Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fell for Tech Support Scam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lauram13

lauram13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I got a fire stick yesterday and was trying to connect it to my non-smart Vizio TV. I couldnt get it to work, so I googled "Amazon Fire Stick Support number." Stupid me called the first number that popped up, and I reached a very nice, polite man who asked to remote access my computer to see what the problem was with the fire stick (this just goes to show you how technologically inept I am- obviously he couldn't connect to the fire stick through my computer. Hindsight!). He showed me that I had a Trojan horse and wanted to connect me to another company that could fix it. I said no and hung up, but not after spending 40 or so minutes on the phone and letting him access my tablet. I am wondering what to do now. I have Windows 10 on a Surface Pro and have run a full scan with Windows Defender (nothing showed up) after turning off the wifi and powering down and then back on. What other steps should I take? I am terrified to use any of my devices now! 

I apologize if I didn't follow protocol exactly. Please advise if I need to give more information. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

Please download Emsisoft Anti-Malware and perform a scan following these instructions.After the scan completes, open Emsisoft, click the Logs tab at the top
  • Click on the Surf Protection log by the most current date to highlight it.
  • Click the Export button on the bottom and save the log (i.e. SP_170113-164305.txt) to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the report results in your next reply.
Note: By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, at any time during the trial enabled period, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just use it as on-demand scanner only. Once the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

Please download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and perform a scan following these instructions.After the scan completes, click the rectangular notepad icon > select Detected threats > click on to highlight and click the Save icon to save the results as a text file...name it avptool.txt).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 lauram13

lauram13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

There wasn't an option for "full scan" as shown in the how to. I did a custom scan and checked all boxes, and these were the results. I have no results under surf protection. 

Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Version 12.2
Scan log

Date Scan Method Objects Scanned Objects Detected Duration Type
1/13/2017 4:35:22 PM Custom 409475 2 0:03:58 Manual scan

The Kaspersky scan found no detected threats. 

So everything is good? Thanks for the reply!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif