Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Linux Distro for Dell Inspiron 1721

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 alex984

alex984

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

So recently i was thinking What Linux Distro is best for my Dell inspiron 1721 here are my specs

•  RAM: 1.5GB
  • Processer: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Mobile Technoligies
  • Graphics: ATI X1250
  • HDD Size: 110 GB

So what Linux Distros can i use on my old Dell Inspiron 1721 so i can revive it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Almost any distro you please. 1.5gb is more than enough for most *Nix OS's

Here are a few:

http://lubuntu.net/

http://www.lxle.net/

http://ultimateedition.info/

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Check those out (Debian based, because easy)

the first two are really lightweight and the second 2 are pretty good as well, of course these are NOT your only options.

Edited by Viper_Security, 13 January 2017 - 07:25 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Personally I would go with Linux Mint

Why...?....

It will feel fairly familiar to you, because you are coming from windows

More user friendly than ubuntu (again...because you are coming from windows)

Have a look at Mike Walsh's profile or signature.......he is a 'Puppy' enthusiast.....generally those Linux distros run on the smell of an oily rag....while still maintaining a good set of available programs etc etc

The reason I am pointing you there is because you don't have a great deal of RAM (1.5GB)

Any of the puppy's would have your PC absolutely Flying !!!!

Talk to Mike.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

I would suggest Linux Mint XFCE 18, because it should support your graphics card out of box (via the open source Radeon driver), and it sounds like it may also support your wireless card out of box. Also, the Linux Mint family is one of the more user friendly sets of distros, which makes it great for newcomers, though it is equally loved by experienced users.

You can get Linux Mint XFCE 18 from here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=222

Welcome to the Linux section of Bleeping Computer :)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

This is a great old laptop to install Linux to.  I just installed to a 1720 and it runs like a dream! with a slower processor.  

See if you have more than 1.5GB of RAM, because I would Install "Linux Mint Mate 17.3-64bit" to that one if is has just a little more RAM.  Most of those came with 3GB of RAM, as did mine.  Another word of caution, if it were me, would install an older version of Linux.  Especially if you don't have a lot of  time to devote to testing.  You could start out with the newest and see how the graphics are, and make sure the Wifi works...first thing.  The newer Version of Ubuntu's is 16.04.1 and the newest of Linux Mint Flavors is Version 18.1, but as I said above 17.3 may be better.  I've had issues with Version 18 on older computers, although, they may have some of this worked out now in 18.1.  If the RAM is correct then go with what was suggested above.  I like hollowface's suggestion "Linux Mint XFCE 18"

So, if you do have more than 1.5GB of RAM, I highly suggest this one, unless you don't mind downloading a few and testing them out.  It only has two more years of support but I believe you will be able to Upgrade to 18.xx later on.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=206

Remember, you can use youtube to take a look at this stuff.  This may not  be the best video but it's a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0G1bOlr6Y

pc

Edited by pcpunk, 13 January 2017 - 11:14 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

Linux Mint 18 MATE (32 bit) is running fine on a 12-13 year old notebook with only 2GB or first gen DDR 2700 MHz RAM, far better than I expected. :)

The notebook setup for my wife has only 8GB DDR3 RAM, runs Linux Mint 17.3 MATE 64 bit, though really normally consumes less than at idle (around 650-700MB), then jumps to just over 1.2GB if several Google Chrome webpages are open. To my knowledge, never hits the Swap area, and to be honest, don't know why I bothered with creating it, other than a friendly reminder by the installer that I didn't allocate Swap space. 

So Linux Mint MATE 64 bit is also an option & has lots more software installed than Xfce, and really uses no more resources. It's important if one installs Google Chrome to go into the browser's settings, go on down to 'Show Advanced Setting' & go to the bottom (same with Chromium, Vivaldi & any browsers based on Chromium), and uncheck the option 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed'. This action alone will save a ton of resources, as Google & browsers similar will by default, have several things going on behind the scenes, that can be discovered by clicking System Tools >  System Monitor & then click the Processes tab. Also, when System Monitor is first opened, it'll show the current resources totalled. 

Right now, am using 6.4GB of RAM, though have many (30+) Google Chrome tabs opened, and a couple of paused YouTube videos on Full 1080p HD, so that comes into play, as well as having VLC Media Player going, listening to free music. Yet if I only had the default three Web pages open only & nothing else, would be using close to 1.5GB RAM, some of this may be in part to the installed GPU, as nearly all of my 12GB of RAM is showing (11.7GB), the rest is going to the motherboard & sound. Most all computers will reserve some memory for onboard devices, to include onboard video/audio (unless disabled in the UEFI or BIOS) & still the monitor won't show the full amount available for one's use, the MB has to have a little RAM. 

