Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my screen isnt detecting any input

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dstone456

dstone456

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

Specs:

Graphics Card:      Asus GEFORCE GTX 1060                                             (3 months old)

Motherboard:        Asus  H170-PLUS 03  LGA 1151 ATX                             (10 months  old)

CPU:                     Intel core i5 6500 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.2 GHZ            (10  months old

HDD:                    Western Digital Blue 500gb Sata 3 HDD caviar blue          (2 years old)

Ram:                    Kingstoln HX318C10FRK 2/16 16GB Hyper x Fury red      (2 years old)

Power supply:     gigabyte 900w (cant find the reciept)                                   (8 years old)

Screen: lg 34 inch ultrawide                                                                             (3 months old)

I was using my computer last night, worked perfectly i shut it down the usual way. when I woke up and turned the computer on the screen remained blank and eventually displayed no input detected. The computer stayed on lights and fans remained stable and no beeping sound to indicate what is wrong. alot of the parts are still under warranty but i cant figure out how to identify the problem.

the things i have done to try and fix it.

used the display port cable instead of the HDMI cable.       no effect

Plugged in a different monitor to check it.                            ( no effect)

reset the Bios by removing the motherboard battery             no effect

reseat everything inside the computer, disconnect all cables  including pwr, reset, hdd etcc

nothing i have done so far has had any effect.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

It might be worth mentioning that im from australia and it was 42 degrees yesterday (108 Fahrenheit) but the computer never overheated.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

Does it have onboard graphics?

If yes, unplug your graphics card and try booting again.

#4 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

no onboard graphics.

and unfortunately i dont have any spare parts to sub in and out to figure out whats wrong

#5 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'd look at the PSU. 8 years is quite old. Plus, no beeps indicates a power problem, provided you had a single beep before when the computer worked properly.

What happens if you remove the RAM? Does it beep?

#6 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

no beeps without ram

#7 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

provided you had a single beep before, when the computer worked properly.

Did you have it before or did you not? I'm referring to the single, short beep that sounds a few seconds after you hit the power button.

#8 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

yes

#9 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

I guess what I really want to know about is any tests I can do to rule out parts.  at the moment im thinking it could be graphics card, psu, cpu, ram, hdd. (so basically everything)

#10 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

No beeps means that it's either the PSU or the motherboard, PSU being the most likely and most obvious since it's an old one. There's a way to test the PSU with a multimeter; it involves measuring the various voltages it supplies while it's connected to the computer and drawing power.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

I agree, nine years is a long life for a PSU.  A PSU uses electrolytic capacitors of which the electrolyte evaporates over time altering its' properties.  In short, they fail.  This failure in a PSU is manifests itself in a loss of power.  This means that the wattage will eventually start lowering.

If you have a multimeter with a DC scale that will read between 2 and 15 volts you can read the three main positive rail voltages to see if they are still producing their voltages within proper tolerances.  That would be +/- 5% of their rated rail voltages.

The three rail voltages that should be read are the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V. 

The voltage tolerances should be the following.

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it I would test those three rail voltages.  If you have a meter but need help in the form of instructions I can help you there as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Thanks alot. I just went out and bought a multimeter and am about to give it a shot :) ( I watched a video on youtube about it) will post results

#13 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

i got yellow     12.09

red          5.12

orange    3.4

A bit disappointing really

#14 dstone456

dstone456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

so while i had my psu out i noticed it was really dusty and took a leaf blower to it and my case with most of the parts out. I then put everything back together and it worked properly. I don know what the problem was but its working for now. Hopefully it stays that way. thanks alot everyone

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

An accumulation can cause overheating problem which can cause this type of problem.  It sounds like you resolved your issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users