Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking for Updates all nite long Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

technony thanks for the suggestion. I have done just that several times a day. Each time I reset the router by unplugging, the laptop will connect wirelessly, till the next time it does not connect wirelessly.

Then we just plug in the Ethernet cord but the idea of a laptop is portability. But mother doesn't want to sit in the room with the router. N mother is always right. Granted the router may be the issue.

At this point I think Chris is going to put me in touch with somebody to tend to the update errr lack of updating that has not been going on since 12.30.16 supposedly windows update is set to automatic but nada is happening.

At this moment I am down with some throat issues and not wanting to be around mom till I am less contagious. Us ole folks ain't as spry as we use ta be and a sniffle turns into pneumonia too easy.

It took all that to say "hey Chris, soon as I get well I'll get that speccy report online" oughta be a day or two. Thanks for the patience n understanding.

cctexnun,

That someone that Chris was going to put you in touch with is me. He contacted me via mail on BC.

Your problem sounds more like a router issue than a laptop issue. You reboot the router and you temporarily have internet till it goes out again.

What model of router is it?

Are other devices in the home having same issues?

I am not 100% certain, but It could still be the WiFi card in the laptop causing the router to dropout. In either case one needs to get replaced. If it's a older model router I would replace it first. Replacing drivers is the norm in cases like this. However, I highly suspect your router is the cause.

EDIT: Need make/model information so we can investigate further if this router needs a firmware update.

Edited by technonymous, 27 January 2017 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

I am going to stand aside while techonymous deals with the wifi / router problem - dealing with one problem at a time is enough for anybody !  Once that is sorted we can get back to confirming your updates etc.

Chris Cosgrove

#18 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

Chris Thanks for all your help you have been a delight to follow, I look forward to tryin to do what you tell me to do when Techno' is thru wranglin me around the router issue or whatever it turns out to be. Talk to you then.

#19 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

Okie Dokie Techno' I am so glad I was nice in our initial meeting I didn't see any BC credentials in your avatar box although with 2300 posts I shoulda recognized you prolly knew what to tell a grommet to do or expect. So I give myself up to your capable hands and will diligently trek thru your detailed instructions (detailed since it seems I can barely get this dagnabbit cornpruter to turn on without a step by step google map). 

ta recap, sick till tomorrow unless it clears up today and will answer your needs in my next post, thanks for your assistance and especially patience in this endeavor. Tata I gotta find a kleenex.

#20 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Tech

It is an Arris model DG1670A  , P/N DG00DLQ1670A. 

There is a wps pin and a SN######### and a CM MAC####### and a WAN MAC######.

Do You need those numbers too? Here for a couple more hours. Thanks Dave

Update  problem resolved by "grande" service provider.

Edited by cctexun, 31 January 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#21 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Tech you can yell at me if you want. My sister just dropped in to visit mom and I told her about the issues on router she gave me "grandes number" and 30 minutes later the tech has reset and cleaned up some errors, The issue was a wireless multi media setting had power saver on. So after a period of time of inaction it would trip the switch, so apparently, We are on to the next issue. Thanks for looking in. I feel just like I should, happy the issue is fixed n sheepish that I didn't start with the service provider in the first place.

Now can we turn our attention to Updates?  It ain't finding any just keeps on searching. I will leave it searching while I am here.

What do you need from me at this point to help find the problem? Thanks

Edited by cctexun, 31 January 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#22 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

Now that you have your router and wifi problem cleared up, let's start with a new Speccy report.

In your first post you said there were 120+ updates listed but the Speccy report you provided then showed that none had been installed. So please supply a new one and let me see what it says.

You may find that your updates now happen because the wifi blockage has been cleared. If you, or your mother, are thinking of turning off the computer at any time and it says it is installing update please do NOT turn it off !  Just let it sit to itself while it does it.

Chris Cosgrove

#23 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vdHuKakGcML6vCoPArFUT8k

Well Chris nice to have you back. Tech did an excellent job. Thanks for sending him or her  over. I appreciate you folks.

In control panel under Windows updates the checking for updates green bar just keeps sliding along. The computer is set to install updates during the maintenance window at 3 am, it is supposed to wake up.

Below the moving bar box are 3 lines of copy

1. most recent check for updates; Never

2. Updates were installed; Never

3.You receive updates; For Windows only

On the left where it says "view update history" when I click on that there is a line that says "To remove an update, see (installed updates)," When I click on installed updates that is where the I can see 217 installed updates.

Lower on this page there is a line that says "You have not tried to install any updates for your computer"

So I got no Idea what the hang-up is. I eagerly await direction.

