Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Look for Adaware setting when running it on XP.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Dave

Steve Dave

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

A while back I was given settings for ad aware and told to run it in safe mode. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what settings I choose for adaware since I am now running XP on a new PC.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:17 AM

ok are you looking to run windows under safe mode or are you looking for the settings for ad-aware?
Posted Image

#3 Steve Dave

Steve Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

You can tell me both if you want.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

Steve Dave, your question(s) is the one(s) I asked, too. :thumbsup:

Safe Mode in Ad-Aware is not the same as Safe Mode in WinXP. In Ad-Aware, it refers to being alerted to what is going on. In winXP, its the diagnostic mode(s) that primarilly limit the startups & prevent some action, such as going online.

From the opening screen in Ad-Aware SE personal 1.05 (free version) My .02 cents worth is:
I always check the "globe icon" for updates. In build 1.05, the reference number presently is SE1R22 13.12.2004 internal build 27.
Your question(s) involves the "gear icon" for configurations, basically. There are seven buttons = screens:
  • General Settings: Safety, all left green is OK. Definitions, I like 5 days. Write Logfiles to, you can browse and choose a folder you made, for convenience. User Definitions, I just leave in default.
  • Scan Settings: I leave the "skip files" in default. Make sure your drive(s) and partitions are included. I leave all green checks in "memory & register".
  • Advanced Settings: In "shell integration" I like the files to be moved to the recycle bin to see them before I delete them. "Logfile detail level" I prefer all details. ADS I leave in default.
  • Startup Settings: I don't have this program automatically start.
  • Default Settings: It shows my IE start & search pages. If they've changed, I'll know it. Some features here need the paid version to work.
  • Interface: I accept the standard without customizing it, although other skins are available. I don't use the "sound when found" feature.
  • Tweak Settings: This would be a long thread discussion, I say use defaults for now, unless you want 20 questions.
You choose at the scan screen:
Preparing for Scan screen gives you five more areas of choice.
  • Smart system scan: shorter scan
  • Full system scan: default & the best
  • Custom system scan: refers you to "scan settings" mentioned above.
  • ADS scan: I think this is a separate scan from the main one. Applies sometimes.
  • Negligible risk scan: I prefer to have it scan negligible risks. I usually have MRU's removed by Spybot, also. User preference.

Edited by phawgg, 12 December 2004 - 08:04 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Steve Dave

Steve Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the settings. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users