Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to get a new disk, any thing I should know?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

Hi all, relatively new to the pc world, but my last 2 pcs I've opened to modify in some way. According to the russion/English hddscan application, one of the numbers, sector count value I believe, which had a red box next to it.

But what was really the finAL straw was starting up my laptop this morning. Not only did it take ages, I restarted 3x because it seemed frozen (probably just taking ages ). So all of a sudden my pc is very slow at opening things. Once it's loaded (eg. Desktop, webpage) it seems to work fine.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this pc, because it's had a lot of problems, but at the moment I need it. Getting it done at a store will likely cost me nothing for labour, but if it's as easy as disconnecting he old one and connecting he new one it will be more convenient and a learning experience if I do it myself.

Also some reccomendations would be fine! Mine is a 1tb Toshiba drive, that has failed days past the 3 year mark. I know price estimates might be hard as I'm in south america, but about how much would that cost?

Edited by accidentally, 15 January 2017 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

Hi all, relatively new to the pc world, but my last 2 pcs I've opened to modify in some way. According to the russion/English hddscan application, one of the numbers, sector count value I believe, which had a red box next to it.

But what was really the finAL straw was starting up my laptop this morning. Not only did it take ages, I restarted 3x because it seemed frozen (probably just taking ages ). So all of a sudden my pc is very slow at opening things. Once it's loaded (eg. Desktop, webpage) it seems to work fine.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this pc, because it's had a lot of problems, but at the moment I need it. Getting it done at a store will likely cost me nothing for labour, but if it's as easy as disconnecting he old one and connecting he new one it will be more convenient and a learning experience if I do it myself.

Also some reccomendations would be fine! Mine is a 1tb Toshiba drive, that has failed days past the 3 year mark. I know price estimates might be hard as I'm in south america, but about how much would that cost?

What do you mean by "Going to get a new disk"?

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

Let me clarify, I have to purchase a hard disk because at the moment my relatively new (3yrs) hard disk is becoming unusable, not just to store data but to boot and run applications.

#4 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Look for a 3.5 inch internal SATA hard drive, not the 2.5 inch laptop ones, and don't pick any of the "green" ones that save energy, as they are typically slower.

If you can give us a link to a store you can buy from, we can help you choose.

#5 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'm likely going to go out and get something from the nearest tech mall.I could get something off of mercardo libre http://www.mercadolibre.com.co/ too especially if I cant find it in person.

Why would i replace my 2.5 inch HDD with a 3.5 inch one in the same laptop? From what I know the 2.5 ones are less energy demanding and more resistant to movement which are both things that are useful, and I don't need more space than 1TB.

#6 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

I'm likely going to go out and get something from the nearest tech mall.I could get something off of mercardo libre http://www.mercadolibre.com.co/ too especially if I cant find it in person.

Why would i replace my 2.5 inch HDD with a 3.5 inch one in the same laptop? From what I know the 2.5 ones are less energy demanding and more resistant to movement which are both things that are useful, and I don't need more space than 1TB.

Apologies, I thought I saw 'desktop' in your original post. That was careless on my part.

#7 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

No problem. What should I look for in a hdd? I can get the same one, here in Colombia for 200,000 pesos, or 100 Canadian, or 65 USD. I'm not going to order from amazon or anything, it's very unlikely to be worth the wait and import tax.

#8 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

I should also mention it just crapped out. It can't load windoas and goes into a cycle of repairing itself. Sounds familiar, this started I think 4 months ago, it got stuck like this.

Edited by accidentally, 15 January 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#9 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

I'd say look at the price and warranty length.

Also, if you don't need much storage, you may want to consider an SSD. Many people do that switch because everything they need is on the internet, or they have their stuff in the cloud. They generally cost the same as a 1TB HDD for a 120GB SSD.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Seems SSD don't last as long as the older stile drives though from what i know, none the less i wouldn't mind a 120G SSD too for my windows drive, lol im still on a 40gig P-ATA drive in fat32.

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

In the interest of getting this done asap, I got a new drive at a good price. It's only 500gb. I ended up with a wd av-25 500gb wd5000luct

So, as far as I know it's similar to the one I had before Toshiba mq01abd100 but half the capacity. I tried putting a 64 bit version of windows 8.1, but it says "no drives were found' as soon as I select the option from dvd. Most likely this means I will have to go to the store I bought it from tomorrow, and ask them to reformat it to 64 bit.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

O_o windows 8.1 should be able to do that no when you setup a new install ?

If not linux mint can.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

With the drive attached to your desktop open your UEFI/BIOS settings. Is your drive detected? 

#14 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

In the interest of getting this done asap, I got a new drive at a good price. It's only 500gb. I ended up with a wd av-25 500gb wd5000luct

So, as far as I know it's similar to the one I had before Toshiba mq01abd100 but half the capacity. I tried putting a 64 bit version of windows 8.1, but it says "no drives were found' as soon as I select the option from dvd. Most likely this means I will have to go to the store I bought it from tomorrow, and ask them to reformat it to 64 bit.

There is no such thing as "format to 64 bit." Check if you installed it properly and try again. It could also be the case that the drive is dead on arrival.

#15 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

This happened on my last reformat, I can't remember how I got past it but that time the computer was still functional. I knew the format was not the problem. Could it be possible that there is a problem with something else? I don't think it's the installation dvd. And no its not in the bios. Maybe I installed it wrong?

Edited by accidentally, 16 January 2017 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users