, your question(s) is the one(s) I asked, too.
Safe Mode in Ad-Aware is not
the same as Safe Mode in WinXP. In Ad-Aware, it refers to being alerted to what is going on. In winXP, its the diagnostic mode(s) that primarilly limit the startups & prevent some action, such as going online.
From the opening screen in Ad-Aware SE
personal 1.05 (free version) My .02 cents worth is:
I always check the "globe icon" for updates
. In build 1.05, the reference number presently is SE1R22 13.12.2004 internal build 27.
Your question(s) involves the "gear icon" for configurations
, basically. There are seven buttons
- General Settings: Safety, all left green is OK. Definitions, I like 5 days. Write Logfiles to, you can browse and choose a folder you made, for convenience. User Definitions, I just leave in default.
- Scan Settings: I leave the "skip files" in default. Make sure your drive(s) and partitions are included. I leave all green checks in "memory & register".
- Advanced Settings: In "shell integration" I like the files to be moved to the recycle bin to see them before I delete them. "Logfile detail level" I prefer all details. ADS I leave in default.
- Startup Settings: I don't have this program automatically start.
- Default Settings: It shows my IE start & search pages. If they've changed, I'll know it. Some features here need the paid version to work.
- Interface: I accept the standard without customizing it, although other skins are available. I don't use the "sound when found" feature.
- Tweak Settings: This would be a long thread discussion, I say use defaults for now, unless you want 20 questions.
You choose at the scan screen: Preparing for Scan
screen gives you five more areas of choice.
- Smart system scan: shorter scan
- Full system scan: default & the best
- Custom system scan: refers you to "scan settings" mentioned above.
- ADS scan: I think this is a separate scan from the main one. Applies sometimes.
- Negligible risk scan: I prefer to have it scan negligible risks. I usually have MRU's removed by Spybot, also. User preference.
Edited by phawgg, 12 December 2004 - 08:04 PM.