Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleated sent msg in outlook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1ZZZ

1ZZZ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

My wife posted a message to Trump’s web site (she has done this before). When she went back to her

e-mail, outlook in Win 10, her inbox was empty, as were ALL of her sent e-mails she did not delete them. They are not in the deleted folder, trash. I have sent a test msg, it is still there. Is there a hidden folder that they are stored in. I have tried to “search” I cannot find them. I have seen adds for programs that will recover deleted e-mails. Do the work?

Again, my wife did not manually delete them, they were just gone.  

Thanks for any info, ZZZ

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 January 2017 - 05:53 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Web Browsing, Emails, etc'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1ZZZ

1ZZZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

I

Are outlook msg saved on the local hard drive? IF so where?

I ask, because I foud a program that says it will recover outlook’s “*.PST” messages. If they are only stored only in the cloud, I do not see how this program will work.

Thanks ZZZ

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

It depends. Do you have a POP3 email account or an IMAP email account?

http://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-whats-the-difference-in-pop3-imap-and-exchange/

If you have IMAP, then your email stays on a server which you can access from any computer. If your email address is with Microsoft, then it is probably IMAP.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:10 AM

I will give you a scenario that effects me. I have an email address that Microsoft gave me in 1992, it is my only email address. I use Linux operating systems a lot and I create a lot of different Linux computer systems. When I create a new system from scratch, for example Ubuntu 16.10 on a new laptop, I open up the Thunderbird email app and I enter my email address and I have access to all 25 years of my email history. My Microsoft email account includes 25gb of email storage, which seems to never get filled up. After 25 years of constantly using the same email address my account is currently using 1.5 gb of cloud space, and I have 23.5 gb free.

If you have any problems or questions just call Microsoft, their customer service is outstanding.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

I

Are outlook msg saved on the local hard drive? IF so where?

I ask, because I foud a program that says it will recover outlook’s “*.PST” messages. If they are only stored only in the cloud, I do not see how this program will work.

Thanks ZZZ

I don't think that will help you;

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-email-contacts-and-calendar-from-an-Outlook-pst-file-431a8e9a-f99f-4d5f-ae48-ded54b3440ac

Better to just uninstall Outlook from your computer and reinstall it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Rocky has already given wise counsel, which I am only here to reinforce.

If your e-mail provider offers both POP3 and IMAP access it makes far more sense, from a number of angles, to always use IMAP.  

Two of the most significant ones are:

1. Your e-mail messages, all of them, are backed up on the e-mail server on a constant basis.  Even if your own computer crashes and burns in a way that you cannot recover from at all you still have access to every e-mail message you've ever sent or received (that you didn't delete intentionally) the moment you set up that account for IMAP access on another device.
  2. IMAP allows for synchronized access to your e-mail messages across multiple devices and, without careful tweaking, POP generally does not.  How many of us don't look at our e-mail on different devices?  If you only use a web-based interface to view your e-mail then this becomes pretty much a non-issue, but if you're using e-mail clients of any type on different platforms IMAP is the way to go so that you're seeing the same thing, everywhere, almost simultaneously.  [Yes, there can be differences for however long it is between your having done something like deleting a message on one device and the other doing its next IMAP sync.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users