Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are all my multi-layered AV/AM-security setup tools compatible with each other?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:00 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and use these tools as my real-time multi-layered AV/AM-security setup:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Pro, SpywareBlaster Free, WinPatrol PLUS, HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, Malwarebytes 3.0 Free, Acronis True Image 2017, Secunia PSI and Windows Firewall.

They each perform different tasks as it relates to providing comprehensive security against malware.

My browser is Mozilla Firefox 32-bit with the add-ons µBlock Origin, Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere and VTzilla for additional security.

So, now I am wondering;

Are all my multi-layered AV/AM-security setup tools compatible with each other?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and use these tools as my real-time multi-layered AV/AM-security setup:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Pro, SpywareBlaster Free, WinPatrol PLUS, HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard, CryptoPrevent Free, Malwarebytes 3.0 Free, Acronis True Image 2017, Secunia PSI and Windows Firewall.

(emphasis mine)

A bit of clarification:

Neither MBAM Free {EDIT: nor} or MB3 Free provides any real-time protection.

The FREE version of MBAM (now called MB) is only a manual, on-demand, second-opinion scanner to help remove malware that made it past your real-time defenses onto the system.

If you want real-time protection to help prevent infection, you will need the PAID, Premium version, now called MB3 Premium.

It provides real-time anti-malware, anti-exploit, anti-ransomware and website blocking protection.

But it is NOT a full AV, despite company claims to the contrary and claims that it "makes antivirus obsolete" and serves as a sole "AV replacement".

The company has in recent weeks attempted to resolve these apparent discrepancies between marketing claims and product capabilities/gaps.  It remains the case, however, that it is not full AV because it lacks several important features.

MB3 Premium is also supposed to be compatible with full AVs (like the previous version was) to provide side-by-side layered protection.  There have been, however, many incompatibility issues reported with a wide range of MS and 3rd-party AVs.

It works OK for some users with their AV, and it does not work at all with others.  With any luck, these issues will eventually be resolved. 

As for the rest of your selection, it's really impossible to say.  You would be the only one to know.

While a "layered" approach is certainly advisable in today's threat landscape, at some point, running too many real-time security applications is bound to create issues with conflicts, compatibility, performance, and stability.  And it may actually decrease your security, not enhance it (one of several reasons why one should not run two real-time AVs).

And no collection of security applications can protect 100% of computers 100% of the time from 100% of malware.

The first and last line of defense is the computer part located between the chair and keyboard.

Creation of frequent, on-site and off-site data backups and system images is the other key component.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 14 January 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

SpywareBlaster does not run in the background and provide real-time protection like other security tools.aster Instead it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. It restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies.

With that said, I see no compatibility issues with your setup.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Hi, MoxieMomma & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

With all due respect, I emphasized all the security tools which provide real-time protection / run in the background, whereas leaving the others in plain text. :whistle:

Nice to hear that my setup is compatible, and I value your points about Malwarebytes 3.0 as well as SpywareBlaster. B)

Hopefully, other novice members like myself could benefit from running some of, or all my security tools. :busy:

This collection of security tools are the result of recommendations and reading especially this AV/AM/PS Security Subforum, which BTW is my favorite. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 14 January 2017 - 11:20 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

You're always welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi:

Hi, MoxieMomma & quietman7!

Thank you both for the prompt and insightful replies! :)

With all due respect, I emphasized all the security tools which provide real-time protection / run in the background, whereas leaving the others in plain text. :whistle:

You could have fooled/confused me (and perhaps others viewing the post?).

I guess you did. :unsure:

I apologize that I did not understand the notation that "bold = realtime, regular = on-demand".

I understand better now.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Cheers,

MM

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hi again, all!

No need to apologize, as I realize that I should have been clearer initially.

Regards,
midimusicman79

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Since we know there are a lot of folks who read BC topics but do not post...I generally provide more info rather than less which attempts to clarify things for them as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users