Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card? Sudden DVI signal loss, usually when gaming.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue55rm

Rogue55rm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hello, I am begrudgingly writing this post as I have not been able to search for a useful answer to my problems over the last couple days

About three days ago, I was playing Flight Simulator Steam Edition and my monitor suddenly switched to a black screen stating " No DVI Signal".  I fiddled with the DVI Cable, unplugged it, tried the other port on the video card, tried the integrated video port, nothing.  All the while the computer was just humming along, all lights and fans operating normally.  I pressed the reset button and the computer reset but there was still no video signal.  So I hard rebooted and everything worked normally.  I went to bed after this and left it running. 

The next evening, I tried to play Flight Simulator some more.  Everything was fine for a short while. maybe 30 minute to an hour and then it did it again.  Sudden " No DVI Signal"  while the computer continues to run as though everything was normal. I rebooted and played some more until it happened a second time.  I think I went through this cycle one or two more times before I was very suspicious of the video card and possible over heating. 

A ran GPU-Z overtop of the Flight Simulator in windowed mode and my temps were never over 44 C.  GPU load was never over 35-40%  This had me rethinking my assessment of the GPU being bad. 

After reading a few posts on different forums, I decided to clean the dust off of the Graphics card and the computer in general.  there was some but It did not seem like burdensome amount. 

After this I tried to use OCCT but I was not sure what I was doing so the test that I tried to run on the GPU did not stress it at all.  After about 5-10 minutes, the temps were near 37 C and the GPU load was about 30%.  When I finished the test, the DVI signal was lost again.  It waited until after the test was over to conk out.  After a reboot, I horsed around on Flight Sim for about 30 minutes and it worked fine. 

So now I am here.  not really sure what is wrong or how to go about determining it. 

Home built in Fall 2013

Windows 7 home edition

MSI Z97 Gaming Motherboard

Intel Core i5-  (I think its 4760k?)

8GB of RAM not sure the brand off hand

MSI Geforce GTX-760  (newest part, added in summer of 2014)

Corsair? 750w PSU

I'm at work so I apologize for not having all my specs memorized.  I just wanted to get the ball rolling on this seeing as I'm being tormented by not being able to figure this out on my own.

Edited by Rogue55rm, 13 January 2017 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Do you have a backup monitor ?

#3 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yep my thinking exaxtly. Seems your display wants to go offline no signal found but could be also out-of-range. What are the specification of your display and it it's 60 HZ do you have the display OCed to a higher HZ? I am running 2x HP 27Xi's they are 60 HZ but I have each one OC'ed to 74 HZ anything above that I will get the same thing you had. Just a thought. Additionally there are cables to consider, but specifications of your display, and any tweaks you might have enabled (like my mine or similar), would help. I agree with the above if you can also manage to borrow another display I would try that for testing purposes.

Edited by Zone_86, 13 January 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#4 Rogue55rm

Rogue55rm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

I do not have another monitor.  I do have an old laptop, but not sure how to use that as a monitor, if that's possible.

I do not know how to OC a monitor; I am not overclocking anything on this computer.

The monitor is an ASUS VS247

#5 Rogue55rm

Rogue55rm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thinking about cables, I do not have a second DVI but I guess I could try HDMI for a little while?

#6 Rogue55rm

Rogue55rm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Update:  I completely forgot to mention that 2-3 days ago, in between all this DVI output garbage, I had the flight sim crash on me and not long after, I had a BSOD. 

I just had another BSOD while surfing the net a few minutes ago.  I need to straighten out this BSOD issue before I continue on with the graphics card and what not.  May be unrelated but fixing the BSOD might fix my video output issue as well. 

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Start a new topic in the BSOD part of the forum then....more then that don't know what to say.

#8 Rogue55rm

Rogue55rm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Start a new topic in the BSOD part of the forum then....more then that don't know what to say.

Yes I have.  I actually had 2 more BSODs while trying to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users