Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electrical outage - Win 10 only goes as far as automatic repair screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AMCO

AMCO

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not super savvy with computer issues, but find that for most things I can figure out what to do. This has me stumped and while Google brought me to your forum, I couldn't find this same situation, so forgive me if I am duplicating a question.

We have a small home based business and live and die by my computer. We had a serious electrical outage two days ago and when they finally got the power back on, I tried booting my computer.

I get a blue screen that says Windows was unable to start, but gives different potential solutions to solve the problem. So this is the blue screen of repair.

I have tried all of the options. When I tried to restore to the day prior to the outage it couldn't do it. I really need the computer, but I am at a loss as to how to get the computer past that screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AMCO

AMCO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

This isn't a reply, but I should have added that my computer was originally a Windows 7 operating system and I updated to Windows 10 via download. I recently had to delete some of the windows updates to get rid of an error message that wouldn't go away. Until this, it had been stable in operation and I wasn't experiencing problems. I did try check disk from a C: prompt and the immediate response was no errors found, so I suspect that check disk never happened. The PC is one that I had built several years ago - prior to the release of Windows 8. I will gladly provide more information if it will help.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

electrical outage two days ago and when they finally got the power back on

Was the computer on when the electric went down?  And (important) was the computer plugged in when the power was restored? Do you have this computer connected to a surge protector of at least 400 joules?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

Even do you have run error checking for C: partition you should make sure C: partition where Windows is installed.

When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

This sounds like a hard drive problem. I hope that you have multiple copies of all of your data safely stored in a location separate from your PC. I am a music buff and I have spent several years transferring my music collection to digital storage. I have 5 separate copies of my music collection right now;

1. Hard drive connected to my computer

2. Hard drive in a drawer next to the compuer

3. Hard drive stored at my youngest Daughter's house.

4. Hard drive stored at my oldest Daughter's house.

5. Cloud.

The point is that I believe from what you said that your problem is hardware related and not OS related. Since this is your home based business I am probably preaching to the choir and you probably have just as many redundant copies of your data as I do, as you already know how important it is.

Check all of the cables in your computer, check your power supply for anything unusual and check your hard drives to see if they still work. You might need to replace hard drive to fix your problem.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not super savvy with computer issues, but find that for most things I can figure out what to do. This has me stumped and while Google brought me to your forum, I couldn't find this same situation, so forgive me if I am duplicating a question.

We have a small home based business and live and die by my computer. We had a serious electrical outage two days ago and when they finally got the power back on, I tried booting my computer.

I get a blue screen that says Windows was unable to start, but gives different potential solutions to solve the problem. So this is the blue screen of repair.

I have tried all of the options. When I tried to restore to the day prior to the outage it couldn't do it. I really need the computer, but I am at a loss as to how to get the computer past that screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If your computer is important to you, to avoid this scenario in the future store a system image of your C: drive on an external hard drive. You will be up and running again within a half hour. A lot of people use Macrium Reflect for that, but there are other options.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

Can you access the Command Prompt and run commands from there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

I did try check disk from a C: prompt and the immediate response was no errors found, so I suspect that check disk never happened.

I'm assuming you're able to get to the command prompt via the automated repair menu? If you run chkdsk from there, it shouldn't require a restart, but if it does and chkdsk immediately exits, then use the command chkntfs /t:0 before using chkdsk /f. I'd recommend backing up anything important first though, and a hardware check is probably in order.

There places to go from there once that all is done, but I'd take care of those things first.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

when you ran chkcsk did you include a switch after chkdsk?  Example: chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f?

I would suggest running chkdsk /r.  The /r switch has the same functionality of the /f switch but will search for bad sectors and will recover any readable information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users