Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is using a SMS receive service to open a gmail account safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3rockpeople

3rockpeople

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

I would like to create an anonymous youtube channel. Apparently, you can only start a youtube channel with a gmail account.

Creating a gmail account is only possible with a phone number.

I want to create multiple youtube accounts and don't want them to be linked to my phone number(s).

So I was thinking of using a free online SMS receive service.

My question is: am I making myself more susceptible to hackers by using these services?

For example, if I use a SMS receive site to receive my gmail phone verification code, this sms/code can be seen and accessed by anyone on the website (atleast for a while).

If anyone opens the SMS and sees the verification code, will they be able to use it to hack into my gmail account? I mean, is there a way for them to find out which gmail address this code was meant for and therefore find my account, if anyone wanted to?

Is there any other way in which they can use this phone verification code and hack my account?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

I would like to create an anonymous youtube channel. Apparently, you can only start a youtube channel with a gmail account.

Creating a gmail account is only possible with a phone number.

Really?   I thought I created one for a client the other day without a phone number, but perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

Even if you have to supply a phone number, supply a random one that has a valid area code and exchange, as it's not the only verification method that gmail can use or does use.  I've used former land line numbers that I've had when I didn't want to provide my current phone number.  

By the way, after you create a single Google account successfully, whether anonymously or not, you can associate a Google Voice number to it, giving it what amounts to a mobile phone number.  That number can be used to send or receive SMS codes when setting up other Google Accounts.  I have several non-anonymous Google Accounts on which I use one of the others' e-mail address and Google Voice number for verification.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Just curious, but what is your need for multiple anom. Youtube accounts? Before I help, I want to make sure it's not anything fishy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users