won't do is run an unsupported version of Windows on it if I know I will be having any interactions with cyberspace, and these days who among us isn't doing so on a constant basis?

I loved Windows 7, hated Windows 8, warmed only slightly to Windows 8.1, and love Windows 10.  It has married everything I liked about Windows 7 and earlier with the things that were genuinely good about Windows 8.  I also find that it performs more efficiently than Windows 7 did, and that has been improving as time goes by with the major releases.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

I would look on Ebay for Windows 7. Buy from a seller that is at least 99% plus and has an Ebay guarantee allowing you a refund if the key is refused.

If contemplating Windows 10 then make sure it has Windows 10 drivers for your hardware, especially if you have an older AMD graphics card. If running Wifi it would be a good idea to check if your chipset has Windows 10 drivers available. 

I second Condobloke's suggestion. If you have enough RAM and a strong enough CPU look at setting up a VM with Virtual Box. 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

A wise man once said..."On my home desktop PC, I'm currently running LinuxMint 18"

then there was .....""The highest level of paranoia, the loudest complaints and most negative opinions about Win10 always seem to emanate from those who have no experience with it.""

I believe that is called 'preaching to the converted'.....i may be wrong...(but i seriously doubt it)

Chris Cosgroves' advice is spot on the money as usual...""the privacy functions can be maximised, ie you can minimise the amount of data which MS collect to purely technical matters""

Win 7, due to EOL considerations is not a good choice atm (imo)...although JohnC's of looking on ebay may hold some promise.....perhaps it depends on which Programs you need to run on it..??

Like yourself I also run LINUX Mint 18

To keep track of current happenings and for forum work I keep an install of Win 10 on a VIRTUAL MACHINE.

To start win 10, i simply double click on a shortcut on my desktop....and approx 12 seconds later, there it is (both linux and win10 are mounted on an SSD)

It is much easier to set up than it appears.....but again as John said above, it will all ultimately depend on the amount of ram you have, hard drive space and cpu ability

I am running 8GB ram, and the install of windows 10 takes up approx 25GB

The really nice thing is that if win 10 dies or bsod's or whatever.....I simply delete it....and reinstall it.......the whole process takes approx 10 minutes

We have a number of members here who will gladly help with the setup....cat1092 being one of them. Master of the art.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

One things for shore if i installed a copy of win10 and spent like a week with it to see what its all about i would know more about it at that point vs what i know now on the topic from what iv read about it from others, but i know this much from my research, if i did use it for a week chances are i wouldn't change my views on it they would only get worse and id have 100x more topic to point out on how bad they are in win10 lolz.

Chances are too after one week of win10 id need professional help with medications from the psychological damage that Os would do to my brain.

Why do i get the feeling this topic could turn in to win10 flame wars once more like it has on 100000x forums all over the net when ever this topic pops up, whatever its still a hellafunny  ;)

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

Personally speaking...Win 7 I use daily and like it a lot.

Win 10 I use daily and like it a lot.

Punchy why not just toss a coin??

Win win situation :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users