Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/Mouse not working in Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britta

britta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

Rebooted my computer yesterday to find that my mouse and keyboard will not work in windows.

The keyboard does work prior to windows loading, I can use it to use F8, etc but once I am on the windows loading screen neither works any longer.

Windows will completely load fine as is all is well, all of my stuff loads, I just cannot use my mouse or keyboard.

When I reboot with no keyboard or mouse plugged in, once windows is all up and running I still see a cursor frozen in the center of the screen as though there is a mousse plugged in - it even will have moments with the little spinning wheel on the cursor as though it is waiting for something to happen.

I've tried starting up in safe mode, but neither the mouse or keyboard will work in safe mode either.

I've also tried a different keyboard (sstill USB as it is all I have) but that did not help.

I let chkdsk run to no avail, I don't know what I can do to fix this at this point.

I also tried to remote access my computer from my boyfriend's but my computer does not have remote access allowed.

The mouse and keyboard are both USB

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8000

I have my little dell windows CD that came with the computer, but I know if i reinstall windows I will lose all of my data (should have backed up, I know). I am willing to do this if U have no other option, but I would really like to avoid losing everything if possible.

Edited by britta, 13 January 2017 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Do you have any other USB devices plugged in?  How many USB ports on this system?  The specs indicate 8 USB ports...you've tried them all?

FWIW:  When the mouse is not connected to a system...you are supposed to get the screen where the mouse is frozen in place.

How did you initiate a chkdsk...if no input device works?

Louis

#3 britta

britta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

Louis,

I was not sure about the mouse being frozen in place if there is not one connected as I've never really done that before, so that is good to know.

I unplugged all of my USB devices except for the KB and mouse, then at one point I tried things with only the keyboard plugged in. It does have 8 USB ports - funny enough I've had the machine for 6 years and I had no idea about the additional two in the front that are behind a slide down panel. Anyhow, I did try all of the ports. The ports are working fine as are the KB and mouse.

I can use the keyboard and mouse to tap F8 for example during the boot up process when I get the screen that says F2 for setup and F12 for boot options. I ran chkdsk by booting to my windows installation CD - both the keyboard and mouse work fine in this and I could choose to repair windows via the disc and then got to the system recovery options and chose command prompt and did it from there. 

The keyboard and mouse work up until the Windows Welcome screen, then they go dead and I cannot use them. Windows comes up as normal, I can see my desktop and the frozen mouse.. Cannot usse the mouse or KB though once I have reached the blue Welcome screen. I also tried another USB keyboard and mouse, no luck there either. All four of them are in working order, I tried them on another machine. 

Additionally, when Windows is all loaded as normal, if I unplug the mouse or KB and plug them back in it makes the sound that it makes when it recognizes that you've plugged something in... there is just for some reason no functionality.

In my research to try to figure out what is happening I saw something about the drivers for the mouse/KB being corrupted, I don't know if this is my problem or not. 

At this point, I am creating a bootable flash drive to try and save my important files should I need to reinstall Windows.

Britta

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

I am at a loss...I've not seen any situation where both input devices failed to perform properly.

Moved topic to Internal Hardware, where better minds can hopefully address.

Louis

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

I use to have a mouse driver that use to bug out every so often and would stop windows from booting, my self with your problem i would probably boot windows in to safe mode and go to device manager and purge everything usb driver wise down the drain and see if a full usb driver purge/reinstall changes something.

Sadly the min your in windows you have no usb so no keyboard no mouse from what i understand and you have no ps2 ports, mind trying this ?

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Burn a copy of this to dvd, its live boot and see if all the usb work in linux, if so then it seems windows is buggered, could do the standard repair install as well as a "sfc /scannow" at the command line.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

Have a read of this thread

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192914-usb-keyboard-mouse-do-not-work-once-windows-starts.html

#7 Ryanjr61

Ryanjr61

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Do you have sound ? If you do so try unplugging, and wait for the windows to make a sound. Then reconnect you're mouse, and keyboard one at a time waiting for  windows to find it. Windows will make a sound when it finds it, Also what Keyboard, and mouse is it? I have had this problem before and that is what I done to fix it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users