Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update not working on Windows XP home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

I have a system that was having problems so I completely reinstalled Windows XP. I started with Pro and then tried Home and the same problem occurs in both.

This is a completely clean install from a valid XP home disk. When I click on Windows Update, It displays a page, then when it tries to load http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?lnkid=209191 it comes back with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". If I click on Diagnose Connection Problems it comes up with two errors, 12031 and 12029.

All other web pages look ok both http and https. It is running IE 8 and service pack 3. 

I have so far:

Ran Hitman Pro - no errors (some tracking cookies)

Malwarebytes - no errors

sfc /scannow - no errors

ComboFix

Checked the settings in Internet Options - no proxy is checked, added TLS 1.0 to the advanced security 

Reset winsock

Went through a bunch of steps to rebuild the Windows Update, re-registered all the necessary programs etc. 

Has anyone else gone through this? I just want to make sure I have all of the updates for XP on this machine. Last night, overnight the system downloaded and updated 161 updates. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Is SP1A installed?  SP2? SP3?

What version of Internet Explorer is installed?

If SPfA is installed, you can skip installing SP2 and just install SP3.

I would be surprised if Windows Update works correctly with any version but IE 8.

Louis

#3 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Louis,

It has SP3 installed and IE 8.

#4 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

By the way, it does this on both the ethernet and wireless ports.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

If you had SP3 installed and then 161 updates were installed...then you probably have all critical updates for XP.

The link you posted is for MSN...I have no idea why you would complain about the inabity to load it.  But...install Firefox and make it your default browser.  Boot into Firefox, set Google as your homepage and search engine.  Then try browsing the Web.

IE 8 on XP is no longer welcome at many websites...including Microsoft's own sites, IME.

Louis

#6 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Louis. 

I thought it should be okay, but it bugs me that it gets that error. I did install Firefox and it is the default browser. 

Steve

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

You may have downloaded the latest update agent in your updates but just in case download and install it. Reboot and see if you get the error. If you already have it Windows will say it's not required.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334

Personally I would do no banking or online purchases with this computer. XP is no longer is supported. If the specs fairly good and you have at least 1GB or RAM you could put a linux distro that is more secure and harder to infect.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 January 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Forest Ranch Steve

Forest Ranch Steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks JohnC_21. That looks like it works. I installed it and was able to get to the Windows Update page and download updates.

Much appreciated.

Steve

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

No problem, glad to have helped.

#10 simpson_miller

simpson_miller