Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked PC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Greetings, not sure where to post this (I had windows 10 home) I said had because someone decided they were going to "help" they somehow put win 10 pro on this pc and now it's locked. I can't do anything to fix it because it needs administrator password which I don't remember(I always logged on auto) can't boot to safe mode, can't use cmd prompt, can't do system restore,nothing I try will unlock this pc (not even microsoft account). No I don't have a recovery disc( win 10 home was downloaded because I originally had win 7 home) Others have said there are third party tools that I could use but I'm kinda hesitant.I trust you guys here and I appreciate your opinion and help. If there are third party tools (and free or at least trial versions) I'm all ears.And thnx for the help. (My tip of the day don't let anyone on your pc lol) :tvhorror:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

You can create a recovery disc by downloading Windows 10 and putting the image on a DVD;

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

If you previously upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it was activated the product code was digitally recorded by Microsoft.  When you reinstall the correct version of Windows 10 it should automatically activate the operating system.  If this computer is a OEM version you will have to go to the manufacturer's website and download all of the drivers you need.

As for creating the installation media, you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

The directions are pretty straightforward, just take you time and follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

As previously posted you will need to reinstall Windows Home and all programs too including Office if you have it. Do you need data off the computer? If so you can either do it with a USB adapter, docking station or by using a live linux disk.

#5 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Greetings, and thnx for all the advice yes I upgraded from windows 7 to 10, So as you say I should be good to go, :thumbup2:

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Greetings, and thnx for all the advice yes I upgraded from windows 7 to 10, So as you say I should be good to go, :thumbup2:

Yes, just follow the advice that dc3 has provided. If you have any problems, just report back on this thread.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Greetings,.came across a snafu while trying to reinstall win 10. For some reason I can't boot from a dvd  bios says it's disabled? (went into advanced options)  Anyway is there any way to enable this or do I have to resort to flash drive and go through copying everything again (not a problem but I would like to be able to use the dvd option) Thnx

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Is the boot order in the BIOS set so that the DVD drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd/ssd the second device?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Is the boot order in the BIOS set so that the DVD drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd/ssd the second device?

Here's what  it says CD/DVD 1st drive with the following [ P1-PLDS DVD+1-RW D ] with a footnote that says the parenthesis means it's not installed. Didn't notice hdd/ssd.

#10 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

Here's what  it says CD/DVD 1st drive with the following [ P1-PLDS DVD+1-RW D ] with a footnote that says the parenthesis means it's not installed. Didn't notice hdd/ssd.

Greetings, can anyone give me some input as to how to have bios  enable dvd drive,(it says it's disabled) I know you guys are busy so any input is appreciated. Thnx

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If I know who the manufacturer of your BIOS and its version I can provide instructions for changing the boot order.  To acquire this information please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#12 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

Greetings, as the pc is locked I am unable to download anything, hopefully what info i give you may be of some help  

• win7 Home Premium 64Bit SP1
  • Antivirus Software
    AVAST PRO
  • Firewall
    Windows Firewall
  • Computer
    Dell Inspiron 560
  • CPU
    Intel Pentium ES800 @3.20GHz(6-6-6-15)
  • Motherboard
    Dell Inc 018D1Y (cpu1)
  • Ram
    3.00GB-Dual Channel DDR3 @398MHz(6-6-6-15)
  • Storage
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS75VOAO(SATA)
  • BIOS A06  12/01/10
As you can see it was originally Win7 Home but was upgraded(digitially) to Win 10 Home

#13 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If I know who the manufacturer of your BIOS and its version I can provide instructions for changing the boot order.  To acquire this information please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Greetings. see post #12 thnx 

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Greetings. see post #12 thnx

Please do what I requested.  The specific information I'm looking for can be seen in the Speccy, but what you posted does not provide it.

Example:

snapshot1_zpss6mb6rii.png

Edited by dc3, 27 January 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#15 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Greetings, let me EXPLAIN the pc is LOCKED therefore I am UNABLE to access it (win 10) the pc I am using is xp. The info I had given was written down when it was accessed BEFORE it was locked(lost password  post #1) it's all the info I had   I had made an iso of win 10 to reinstall win 10 but I am unable to because  I am unable to use the dvd drive (says it's disabled) I want to enable it so I can reinstall win 10 . Can anyone advise as to how to do this? THNX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users