Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port not recognizing any devices

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Snax111

Snax111

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. The laptop has two USB ports. One of them, which is the only one I use, suddenly stopped working while the devices were plugged into it.

I plugged the failed devices into the second port, and they worked fine. Knowing that the problem was the port and not the devices, I started troubleshooting it by restarting (several times) and looking in Device Manager.

In Device Manager, a USB device has a yellow warning sign and it says "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)." I uninstalled this device and restarted, but it just says the same thing again. If I click properties, the device's status is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)."

I should also note that when I plug a device into the bad port, it lights up, so it seems to be getting power from the port. The devices don't seem to have any corruption or data loss.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Snax111, 13 January 2017 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Open the Device Manager and right click on the first device at the top of the tree.  Select Scan for hardware changes.  This will force the USB port to restart.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Snax111

Snax111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Okay, I did that and it has the same status. The port still doesn't recognize any devices plugged into it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Is the yellow warning icon in one of the USB options outlined in red below?

device%20man._zpstvudxgfg.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Snax111

Snax111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

Sorry about the late reply. No, the device doesn't seem to be one of those, although since its name is "Unknown USB Device", I don't know what its original name was. I attached a screenshot of my devices.

Attached Files

• Attached File  usb.PNG   42.27KB   2 downloads

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Try this.  Remove all USB devices except for you keyboard and mouse, start the computer and see if the warning icon is still being seen.

#7 Snax111

Snax111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

That's what I'm already doing. The only USB device plugged in is my wireless mouse, and that's how it was when I restarted.

Edited by Snax111, 16 January 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

See if disabling USB selective suspend helps. You may need to reboot.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51294-power-options-add-remove-usb-selective-suspend.html

#9 Snax111

Snax111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

Unfortunately I've already tried that as well on the day the problem occurred. Sorry I forgot to mention it.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:41 AM

Something else to try.

Turn off laptop, remove the power lead and take out the battery.

Press and hold the power button in for 20 seconds or so.

Have a look around the room for a minute or so (optional :))

Plug power lead back in and start machine.

When machine is fully loaded try usb port again then put battery back in.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

If opera's suggestion does not work then it could be a hardware fault on that one port. Boot a live linux disk like Fatdog. Attach a flash drive. If you do not see a USB icon pop up on the lower desktop in that one port but in your known good port then you know it's hardware.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users