Late night edit: just noticed your reference to my 120+ updates statement inna first post. At that time I was on the update page and saw where there were 127 optional updates available and was trying to select a few at a time to install. and the next time I looked up they were no where to be found. I think at about that time I got distracted by getting dropped by wireless and  have no idea what I did wrong or where they went maybe it was a dream sequence that went bad.

Edited by cctexun, 02 February 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#24 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Tech you can yell at me if you want. My sister just dropped in to visit mom and I told her about the issues on router she gave me "grandes number" and 30 minutes later the tech has reset and cleaned up some errors, The issue was a wireless multi media setting had power saver on. So after a period of time of inaction it would trip the switch, so apparently, We are on to the next issue. Thanks for looking in. I feel just like I should, happy the issue is fixed n sheepish that I didn't start with the service provider in the first place.

Now can we turn our attention to Updates?  It ain't finding any just keeps on searching. I will leave it searching while I am here.

What do you need from me at this point to help find the problem? Thanks

That definitely would cause the problem. I apologize for such a late reply. I wasn't sure exactly what type of router you had so that is important for troubleshooting. When a Wifi router goes out a lot of these troubles mimic each other. The crystals do eventually go out and the cause is poor wifi dropouts. So a problem like this can range from settings, to poorly coded firmware, to hardware components going out. The setting you speak of sounds like the WMM (Wifi Multi-media) power saving option for android devices. Basically It adjusts beacon times and buffers information so the Android devices can go into a sleep state to conserve battery power. The fix is to disable the options in the Android device or turn it off completely in the router. I prefer to turn it off in the router. In my honest opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth. Sure it can help conserve power "when" it works correctly. When it doesn't well... you already know what happens (laughs) :lol: .

Edited by technonymous, 02 February 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#25 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Oh goodie Tech isn't yelling at me. Hey Tech thanks for being here n knowin what was going on. Sorry about getting you involved with my own foolishness for not calling the service provider in the first place. But it is nice to know there are folks like you assisting folks like me.

#26 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

Not a problem.

As far as your errors it's not as bad as it looks. The Dell errors seems to be Dell's factory utility to keep their updates &  drivers current. If you messed with that and removed it from the system then you will continue to get that error. It's task manager related so there is still that left behind in task manager.

The btvStack.exe error is bluetooth related. Do you use a blue tooth headset and use skype?

Seems like it is asking permission to use the blue tooth driver for a blue tooth headset. That or Windows Blue tooth services is not starting correctly.

#27 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

I can't tell you if the Dell utility to update drivers has been altered or removed? It is possible but I should have recognized that dell had a reason to be on the laptop. I say that because since this is moms I have spent some time removing things that did not look like they came with her machine. Though I have repeatedly reminded her that if something comes up and says download me, " just click x and shut down your laptop." So if there is a scan to repair or troubleshoot the utility steer me and I will do your bidding.

The Bluetooth part, We may have set up Skype but I don't think she uses her laptop for it anymore I think she uses her iPad for Skype. She does have some headphones she wears to listen to tv while on the cornpruter but they run offa a thing plugged into said tv. So I think neither Skype or Bluetooth are used yet while saying that she does use a bluetooth mouse so there is that to take into the mix. If we can straighten out Bluetooth and Skype, that would be nice.

Member though I need plenty instructions laid out, so I can see them so please, gimme a link or a clip n paste, to do what you need done. I may not have the vocabulary or experience with these newfangled traptions as most 7 year olds. I thank you for all your help.

#28 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Tech did an excellent job. Thanks for sending him or her  over.

Just to correct a misimpression. I didn't 'send' Technonymous over, everybody on this forum is here because they want to be. I did send him a PM (private message) asking if he would step in because he knows more about networking than I do, but that's all. Among other things I was an Army Corporal in the days of my youth and I could 'Say unto this man go and he goeth' etc. but that was a little while ago. I may have the status of 'Moderator' on BC but that merely means I help keep the site running properly. It does not mean I can tell some one which topics to deal with !  If only, if only !

