Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Royally Messed Up My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TechStupid

TechStupid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

OKAY. . . So, as my username implies, I am not very good with technology. I needed to clear space on my hard drive for Fall Out 4 on steam. I use windows 7. I have a Toshiba. 

Stupidly, I started deleting any program I didn't recognize. So I wound up accidentally deleting my sound drive, the toshiba bluetooth thing and....... evidently a few other things that I need and now do not have. I got the sound issue resolved on my own, so at least there's that. HOWEVER I can't play any games on here. I also can't run troubleshooter, because it..... doesn't work anymore. 

More specifically:      (If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it!)

1. When I go to control panel to view devices there is a yellow triangle Icon with a !  on my ADMIN-PC

Attached File  Untitled.png   32.82KB   0 downloads

2. When I go to use troubleshooter to find the issue I get the following:

Path: Unknown

Error Code: 0x800736B1

Source: Engine

User: Admin-PC/Admin

Context: Elevated

3.  Then we have this other one "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150002). Click OK to close the application."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:42 AM

Are you able to run a system file check?

Type cmd into the start seach box. Then when it appears at the top right click on it and select run as admin.

Then copy and paste this into yhe little black windows that appears and press enter.

sfc /scannow

Takes a while to run.

Also do you know if you have any system restore points available from before you started..err..'fixing' your laptop?

You can see if you have by going to Control Panel..System... System properties ...and selecting the System Restore button. Then click next on the window that appears and it will list any restore points you have.

#3 TechStupid

TechStupid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:09 AM

Are you able to run a system file check?

Type cmd into the start seach box. Then when it appears at the top right click on it and select run as admin.

Then copy and paste this into yhe little black windows that appears and press enter.

sfc /scannow

Takes a while to run.

Also do you know if you have any system restore points available from before you started..err..'fixing' your laptop?

You can see if you have by going to Control Panel..System... System properties ...and selecting the System Restore button. Then click next on the window that appears and it will list any restore points you have.

It's running the check right now. As for the restore, I had this thing fixed by my stepdad recently because it wouldn't start at all. He had me create a restore point after we got it working again, but according to this I don't have any restore points saved. :|

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

sfc /scannow now will repair or replace corrupt files, but it will not replace the programs which were uninstalled.

Did you uninstall these programs in Programs and Features in the Control Panel?

One thing you can try would be to boot into Safe Mode and run the Last known good configuration.  This may resolve some of your issues, but you will more than likely need to reinstall the programs that were uninstalled.

If the operating system and drivers are too badly tweaked you will probably need to use the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the computer back to the condition the operating system was in when it was shipped from the manufacturer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TechStupid

TechStupid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

sfc /scannow now will repair or replace corrupt files, but it will not replace the programs which were uninstalled.

Did you uninstall these programs in Programs and Features in the Control Panel?

One thing you can try would be to boot into Safe Mode and run the Last known good configuration.  This may resolve some of your issues, but you will more than likely need to reinstall the programs that were uninstalled.

If the operating system and drivers are too badly tweaked you will probably need to use the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the computer back to the condition the operating system was in when it was shipped from the manufacturer.

Will I lose all of my stuff that way?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Did you try booting into Safe Mode and doing the Last Known Good Configuration?

As I stated earlier, the System Recovery Partition will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it was shipped by the manufacturer.  Yes, this means that you would lose all of your data, pictures, documents, music, third party programs, you get the idea.

By March I will have been posting here for eleven years.  One of the saddest reoccurring scenarios I've seen repeatedly are members who need to reinstall the operating system and haven't backed up their important data.  If you haven't backed up all of your important data to removable media (external hdd, flash drive/s, cloud, etc.) and you reinstall the operating system you will lose all of that data.  If you can access those folders you should save those to external media so that they can be reinstalled after the operating system has been reinstalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users