Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weird USB issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 equalexpert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

So, back in November 2016 I finished building my new PC..and so on...

About a month passed and I suddenly needed to plug in a  USB stick. As I go to plug it it, the connector must have only been about 2cm from the front USB port, my whole PC turns off and restarts.

So I check the event log, Kernel-power, event ID 41. Plugged in the USB it worked, took it out plugged it in all is good. Must have been one off.

Now roughly 60% of the time i plug in a USB stick, phone cable, other charging cable etc the PC will restart with the same event logged.

So its a NZXT H440 case with 4 ports at the front. I have checked all the cabling so i'm sure I didn't knock and dislodge anything during building. I haven't been able to repeat it with the rear USB ports as I cant predict when it will happen.

I thought power supply but its solid, even when gaming and getting full draw. The only other thing I can think is static discharge.

Anyone else come accross this?or think im on the right lines with my diagnosis?

Cheers in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

This sounds like you have a bad connector on that port.  I've also seen junk get jammed in the connector that the power supply sees as a short when plugged in.  A badly jammed USB port, usually on laptops, can short out when things get plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users