Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Issues Involving Power Surges

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeRingo

GeorgeRingo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hello, before I get into this issue I'd like to state that I'm a 15 year old with little to no experience with the technical side of computers. Oh, I've modded files for games and such and I know my way around my PC and OS, but not much else. Also, I'm not looking for 'send it back' or 'get it replaced' answers.

I run Windows 10 on an Acer E5-573G-74ZJ laptop. I purchased it in early January of 2016. A few months ago my mouse (a logitech g402) stopped working, and I received an error message that read 'Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply', with the options 'reset', which would 'reset' the port after unplugging any USB devices, or 'close', which it told me would make the USB port stop working until I restarted the computer. Obviously, yes the problem persisted beyond resetting or restarting the PC. And yes, the same thing happened with my other ports. The mouse would sometimes work when jiggled in a certain way, or sometimes when restarting the PC multiple times, but any movement of the cord close to the USB itself caused it to stop and send the error message again. I tested my mouses functionality with my friend, who has a logitech g502. My mouse worked in his ports, and his did not work in mine. My headphones (Plantronics Rig 500HD) however, have never experienced any problems to this day with the USB ports. The problem became so persistent, common and irritating that we sent it back, about one month ago.

They identified a problem with the USB ports, replaced them, and sent it back. Relieved, I set about getting all my data from my hard drive onto the PC, that's when I plug in my mouse. And I get the SAME error message. Unbelievably frustrating after a week of waiting. However still present, the problem seemed to be less common, and happened less often. Over the last month, however, it has slowly gotten worse and worse, until now my mouse doesn't work at all. I got a powered USB hub for christmas, so that I could stop worrying about it. With its OWN power source, and yet it ALSO gets the error message. My theory is that whatever controls the ports internally has malfunctioned somehow, limiting the power the ports are able to give out, but not completely, so that devices like my mouse, with LED's and sensors requires too much power, but devices like my headphones and flash drives don't require nearly as much power from the ports. Then again, no tech experience, so I'm open to any suggestions besides, 'Send it back', 'replace it' or 'Reset the PC' which I've tried or is out of the question. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that yes, I did factory reset my PC after it was 'repaired'

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2017 - 11:11 AM.
Moved from External to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons?

Try right clicking on the first device in the Device Manger and select Scan for hardware changes.  If the port has shut down this will force it to start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

I'm not looking for 'send it back' or 'get it replaced' answers

I understand your thought, but if this is still under warranty I suggest you contact the manufacturer and report that their "repair" didn't work. At this point, I would look suspiciously at the motherboard.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

Same thing happened on my mobo, in the end all 8 on-board usb stopped working and i would get "surges" warnings when used or even if nothing was plugged in,tied everything you can think of bios setting wise/ driver wise/ windows wise to fix the problem, never found a fix for it and ended up just using a add on usb card, lucky me i have ps2 keyboard and mouse support on this mobo or id be cooked and would have had to replace the hole mobo.

#5 GeorgeRingo

GeorgeRingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons?

Try right clicking on the first device in the Device Manger and select Scan for hardware changes.  If the port has shut down this will force it to start.

I have tried this, also tried uninstalling the USB devices in Device Manager and rebooting the PC to make them reinstall, nothing. It tells me they're all running perfectly. Thanks for the feedback, anyway.

I'm not looking for 'send it back' or 'get it replaced' answers

I understand your thought, but if this is still under warranty I suggest you contact the manufacturer and report that their "repair" didn't work. At this point, I would look suspiciously at the motherboard.

This is what I will do eventually, however since the first repair didn't actually work, I'd like to see if there are any fixes out there, or to see if this is a common problem. I would probably agree with you on the motherboard, but my laptop is completely sealed; I can't even take the battery out without unscrewing the case and voiding my warranty.

#6 GeorgeRingo

GeorgeRingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:02 AM

Same thing happened on my mobo, in the end all 8 on-board usb stopped working and i would get "surges" warnings when used or even if nothing was plugged in,tied everything you can think of bios setting wise/ driver wise/ windows wise to fix the problem, never found a fix for it and ended up just using a add on usb card, lucky me i have ps2 keyboard and mouse support on this mobo or id be cooked and would have had to replace the hole mobo.

Thats what I grudgingly expected my problem to turn out like, however I will keep this post up for a few days before returning the PC. I will try to get a replacement, but in all likelihood they will ask me to reset it before taking it back and 'repairing' it. What puzzles me is that my powered USB hub requires too much power from the USB ports, which is exactly the problem I got it to solve.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

I know you don't want to hear this, but you really need to consider having this computer repaired under warranty or have it replaced.  If you do something the the manufacturer can deem voids your warranty will leave you without any recourse but to pay for any repairs yourself.  What are you going to do if you determine that the motherboard has failed and the manufacturer deems that your troubleshooting violated your warranty?  This could become very expensive.  This is why a warranty is provided, I would suggest that you take advantage of it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 GeorgeRingo

GeorgeRingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I know you don't want to hear this, but you really need to consider having this computer repaired under warranty or have it replaced.  If you do something the the manufacturer can deem voids your warranty will leave you without any recourse but to pay for any repairs yourself.  What are you going to do if you determine that the motherboard has failed and the manufacturer deems that your troubleshooting violated your warranty?  This could become very expensive.  This is why a warranty is provided, I would suggest that you take advantage of it.

I always planned to send it back, I just hoped there would be a solution of some sort out there. Thanks for the advice.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I wish you the best of luck.

#10 GeorgeRingo

GeorgeRingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

I wish you the best of luck.

Thankyou. Have a lovely day. Its 2:48AM in Australia, so I'd better go to bed and send it back tommorow.

EDIT: Technically today

Edited by GeorgeRingo, 16 January 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

Good night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users