Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Games Lag Only When They Have Focus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kai__M

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

I have a triple-monitor setup and recently decided to try using it for gaming. I already use this PC for gaming but had only run games on a single monitor.

So I tried a couple games on triple-monitor using Nvidia's Surround feature in the Nvidia Control Panel, and both games ran near flawlessly. Later that day I decided to show a family member so I started a couple different titles and both of them lagged terribly (get almost exactly 5 FPS). I thought that those titles must have been too unoptimized or demanding so I tried one of the games that I knew already worked but that too was now running at 5 FPS.

Upon looking into it further myself I discovered that if the game doesn't have focus (for example, I launch a Windows Explorer window in front of it) the game runs smoothly behind it. As soon as I click within the game to refocus it, the frame-rate drops back to 5 FPS.

I am a technical person and not new to troubleshooting issues with software and hardware, but I'm frankly quite stumped by this. To make things more confusing I did find a game that doesn't lag on triple-monitor: Minecraft. I haven't the slightest clue as to why Minecraft would not lag, yet everything else would.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm quite stumped to say the least.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor @ 3.50 GHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users