Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I still safe even though Chrome blocked website claiming it was phishing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eca765

eca765

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Outlook did not mark it as spam, I thought it was a genuine amazon email, it looked authentic. The email said I ordered something from a marketplace seller(I did not!). So i clicked on the link that says "get help". I got redirected to the page Chrome blocked, would I still be infected with malware ? Chrome uses google websafe that black list websites that are malicious. All security updates were updated already. Chrome was also up to date. As soon it had happened I used avast scanned for an hour nothing came up. Malwarebytes same result. I was on Incognito Mode as well. Afterwards I changed my passwords.

So I am curious about whether I could get a virus or malware by clicking a link. I read somewhere there you could get malware without any interaction like a script being activated, or malware downloaded without noticing it, not like an attachment that contains macros. 

I know this is probably just phishing scam just to get my details, but I am still scared.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

I think your safe, internet site was blocked.

Chances are if the site wasn't blocked next thing buddy's would have tried to do is a drive by download or social engineering attack of some kind, but i think your good.

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

So you got the red page with the 'X' on it telling you that Chrome had blocked the page..possibly saying something like "Deceptive site ahead" and then giving you the option to 'return/back to safety'? 

Well provided you did as instructed and 'returned to safety', then 99.9% sure that you are safe.

However, if you are still concerned, you could perform scans with either Malwarebytes (free edition), HitmanPro or Zemana (my personal fave!) anti-malware scanners; all of which are free to use and available to download safely within the Downloads forum of this website.

Edited by robby501, 18 January 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

The developers of Nemucod, CryptoWall, Locky, Ransom32, TeslaCrypt, KeyBTC, XRTN and other types of ransomware all have been known to use malicious .js (JScript) files often found in zipped email attachments disguised as fake PDF files which appear to be legitimate correspondence from reputable companies such as financial institutions, FedEx and UPS notices with tracking numbers. Attackers will use email addresses and subjects (purchase orders, bills, complaints, other business communications) that will entice a user to read the email and open the attachment. Another method involves tricking unwitting users into opening Order Confirmation emails by asking them to confirm an online e-commerce order, purchase or package shipment.If you did the wrong thing, you'd probably know about it already as there would be obvious indications (signs of infection).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 eca765

eca765
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for replying, I read the articles. I am probably safe, but I will be more careful next time.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

When you clicked on the link, Google Chrome blocked the page. This means that the HTTP request was not sent to the server and because of that there could not be a reply from the server, and thus you are safe.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 22 January 2017 - 03:15 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users