Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent hangs - even the clock stops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Echo0

Echo0

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

No BSODs here, but my PC frequently hangs for more than 5 minutes - which is about the point where I give up and turn the thing off manually. Most - but not all - of the time it happens when I am using Firefox or Cyberfox, but I hate every other browser I've tried.

The two zip files you asked for are attached, and here is the information requested:

· OS - Windows 7
· x64
· Same as above
· The OS is an OEM version
· 4 or 5 years
· Age of OS installation - same. I have never re-installed the OS.

· CPU - AMD Athlon™ II X2 220 Processor 2.80 GHz
· Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
· MotherBoard - I tried running "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber" but the window closed immediately upon completion - what else can I do?
· Power Supply - brand & wattage - I don't know

· System Manufacturer - Hewlet Packard
· Exact model number - HP505B Microtower PC

· Desktop

Attached Files

Edited by Echo0, 14 January 2017 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 taylor1277

taylor1277

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

I am also having this issue within Google Chrome. seems like a big cold (virus) is going around and no one seems to be fixing it.I also think in Chrome it has something to do with the clock or time I keep getting ERR_TIMED_OUT. My clock also changed today when I tried to revert my system. My situation started a few days ago with Chrome and is only getting worse.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

taylor1277 - please start your own topic so that you can get individual assistance for your specific problem.

Echo0 - start by uninstalling your HP printer software and see if that helps.

When done testing, download and install a fresh copy from the HP support website for your printer.

One of the errors in the perfmon report points at this.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You only have 660 MB of available Physical Memory (RAM).
Please get more memory if the system is able to handle it.
While waiting to upgrade the memory, please:
- only use one program at a time
- go through your startup items and stop those that aren't essential from loading with Windows

C: drive only has less than 1% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.
This amount of free space can cause many different problems with the OS and must be fixed IMMEDIATELY!!!

This device is diasabled in Device Manager.  Did you deliberately disable it?  If so, why did you disable it?

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.

If it's not needed, please uninstall it.  If it is needed, please re-enable it and update it to the latest, W10 compatible version.  Feel free to disable it again AFTER you've updated it.

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:

1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If ALL of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Echo0

Echo0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Sorry for delay - I had houseguests, then caught a heavy cold (still feel rotten). My comments so far:

1. I have been having serious problems with the HP Printer software for a few months now. Everything prints perfectly from my laptop but the printer hangs when I use the PC. I have uninstalled everything I can find regarding the printer and have not reinstalled anything yet. The problem with the PC being slow/hanging/freezing has not gone away, and preceded the onset of printer issues.

2. There have been some non-essential Windows Updates that the system says it can't install, mostly regarding NVidia. All essential updates have been installed regularly.

3. I routinely go through MSCONFIG's startup menu and disable items IF I know what they are and am sure I don't need them, but when I look at Task Manager there are 7+ pages of processes running. If you mean my TSRs, I know one is a memory hog - Desktop Weather - but it's very useful. The biggest offender, when open, is any browser.

4. How would I know whether my system can take more RAM?

5. I deleted a lot of old system restore points and currently have 20% free on the C: drive. The D: Drive (HP_Recovery), which I assume is virtual, has very little space is not editable. All my other virtual drives and my two external hard drives have more than 15% available. I do have 9 virtual drives besides the C: and D: drives on the hard disk itself. All but 2 are more than half full, but only one is as much as 80% full.

6. I uninstalled "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64    ROOT\NET\0000" along with its related reporting and diagnostics tool. Was unneeded.

7. Disk drives:
    BUFFALO HD-GDU3 USB Device (External)
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA SCSI Disk Device
    LaCie Hard Drive USB Device (External)

Utterly confused by the Carrona hwdiag page. It says to search for manufacturer's tools, but in the manual for the Hitachi drive's diagnostic tool, WinDFT, it says, "Please note: WinDFT is not designed to run on your primary operating drive." How is that going to help me?

The problems I'm having persist even when the Buffalo and LaCie drives are disconnected, so I don't think they are related to the issues.

The instructions for the Driver Verifier tool are terrifying so I'm putting that off. Would it help to run the two previous reports again?

Thanks,

Marcia/Echo0

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Check one of the major memory manufacturer's website for their "memory configurator" to pick the amount of RAM your system can handle (Corsair, GSkill, Kingston, etc)

If unable to figure it out, contact them for assistance.  You'll get a sales person, but they'll help to tell you what you can do (then you can say "thank you" and buy from whomever you please).

Hangs can be caused by outdated nVidia software.

I'd suggest visiting the nVidia website to get updated drivers for your video and nForce chipset (it's found under the Legacy devices now).

On this page:  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Select Legacy, then select nForce 4 Series, then select nForce 430 / GEForce 6150 SE, then select Windows Vista 64 bit (there is no option for Windows 7)

You may have to run the installer in compatibility mode for Vista - but try just double clicking on it first.

Due to the age of this system, I have to ask if you won't be better off by purchasing a new system?
I'll continue to work with you on this - but it might be time for a new system for you, and that would save you a lot of work

The memory usage I cited was from the systeminfo.txt report.
This is a one time reading of the memory, so it could be at a point where the Desktop Weather app was hogging RAM.

The point here is that excessive RAM consumption can lead to problems - including BSOD's.

I'd suggest temporarily uninstalling the Desktop Weather app to see if that helps.

No need to mess with the HP Recovery drive.  Leave it alone so you can use it if it's needed.

For the hardware diagnostics, the easiest thing to do is to run the Seagate Seatools diagnostics (long/extended test).

If unable to run the bootable test, run the Windows version of the test.

Verifier instructions were designed to be terrifying - but they work well as I've listed them.
As long as you do the first 4 steps, you can recover from any problem with Driver Verifier.
But, if you're not feeling up to it, we can wait on it until later.

Finally, please see my PM

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users