Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled water on my pc throught the top vents

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tanerex1050

tanerex1050

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

I Spilled water on my pc throught the top vents, i didnt take anything out of their slots i just took the side panel off and let it dry out for about an hour then i plugged my power cored back in and my red idle light on my case turned on so i hit the power button and it turned on but about 2 minutes in it turned off and i could smell smoke coming from the case (just a smell not any visuals) everything has the scent of it but i unplugged the ram and put it in another computer and it worked, i put the gpu in another computer and it worked i would maybe suspect a cpu being fried but not sure atm i changed power supplies to try to see if that was why the computer wouldnt turn on but still nothing 

any help/ advise you could give me am i gonna have to get a new cpu/ motherboard??? is it maybe saveable if i let it dry out???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

When you get the crispy electronics smell from burning parts i would say that computer done but some of the parts in it might still be good, sadly your going to have to test every part by it self to find out whats good or not i would think.

Edited by shadow_647, 15 January 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#3 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

shadow_647 id like to say the motherboard is still okay and the cpu but still to find out lolol, the powersupply took all the water and it would make since why everything has the crispy cooking smell because the power supply is connected to everything but until i drain it out and see if it still works i cant really swap motherboards atm

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Just let it 100% dry, more then that i don't know what to say, if your lucky its just a dead psu.

I remember long ago i use to know this dude that i was buddy's with that killed his computer and in the end he just gave me the hole computer, he was messing with something inside the case with it running and the side case off, he shorted out something and that overloaded the psu, psu exploded and from the story he told me their were lighting bolts shooting around his case when it happened and it put the fear of god in him, hole pc went up in smoke, when i took the thing apart i found some chips on the mobo that were singed, it was nuts and you could tell he wasn't lying about the lighting bolts and everything was dead, well all most, oddly the cpu didn't die and i ended up using the cpu for years after the fact.

Cpu was a slot 1 Intel p3 500mgz cpu, ended up being able to overclock the thing for some years to 600mgz with custom cooling.

#5 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

lolol sound like a heck of a mess up xD but yeah ill let it all dry and see what i can salvage if not get it up and running again 

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Real mess to check out the parts too and if you stick dead parts in to good ones theirs a risk one part kills the other, just so you know and if your going to open up the psu watch your self, their are cases of people dieing from that though not many and my self iv opened up psu for years with out problems, maybe the safe way to deal with a psu before opening it up is to power the psu on by jumping the pins to power it on with out it being plugged in to anything.

I know i use to do the same when working on old CRT TVs, i use to pull the power cord out then turn the TV on to drain the power out of the system.

Working on and insides of a old CRT TV is way scary.

Edited by shadow_647, 16 January 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#7 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

alright so new problem has accured

#8 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

pc boots up perfectly and starts normal (all original parts are in it) but it randomly shuts the displays off but the computer will still idle also my cpu temp idle is around 45 celsius and my cpu usage when running a game is at 85% now when it used to be 25% any help???

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

O_o cpu fan still working ?

#10 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

sorry i just got a corsair hi100 v2 cpu cooler today and put it on still unstable any opinions

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

Ya a full round of hardware tests and maybe some underclocking.

#12 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

how to underclock cpu also my max frequency is around 90% is that supposed to be up there like that??

the idle is now 3% to 10% but when i open anything it jumps hella up almost like its purposly giving everything its all when it doesnt need too

#13 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

and also it will randomly turn off if i open a game like arma 2 OA

#14 tanerex1050

tanerex1050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

another note if i go into bios it will randomly shut off

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

My self i would go in to full hardware diagnostics mode on a computer like that, sometimes when things brake they only half brake, trick now is trying to find out whats broken.

And to underclock things you need to know how to work a bios, for now try and run your system with one stick of ram and do some memtest runs on each stick of ram by it self and see what happens, got to start somewhere, as well you could try a good cleaning of all pc parts with something like zippo fuel and reseat everything a feu times, make shore theirs no water anywhere in their and be shore to touch the case once before going in and have the power cord removed from the wall for 10 sec before messing with parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users