Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my smartphone wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze1206

Blaze1206

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I'd like some advice from you about some problems of my smartphone.

Basically, last night before to go to bed, i've turned off my wi-fi and mobile connection from my smartphone, leaving the phone itself turned on.

This morning after getting again the phone, i've noticed that the wi-fi was turned on again, and there were notifications from my Avira antivirus recommending me to install another app when I connect to not safe or public wi-fi's.

So this means that the smartphone connected during the night to some anonymous wi-fi by itself..

I would like to know if it depends because of some malware and how it is possible to resolve it.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Does your carrier have a connection optimizer feature? It's not unusual for wi-fi to turn itself back on. Some AV's have that built in for updates. Some carriers use an 'optimizer' as a 'feature' to reduce wireless data usage. How and why yours does, specifically, will take some investigative work.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Blaze1206

Blaze1206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Honestly, I do not know if my carrier has a connection optimizer feature, but yeah Avira has scheduled updates, it might has turned on the wi-fi to update it, I need to check it.

Anyway, in my opinion the most weird thing of the story is that Avira antivirus highlighted me with a notification that my device connected to some unsafe connection like an hotspot, and advised me to install 'Phantom vpn', another of their apps, in order to keep my navigation safe.

I can't really understand what happened and why. 

Furthermore, I also use the avira smartphone optimizer, just saying in case it could be related with the problem.

Anyway, I'll see if the problem happens again in the next days, and thank you for your answer!

#4 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

The AV has the rights to your network settings and it turned the WiFi On and connected to your saved router and transferred the data. Unless you are okay wih it, I'd recommend get yourself a VPN. 

#5 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:47 AM

you should check the requirements of your recently installed apps specially your anti virus. I hope you'll find the apps that have authority to your WiFi, and uninstalling the app will help you.

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I'd like some advice from you about some problems of my smartphone.

Basically, last night before to go to bed, i've turned off my wi-fi and mobile connection from my smartphone, leaving the phone itself turned on.

This morning after getting again the phone, i've noticed that the wi-fi was turned on again, and there were notifications from my Avira antivirus recommending me to install another app when I connect to not safe or public wi-fi's.

So this means that the smartphone connected during the night to some anonymous wi-fi by itself..

I would like to know if it depends because of some malware and how it is possible to resolve it.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users