Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Hangouts on iOS 7.0?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I am trying to help my friend get her google voice phone number to work on a deactivated Verizon Iphone 4 (MD197LL/A) running iOS 7.1.2(11D257), not rooted. It would be connected to her home wifi.

Yesterday I checked and I thought I found the Apple store saying Google Hangouts required 7.0 but now it says it requires 8.0. What I don't understand is the last update was in December. Does anyone know what version of Google Hangouts was compatible with iOS 7.0 and if it's possible to install? If so, how?

Also, is it correct that this phone is not compatible with iOS 8.0?

Edited by Trikein, 13 January 2017 - 05:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Correct, that phone stops at iOS 7.1.2. No official method can upgrade it.

The AppStore is the only official repository for iOS software. If they have version 8 and not 7, then that is all they will offer, under normal circumstances.

Install old version of apps for iOS

That's pretty much the only solution. I think you need Google Hangouts on your account first.

Edited by Gorbulan, 13 January 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Correct, that phone stops at iOS 7.1.2. No official method can upgrade it.

The AppStore is the only official repository for iOS software. If they have version 8 and not 7, then that is all they will offer, under normal circumstances.

Install old version of apps for iOS

That's pretty much the only solution. I think you need Google Hangouts on your account first.

Ok, so I need to figure out a way to install a older version of Hangouts through Itunes or it's a no go. I will give that a try tomorrow. Need to find the sync/charge cable first. Thanks!

As a secondary question, does anyone know of a VOIP app that works over Wifi that will work with a Iphone 4 on iOS 7? I was able to install Google Voice but that is phone management app and not a VOIP client. Is there a 3rd party app that will work with a google voice number?

Edited by Trikein, 13 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

I did a quick search on the App Store and it seemed any that I found required iOS 8 or newer. So, you will likely have to try the method in the link that Gorbulan provided.

#5 Trikein

Trikein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:31 AM

The problem originated from her switching to a free cellular provider and getting a broken phone that is pre-andoid era. I was trying to setup a temp fix until her cellular provider can send her a new SIM card for her Iphone instead. I am thinking about seeing how that goes before first beforegoing this route. If the SIM card can activate the cellular service then I CAN use Google Voice, which uses a access line. I don't want to break that possibility trying to set up a temp only fix. 

PS. Anyone have any experience with True Wireless? Will it work with Iphone 4? Getting answers from support was like pulling teeth and their website is so bad.  :smash:

Edited by Trikein, 14 January 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

The problem originated from her switching to a free cellular provider and getting a broken phone that is pre-andoid era. I was trying to setup a temp fix until her cellular provider can send her a new SIM card for her Iphone instead. I am thinking about seeing how that goes before first beforegoing this route. If the SIM card can activate the cellular service then I CAN use Google Voice, which uses a access line. I don't want to break that possibility trying to set up a temp only fix. 

PS. Anyone have any experience with True Wireless? Will it work with Iphone 4? Getting answers from support was like pulling teeth and their website is so bad.  :smash:

I cannot see how going through the process that Gorbulan linked to would mess up setting up the iPhone with a SIM card. It is not jailbreaking the iPhone or anything like that. It is merely buying the "current" version of the app on another device, which then in theory should allow you to download the last "older version" working version of the app that works with an iPhone running iOS 7.x. If the iPhone is then setup with a SIM, it should just be a matter of using the Google Voice app and deleting the other app if desired.

Of course, strange things do happen, so I will say you are completely paranoid to wait. :grinner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users