Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d Question Box--what Does It Say?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

Okay...although my computer kept crashing and was slower than molasses I finally got the old Spybot (from a different site) removed and re-installed from a different site 1.4 version, too. Now, everything seems to be working Fast!! So, I think I got it all going okay. I just had it replace the old version's folders,etc.

One thing:

Anyone else have this problem?? It comes up w/ a box asking a question (IE: spybot found an important change to registry then a box on the left is garbled up and a ? is next and INFO is next to that and the right box is garbled up!!! I can't read what it says.

WHAT do they say so I know how to reply?? I can probably hit the box that applies but I cannot read anything in the garbled boxes.

THANKS!!!!!!

Newbie but coming along great thanks to this wonderful BLEEPING COMPUTER crowd!!!
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

Box on left is "accept" -----Box on right is "Deny"

One would usually accept if you are at the same time adding a program or changing a startup, etc.

If this window pops up for no apparent reason, it is best to deny until you find out for certain what is changing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

This is a known problem with Spybot 1.4
You can find more information about this, here:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete

Scarlett posted a link to a couple of temporary fixes:
TeaTimer fixes
I used the first one, and it worked for me.

Edited by tg1911, 30 August 2006 - 01:11 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks! I did the RESHAK thing and I think that should do it (testing now)...but the directions given were perfectly easy for a newbie :flowers: Thanks for that.

Question: Now, what do I do w/ reshak? Should I delete the folder??

Thanks. :trumpet:

2nd Separate related Question:

Almost every single time I start up my computer, I get the "Changes detected to Registry" from McAfee, and it asks if I want to allow it. Being a newbie, how would I know? I always hit "yes" because I figure it must be from my cleanups before I signed off last....would this be true or should I be hitting no?

(The change always says it is explorer.ex or something and from Microsoft Corporation and then the file has (this seems suspicious to me) Dell Assistant INK. (instead of inc??). I do run Dell Assistant.

Thanks, everyone! :inlove:
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

You're welcome, Longhorn_and_company.
Glad it worked for you.

You can delete ResHacker, as you no longer need it.

Could you give the exact message TeaTimer gives you?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,621 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Could that be Dell Support? I have a one year old Dell. At first I allowed Dell Support and later blocked it in its settings. It had an icon in the taskbar. I finally decided its mission was unnecessary whatever it did besides reporting to home. It may also be a cookie being placed by Dell Support or Dell Printer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,723 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Almost every single time I start up my computer, I get the "Changes detected to Registry" from McAfee, and it asks if I want to allow it. Being a newbie, how would I know? I always hit "yes" because I figure it must be from my cleanups before I signed off last....would this be true or should I be hitting no?

Is there an option to find out more information? Changes to the registry can be caused by malicious programs too, so to blindly approve everything is not a good idea.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users