Just throwing that out there, that Linux Mint 18 MATE 64 bit will install & run fine on the system, adding the RAM to it's max will improve the entire system. You can purchase a matched set (recommended) on eBay for less than half the cost of new modules, and will have a full 60 day warranty, so be sure to run the built in MemTest for several hours a couple of times to ensure all is OK, When purchasing a single stick, you may have trouble finding the identical model, or the full set may not cost much more or may be less. Popular models are more expensive & pricing is based on market demand, if one tried to get it too cheap, many eBay sellers has 'shill bidders' to jack up the price. 

While that is illegal at most any auction (physical building or online) & against eBay's rules, it's difficult to enforce. I've purchased quite a few sets of memory on eBay & have had to return only one set, looked like these had been overclocked, evidenced by scorching that couldn't be cleaned off, including the god plated pins & was refunded by eBay within 24 hours & told by the seller to keep the modules. Yet this was one set out of at least 20, possibly 25, so that's a good track record. :)

If DDR2 RAM, Amazon carries the A-Tech brand of RAM with a lifetime warranty & compatible with many computers, I have a Dell Optiplex desktop (not the same type as below) running two sets of the brand (8GB total), 

https://www.amazon.com/PC2-6400-Modules-200-pin-Genuine-Tech/dp/B00C53CY2C/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3LKWIQ3PBTNT2&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484477508&sr=1-2&refinements=p_6%3AA3LKWIQ3PBTNT2%2Cp_89%3AA-Tech+Components%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A14329121

Just one example out of many, 4GB will run Linux Mint effortlessly, as well as other Linux distros. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 15 January 2017 - 06:00 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi alex984 and :welcome: to the Linux & Unix section, hope you enjoy your time here.

Any of the above suggestions has merit.

I like hollowface's suggestion "Linux Mint XFCE 18"

So do I - it has some cool screensavers too, which run random by default.

Hard to pick a lemon with Linux, so enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

I like hollowface's suggestion "Linux Mint XFCE 18"

While Xfce is a good minimalist desktop, MATE is full featured (loaded with software) & uses barely any more resources (idles around 600-700MHz). However, Cinnamon & KDE does use more, and I'd not recommend either for that notebook w/out 4GB RAM installed. And neither may not look that good anyway, as compared to one designed to run Windows 7 or later. That's a restriction of an older notebook that we have to put up with, not being able to render graphics like on a desktop PC that'll accept a PCIe graphics card. Some older ones are still stuck with onboard, or an overly expensive & low performing PCI model that may overload the power supply. 

To put it in perspective, DDR2 RAM is twice as powerful as DDR RAM (same applies to every new generation), and here I was just a bit ago running Linux Mint 18 on a notebook that's 2-3 years older (manufactured in 2003), with 2GB of DDR-2700 RAM. 1GB of DDR2-6400 RAM will run a bit faster than what's in mine & 2GB of the same will stomp a mudhole though it. :P   

Plus has the advantage of running in dual channel mode, for even better performance, which cannot be overlooked, when a matched set of memory is used. :)

I'd recommend a low cost 2GB RAM upgrade kit as linked above, has a Lifetime warranty, and run Linux Mint MATE. You'd be surprised at the difference between that and a struggling XP, even with the same amount of RAM installed. That was one thing about XP I didn't like, the more RAM it was fed, the more would be used, all the way up to the 3.25GB limit on a 32 bit system. XP will find a way to continually use at least 80% of the installed RAM (same goes for Vista). Memory management for Windows didn't happen until Windows 7, when Ubuntu/Linux Mint, when these were on CD's rather than DVD's, had excellent management for years prior.

I was very surprised to find that my former Dell Latitude D610 (with 2GB DDR2) was struggling to run XP, especially after the horrid IE8 release, ran Ubuntu, and later on after some distro shopping, Linux Mint perfectly fine. System wasn't running wide open anymore & therefore very responsive. So bloat plays a factor also, and most all Linux distros has much less overhead than a Windows one does, by a longshot. :)

However, unless you upgrade your RAM, preferably to a dual channel kit like in my link posted above, you're limited to Puppy and other very minimalist desktop editions. 

BTW, I'm so happy that you opened this Topic, because while I can't upgrade my RAM, for less than $10, I can obtain one of the CPU's on this list on this page & make it more powerful that way. 

http://www.notebookreview.com/news/pin-modding-and-overclocking-a-pentium-m-guide/

All I have to do is swap my Pentium M 740 to a 725 for a 'safe' overclock, anything that's a 1.7GHz or higher lessens the chance of success & must have a 400FSB. Gave me a great little idea that won't break the bank. :P

Hang in there, we'll find a Linux distro suited for your needs. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

I would give a look at Antix MX-16 comes already loaded with usable software and runs Xfce window manager.

