Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on start-up with error messages and UEFI options

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Des_Kahn

Des_Kahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

My wife's HP 15 wouldn't start, shortly after second Tuesday (one or two days later). We did a hard reset, and then the blue screen appeared with the following message:

"RECOVERY

Your PC needs to be repaired.

The Boot COnfig Data file is missing required info.

File: \BCD

Error Code : 0xc000000d at first, but afgter I ran some Chkdsk stuff, it is now 0xc00000098

You'll need to use recovery tools. IF you don't have any installation media, contact your PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Escape for UEFI Firmware settings."

However, our computer is out of warranty.HP told her to call a company Smart Friend or some such.

I did try the UEFI firmware and ran the recovery options, but am not sure what to do here. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

0xc00000098  seems to play arond with this topic.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc0000098/

By the way are you a gamer ? just asking cus if thier no fix for windows you could get setup with linux for free.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:32 AM

For Windows 10:

0xc000000d is:

/ MessageId: STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
//
// MessageText:
//
// An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.
//
#define STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER         ((NTSTATUS)0xC000000DL)    // winnt

0xc0000098 is

// MessageId: STATUS_FILE_INVALID
//
// MessageText:
//
// The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid.
//
#define STATUS_FILE_INVALID              ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000098L)

In short, the file it needs isn't available for some reason.

Running CHKDSK did something to make it invalid (rather than just the parameter being invalid).

I would look at BCD repair options (using Shadow_647's suggestion) along with diagnostics (some free one's listed here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html )

The diagnostics are because CHKDSK changed things (and CHKDSK works on the file system on the hard drive - not directly on the BCD.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Des_Kahn

Des_Kahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Replying to Shadow_647, I have been following your suggestion and purchased EasyRE  from Neosmart. To date, following all their instructions, the problem computer has not read that program in the boot sequence, although my other computer will. Still pursuing this with them. To usasma, your acronym BCD is unfamiliar to me, so no comprende. What does it stand for? I looked at the website you recommended, but for now, I am pursuing the EasyRE. What diagnostics could I run if all I get is the blue screen?

#5 Des_Kahn

Des_Kahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Following shadow_647's suggestion, I did purchase a program, EasyRE from Neosmart. I had difficulty getting the HP to read it, but finally, for whatever reason, with continued support from Neosmart, I got it to read the program in from a USB thumb drive. The program then succeeded in repairing the problem. Thanks for your help, shadow (the Shadow knows).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users