Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best monitor for reading with sensitve eyes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scottbryan724

scottbryan724

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

I have sensitive eyes, my problem with a lot of monitors is the text doesn't seem crisp and it causes me eye strain when reading.

I would preferably like to spend no more than $400 and I dont think I can go bigger than 24 inches ideally I would like 21-23

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

hemmmm could say i have some ideas on the topic.

My self i can't deal with LCD monitors for the most part, don't know much about plasma screens seeing as they don't make em small and iv only seen TV that's are plasma so theirs no smaller computer monitors out their that are plasma then theirs O-led and i have yet to use one so don't know whats going on their but a good high quality IPS/LCD/LED with a high dot pitch i can live with my self, don't get me started on TN LCD, TN screens rip my eyeballs out if i look at em for too long, as for me im still on a 22" high quality CRT and my self i find when it comes to image quality CRT still owns the pile.

As well theirs a ultra quality 24" wide screen CRT out their that's killer but good luck finding one, when they show up on ebay its like $1000 ish for one in good shape + tax + shipping, before everything is said and done you looking at like $2000 for one unless you get really lucky.

Sad part is i use to own one of the 24" CRT's :(

But it died and like a fool that i am i didn't have it repaired, regret it to this day, best screen iv ever owned.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Hi:

I have sensitive eyes, my problem with a lot of monitors is the text doesn't seem crisp and it causes me eye strain when reading.

I would preferably like to spend no more than $400 and I dont think I can go bigger than 24 inches ideally I would like 21-23

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

There's no need to resort to hunting for antiques on eBay (which can be a very dicey venue for computer hardware/software), unless you are so inclined.

Many of the new UHD flat-panel displays are quite good and quite reasonably priced. (And they will not consume all of your desk space like a CRT.)

You will probably receive a wide range of specific recommendations from folks who know their way around modern hardware.

I have always had good luck with Dell monitors for my use (I work quite a bit from home and am on the computer a lot).

Of course, one also has to consider one's video card/drivers in the equation, as well.  In other words, it's not "just" about the monitor itself.

A couple of other suggestions unrelated to the monitor itself:

• Firefox (and I presume other browsers, too) offers extensions, such as NoSquint Plus that are very helpful
  • If you are nearsighted (+/- if you also have "presbyopia" that comes with advancing age) and you wear glasses (bifocals), get a specific pair of "computer glasses" with a prescription tailored to the usual working distance on a computer
    • Computer glasses will keep you from tilting your head back and straining your neck, to get to the "bottom" of your lenses in order to see the computer screen clearly.
    • Most optometrists/ophthalmologists should know exactly what you mean when you say "computer glasses", and they will write  a special prescription for those.
    • You will be VERY VERY glad you did -- it's worth the added expense.

If you find some possibilities, perhaps post back with links -- other forum members can take a peek and let you know their expert opinion.

Cheers,

MM

{EDIT: typo}

Edited by MoxieMomma, 14 January 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

I too would not go back to using a CRT display - a 24 inch one weighs a ton and takes up half an acre of desk space !  I sympathise with the problem but have you exhausted the possibiilities of changing the default settings in Windows ?

Through 'Control panel - Display' you can change the default size of font and you can adjust things like colour balance and contrast. If you haven't tried adjusting these you may find that playing with them will provide a setting which will reduce eyestrain.

I use an Iiyama monitor myself - ProLite X2483hsu - but I bought that one because its colour display is very accurate and I do quite a lot of photo work. I think I paid about £UK 150 maybe a little more for it. I also agree with Moxie about glasses. I use varifocals (three layers) and I got a pair from my opticians just specified for close range work and then I got a second pair so I could have one at work and one at home. They only cost me about £UK 20 each pair. OK, they are not pretty - my wife refers to them as my 'Buddy Holly's' - but I don't wear them in public and they do the job.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

I use varifocals (three layers) and I got a pair from my opticians just specified for close range work and then I got a second pair so I could have one at work and one at home. They only cost me about £UK 20 each pair. OK, they are not pretty - my wife refers to them as my 'Buddy Holly's' - but I don't wear them in public and they do the job.

Chris Cosgrove

Those "Buddy Holly's" are quite in fashion now.
You are on the cutting edge!!
(I, too, have two pairs of computer glasses -- one for home and one that goes with me, for use with my laptop...)

Worth every penny and then some!

MM

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Found this on the topic of UHD LCD

http://4k.com/24-inch-monitor-reviews-best-buying-guide-for-4k-24-inch-display-lcd-and-24-panel-for-sale/

I too would not go back to using a CRT display - a 24 inch one weighs a ton and takes up half an acre of desk space !  I sympathize with the problem but have you exhausted the possibilities of changing the default settings in Windows ?

lol ya mine when i had one was like 100 pounds 500watts to power it and would take like 15min before it hit running temperatures,as well you need a desk that was at lest 3 feet wide, awesome screen though if you didn't mind it costing $3000 back in the day for a new one,all most bust a gut lifting the thing off the ground none the less the sony FW900 is a legend when it comes to monitors.

https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widescreen-crt-fw900-from-ebay-arrived-comments.952788/

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

Why can't you go larger?  I've got three 27" 1080p monitors coming this week to upgrade my 22" monitors.  I put a 1080p (1920x1080) in at work and was amazed at how readable everything was.

What will you be doing on this monitor?

It is quite possible that simply making the text larger would make things better for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users