To get back on topic. I have been through your last Speccy report with some care and again it shows that you have no updates at all installed. Have a look at this Speccy report which is from my wife's laptop which has a very similar spec to your Mum's - 64bit 8.1 and 18 months old.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1n5N1MLaeHfdwBiquOW5ERV

If you scroll down to the OS section of the report and expand the sub-section 'Hotfixes' you will see a considerable number of installed updates - I am not even going to start counting them !  And you should have roughly the same number. There are two possible solutions to your update problem that come to mind and the question is which to try first. On the basis of one step at a time go to this web page -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/15356/windows-8-install-update-kb-2919355

A little more than half way down the page you will see a line 'Troubleshoot problems installing the update'. In para 1 there is a link to  the Windows update trouble shooter, click on this link and download and run the troubleshooter. If you are using Internet Explore click the 'Run' option, if you are using Firefox or Chrome use the 'Save' option then run it from your downloads folder.

I have never used this tool so I don't know what happens next !  If it asks for a re-start, do so. It may supply a report in which case please copy/paste it into your next post, or your updates may burst into life. In any case run this tool, give the laptop 24 hours and post back if it makes any difference, or even if it doesn't !

The thing is, according to your Speccy, your updates are set to 'Automatic' and your Update service is running so there is no obvious reason for you not having the necessary updates but it is known that the update system can just go on strike and running this tool can set it back to work.

Technonymous raised the question of your Bluetooth service. That also appears to be running and should not be throwing up problems, however these are relatively minor.

Post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#29 cctexun

cctexun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Chris, After reviewing your post I stand corrected and now realize the administrators of this site have underutilized your expertise. "Let Chris do the sendin" the chant was heard round the world n the people rejoiced. 

I understand the importance of each n every volunteer that mans n womans this site for without them the minions seeking assistance would flounder aimlessly adrift in a sea of flotsam n jetsam n ..... awww heck I lost my train a thought, Oh yeah Thanks to all that make up this community of Bleepers, thanks.

I pulled up a speccy for my own machine at home and noticed a buncha hot fixes on it as well, so I recognize what the speccy of a machine that has updates should look like, seeing the speccy of your wifes la[top reconfirms that recognition. Yet here is the screen shot of Moms update page this morning.

Yeah sorry had to delete the screenshot

I must admit this is the first time since we started this quest I have seen any updates in line to be installed and this is also the first time I have come to this page and the green search bar was not searching. Here is the screen shot of the installed updates

Well here I sit with egg on my face I tried to post screen shots but apparently I am not suposed to so just take my word for it they were there

As you can see. The info from the speccy i posted and the info I am looking at, seem to not be consistent. So since I see on the first screen shot   that there are 2 important updates available I am gonna make an executive decision and attempt to install those updates.  after they install I will turn this blankety-blank off and then back on, watching closely (from a safe distance) to witness iffen it bursts into flames. Then I will report back and you can redetermine, if I should run whatever is in the middle of the page, you put a link to, in your reply. Jesus I must be a nightmare to try to assist.

Okie Dokie those 2 installed, no flames, no clouds, no sonic booms, I may be getting out of this alive. . Sadly I fear   I must report I have also selected 6 of the optional updates to install also. Wish me well.

25 minutes later edit;;; after looking at the page u linked I found said update KB2919355 on the page of installed updates loaded  on 4-26-16.

10 more minutes n still editing this post cowabunga waiting for the next 8 of the optional updates to install. Still no famine nor pestilence.

Edited by cctexun, 04 February 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#30 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

You don't have to sit and watch updates installing, that's like watching paint dry but less exciting !  You can usually be doing somethng else with the computer while they are downloading any way. For major downloads windows will often ask for a restart. If it does, do so but it does no harm to restart between batches of updates.

Adding screenshots to a post is fairly simple but not entirely intuitive. As the famous Mrs. Beaton said "To make jugged hare, first catch your hare". Start by taking your screenshot. The easiest way to do this is press the 'Print Screen' (sometimes Prt Scrn) button. This copies your complete desktop to the clipboard. Then open the graphics editor of your choice, if nothing else you have 'Paint' built in - just enter 'Paint' into search to find it. Then paste your image into Paint. This will put the complete desktop into Paint, then use the cropping tool to reduce the image to just the part you want. Then save the image as a .JPG somewhere convenient.

Next, click on the 'More reply options' which is next to the 'Post' button  and your Post box will expand. Click on the 'Browse' button and find your screenshot then open it. Make sure the insertion point is where you want the image to appear then click the 'Attach this file' button' and that should insert the image. It may only appear to insert the filename but that's alright. Just finish writing your post then click the 'Add reply' button and your post should appear in the topic with the screenshot included. Give it a try.

Since you now seem to be getting updates give it a day or two to see how it goes. Back about September or Otober MS changed the way they shipped out updates to a combined 'roll-up' update so it may be you won't get all that many now on your Mum's laptop since basically there are only one, at the most two, such updates each month.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users