LM 18 Xfce is a good choice also, I use both on different computers without any problems or complaints.

In my case these two installed and run right out of the box without any problems on my old computers from 2006 and 2008 both have intel core2 duo processors and 3.0 gb DDR2 memory.

https://mxlinux.org/

The Toolman

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

@The-Toolman

:welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix Section, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Just a clarification on the above post:

The MX series of Distros (Linux Distributions) eg MX-14, MX-15 and currently MX-16 ... are a cooperative effort between antiX and the former Mepis Community.

antiX have their own Distros, currently at antiX-16.

I run antiX-16, MX-16 and Linux Mint 18.06 Xfce, and enjoy them all.

Cheers

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

@The-Toolman

:welcome: to BC and to the Linux & Unix Section, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Just a clarification on the above post:

The MX series of Distros (Linux Distributions) eg MX-14, MX-15 and currently MX-16 ... are a cooperative effort between antiX and the former Mepis Community.

antiX have their own Distros, currently at antiX-16.

I run antiX-16, MX-16 and Linux Mint 18.06 Xfce, and enjoy them all.

Cheers

You are right my mistake  :thumbup2:

I'm Old.

I also use Antix 16 on my really old computers and it makes them feel as though they are new computers.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edited by The-Toolman, 27 January 2017 - 07:13 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I run antiX-16, MX-16

I see from your other posts that you have multi-boot linux systems , and also that you like antiX.

I played with it in a VM and I liked what I saw , but I just can't get it to run live from a USB created with YUMI

I've used YUMI for years as a way to " road-test " many linux distros , but antiX just won't play nicely .

It's just about the first time that I have failed with YUMI and I can't work out why .
Any tips or pointers that you can suggest ?

I also notice that YUMI doesn't appear to support MX-16 yet .

Edited by synaptic, 28 January 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Please note that this topic concerns "Best Linux Distro for Dell Inspiron 1721."

All members are of course welcome to start a new topic on any Linux operating system or related software, or to post in an existing relevant topic if there is one.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

@synaptic:

As Al1000 has said. Both Al and I are antiX-16 users, also MX-xx users, I think (I use MX-16 and MX-15) so may have valuable input for you in the appropriate forum (read Topic).

@all:

Haven't seen the OP for 2 weeks, so when we do, we may be able to better direct him. Hope he is not overwhelmed with the diverse choices Linux offers, lol.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:49 AM

Hope he is not overwhelmed with the diverse choices Linux offers, lol.

Sometimes that's what happens when so many choices are thrown at a new Linux user, it's best to suggest 2-3 total & back off, letting the member have time to take these for a spin. :)

That's the best and the worst thing with Linux to newbies, most have been used to one OS all of their computing lives (Android, Mac & Windows), of which the latter has three supported OS's. While it's good to have lots of choices, kind of like being overwhelmed when standing in line at a restaurant & it's that person's time to decide from the large menu, it's the same way with Linux. Throw too much at a new user & (s)he'll be ran off. :(

Maybe that's why my best luck with recruiting (in person) new Linux users with Linux Mint MATE for those who wants a full featured OS & occasionally Xfce for those who prefers a minimal install. Sometimes one likes the 'Metro' or Modern UI look & prefers Ubuntu. These are mainstream distros that most all experienced LInux users recognises and/or uses or may have began with. That's why Ubuntu is #1 & Linux Mint is #2. Zorin OS, though less popular, has been a bridge for newcomers to Linux, so I respect that choice also, being that there's been a fairly good number of positive articles about the distro. 

Some of the distros mentioned has little support of their on, or posts are heavily censored (Peach OSI comes to mind here), odd that they sell all kinds of merchandise yet wants no real Forum to grow (they truly could), and for the most part, it's all Free, including Staff members to keep things running. Heavy handed censorship doesn't look nor does the distro any good, reminds me of places where citizens aren't free to speak up & will only serve to keep the OS in it's current position, in the middle of the pack, where it should be. With a truly open Forum, the distro could have been in the Top 25 by now. Selling T-Shirts & coffee mugs won't gain significant market share. 

So suggesting OS's that has open Forums is good, there are times when we don't have an answer to everything, though often can be found on their own & can provide links to. 

Hopefully the OP will return & lets unite and assist, rather than throw too many little known choices out there & drive members away. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users