Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor Recording Sound. Do I Need a Sound Card?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I started recording myself as I teach what I'm doing on my screen the past few weeks. The problem though is the sound which is fairly muffled and has a slight pop or kind of a crack or space in the sound. It's hard to describe, but it is not a smooth wave to listen to. In fact I would be skeptical of me as a listener based on the quality of sound even though it is intelligible and can be easily comprehended. 

I bought a Logitech headset to hear and speak in at first, and it had that problem I described above. I thought, "cheap headset, better try another brand." I bought the Turtle Beach PLA headset to hear and speak into which was highly recommended all over the web, and it had the same problem. Now I just bought the Neewer Condenser Mic and InnoGear Phantom Box, and the sound has the exact same tick and slightly dampened sound stream.

When I speak into the headsets and the condensor mic, the sound comes out on the speakers clearly. It's perfect when it's live. It's only when I playback the recording that everything sounds so poorly. I have all of the feedback issues solved. It's not feed back when the mic can't hear the sound to begin with. 

I have to believe after changing the external gear 3 times to no avail, then it's the sound card, or it's the way the Join.me screen share web page/app records sound. I work with a firm that uses the same brand screen share system, and they have no sound issues at all whether it's a live screen share or a recorded screen share. It's crystal clear. 

I understand what the sound card does as far as speaker playback goes, but how does the mic system on a sound card work? I know nothing about this part of the PC. 

Can I just buy something for $20 to solve the issue, and be on my way? I'm a logical budget man. I'm never going to pay up big for something that can be fixed for $20.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Sound recording through a microphone is ripe with noise because of the construction.  Most units come with on board audio of some sort or the plugin card has the right jack  (PINK) .  Between that jack and the actual ADC chip is many traces that are close to power sources and electronic noise making devices.  I always jack into a board directly as panel mounted jacks are very noisey from the extra wires running around.

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

I don't know how you do that.  How?  I plug the mic into the back where the mic symbol is etched into the motherboard sticking out of the back of the PC.  Are you saying there's a jack inside on the motherboard? 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

That's the best place is directly to the MOBO.  any wire/cable inside the case that goes from a MOBO jack to a front or rear panel mount is prone to picking up noise.  The direct connection is best.  One thing that may not be evident is to ask if the unit is grounded, this is a common problem with audio pickups that aren't grounded.

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

So I should look for a mic jack on the inside of the case on the mobo, and I should ground the mobo or the case to something?  

I see the picture. I don't see how to do it. 

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

All i know is integrated sound blows, my self i have a older sound blaster sound card but when it was new it sold for like $100,on most mobos the total cost of the sound hardware is $5 or less so you know quality was never part of the picture, i use to know someone that worked professional  as a sound editor and they only used $500 or more sound cards.

#7 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

How do you ground the thing?

#8 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Just looking for tips.  Any .02 is appreciated.

Edited by F-1DeskLamp, 14 January 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#9 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&Channels=7%252E1&LH_BIN=1&_dcat=44980&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=15&_nkw=sound+card&rt=nc

I did a search for $15 or less used sound cards with 7.1 channel with option to buy now to skip the auction.  Do you guys see anything there that's going to make a smooth sound.  I don't mean ultra studio quality pins and needles quality.  I just mean good enough to get people to subscribe to me on youtube.  

I keep saying it.  I don't need the big dog hardware.  I just need effective hardware.  

Thanks for you time in sharing what you know about this technology.  

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hemm man that cheap for some good old sound blasters as well do you have a free pci slot on your mobo as well as far as i know the drivers for the Audigy card were made for winXP for the most part but im shore theirs vista/win7 drivers too, past that im not shore if theirs drivers out their for the card if were talking win8/8.1/win10 unless they come with windows or something, sadly the guys that make the cards are lazy when it comes to driver support.

My self if you had the extra $10 or so id go looking for a sound blaster X-fi sound card, from what i remember of the hype the sound chip on the X-fi had the same transistor count as a Pentium 4 cpu and was rated at 10,000 mips or so they claimed and some of the cards came with 64megs ram though that topic never went anywhere and was never really supported in software,

My self i got my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS gold many years ago and at the time i payed like $75 for mine used.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 $14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Lab-Sound-Blaster-Audigy-2-SB0240-PCI-Sound-Card-W-Joystick-port-addon-/222376511094?hash=item33c6ac4676:g:Cf0AAOSwUKxYeI5v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Audigy

Soundblaster X-fi Xtrememusic $15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-PCI-SBO460-7-1-Sound-Card-/252446008899?hash=item3ac6f46643:g:Y0gAAOSwzJ5Xdpws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

What version of windows did you say you were using and what is your mobo ?

#11 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

I DO NOT recommend an internal sound card; they suffer from background noise.

I think that watching his video would be helpful for you in your situation: 

With this the cheap USB sound card and with phantom power applied to the mic, he was able to set the gain to 2% and have impressively low background noise. The amazon link to this soundcard is in the description.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

You know that's not even a sound card, that's a usb jack with two plugs to put a mic or a speaker on to, comparing $5 sound hardware to $200 sound card is funny but yes their is a grater chance of interference in side the box then out side of it.

Other thing too in the video review is he douse  no benchmarks of any kind worth talking about and dousen't benchmark vs any other sound card.

Here the total sound hardware on the usb sound card you recommended.

k7s7ag-cmi9739a.jpg

Oxygen HD-CMI8788-PCI 8-channel HD sound processor / with Dolby Master Studio and DTS Connect driver, total cost of sound hardware $2.

https://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/PCI_PCIe_AUDIO

Here the sound hardware i recomended and thats the older card, not even the X-fi

800px-A2zs002.jpg

The audio processor could mix up to 64 DirectSound3D sound channels in hardware.

All most wish i had that usb $5 junk on me just to bench is so as to put it to shame with my 15 year old sound card.

Edited by shadow_647, 15 January 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#13 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

So what's a better solution for noise problems on the input, a sound card that's prone to EMI or one that isn't? 

I don't understand the need to compare the audio processor when the determining factor should be the noise. And you know he doesn't have to use the output on that, right?

It sounds more than adequate in the video, especially with phantom power, which the OP has. He can listen and judge for himself.

#14 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

I'll toss it up a little here with this.

This is just a practice thing. I mean this is the first year doing this, and half of the reason for doing it is to sharpen up my speech. I've been a solo fellow working on an operation for too many years without a family or friends. 

Just fast forward it to 6:00 and listen a few. It's obvious right away. Before that there's long silences and so on. 

https://recordings.join.me/v7GHVomUH0Or1Dbl_xzYOQ

#15 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

True and for what OP is looking for your $10 usb sound card might just do the trick and for cheap too and is all he needs, from what i understand all he wants to do is fix heavy buzzing noises when trying to record but my self im a sound blaster fan boy and like quality sound so when you compared $5 C-media hardware to $150 hardware "for its day" i had to defend sound blaster !

As for sound quality in recording or output sound i would have to have both devices on hand to test them and sadly to the joe/jains of the world when it comes to sound cards from what i understand can't tell the difference, sadly.

My self iv used this in the past vs on-board sound "like the C-media chip" vs the sound card i use now and i blast the on-board sound chips to dust in quality testing.

http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users