Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watchdog prevents completing bootup; how to remove it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 sailorben

sailorben

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

I have found instructions to remove Watchdog, but all I've seen so far require that the system be running.  Mine refuses to go beyond the "Phase 0; Phase1" displays, after which it essentially freezes, or more probably loops somehow, as it does continue to show disk action periodically.  When I first got the (refurb) system it was already doing this, but would go on to let Windows load after a few reboots. At that time the system was on W7; I upgraded to 10, and hoped that would fix it, because I hadn't a clue what "Watchdog" was and thought the new OS would likely get rid of it; It obviously didn't, and then it stopped progressing to load Windows no matter how many reboots I tried. I didn't realize it was malware until a few days ago (doh!). Note: I can interrupt the boot with "setup", but can't figure out how to change anything relevant from there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

My name is TsVk!, but you can call me John. I'll be helping you with your issue.

Just a few ground rules before we get started.

• Please don't run any malware removal programs unless directed.
  • Please don't make any system changes unless directed.
  • Please copy and paste all logs in plain text straight into your reply, do not quote or attach logs.

These things are to make it easier for me to help you.

I've looked at your post and will respond as soon as possible with instructions.

Please be aware that I am still in training and everything that I say needs to be covered in detail with my instructor. This is a bonus for you because you have two sets of eyes on your thread, but you need to be aware this can take some time so my responses may take a day or so.

TsVk!

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hi sailorben,

Your problem does not appear to be caused by malware but by an AVG error. There's several possible solutions so we may need to try a few things.

First...

• remove any wireless USB devices and then reboot your system (particularly Logitech)

if that doesn't work

• remove all USB devices including any printers then reboot your system

Once your system has rebooted you can re-attach your peripherals and download the AVG removal tool to remove AVG.

You can now install another anti-virus solution. My current picks of the available free solutions are Avira and BitDefender. Though other popular solutions include Sophos and Avast.

Is your problem resolved?

John

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

It's been a few days, do you still require assistance?

John

#5 sailorben

sailorben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Sorry for the delay; I was away for a bit. Thanks so much for your reply.  I was lucky. I kept trying and trying to reboot, and after 30 or so tries it finally did so. At that point I immediately uninstalled AVGFree and the problem went away.  You had not yet responded so I didn't have a chance to try  your method, but I appreciate your specifying something that could be done under the circumstances. My other computers are on (paid) AVG, but that sub is about to run out, so I have ordered Kaspersky as a replacement; BitDefender looked best in the tech ratings, but I saw a lot of user reviews that talked of various problems with it. More glitches I don't need!  AVG did well for me for years, other than being a pig, but this problem was a deal-breaker: the only reason I was using AVGfree at all, was as a stopgap because my AVG license which should have covered that computer as a replacement for a broken one, did not permit me to use it. So.. double-whammy, and there'll be no more AVG. 

Again, thank you very much! 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

You're welcome. :)

#7 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users