Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Support for Microsoft Essentials For Vista ending April 2017...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wendell66

wendell66

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hello....I have learned that support for MSE will be ending in a few months.  Since I still have Vista, can you folks recommend the best alternative anti-virus/anti-malware software that is FREE?  Thanks in advance for your prompt replies....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

I have had very good experiences with the free version of Panda Cloud Antivirus on home user's machines, including my own before they went to Windows 10 and I switched to the built-in new version of Windows Defender.

Unless they've changed something, and since my clients whose machines I've installed it on haven't been in touch to complain I have to believe they haven't, you don't even get the little pop-up in the lower righthand corner of the screen asking you if you want to upgrade to the paid version very often at all.  When you do, either dismiss it or it quickly dismisses itself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

I have had very good experiences with the free version of Panda Cloud Antivirus on home user's machines, including my own before they went to Windows 10 and I switched to the built-in new version of Windows Defender.

Unless they've changed something, and since my clients whose machines I've installed it on haven't been in touch to complain I have to believe they haven't, you don't even get the little pop-up in the lower righthand corner of the screen asking you if you want to upgrade to the paid version very often at all.  When you do, either dismiss it or it quickly dismisses itself.

Thanks for the reply...I'll look into this one.

#4 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have learned that support for MSE will be ending in a few months.  Since I still have Vista, can you folks recommend the best alternative anti-virus/anti-malware software that is FREE?

Unfortunately you already have the best FREE antivirus for Vista, so welcome to the world of nagware. Avast is the most popular free alternative, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I recommend it. If anyone tries to recommend AVG, please do not listen! Avira and Bitdefender no longer support Vista, and others will follow sooner or later, so keep an eye on system requirements.

Before installing a third-party antivirus, you should at least create a restore point, and preferably make a backup image using Macrium or similar software. Don't forget to uninstall MSE before attempting to install another antivirus! (Of course you can download their installer before you uninstall MSE.) Speaking of uninstalling: Never attempt to uninstall a third-party antivirus without researching how to do it first! This junk is often hard to get rid of, and in many cases a special removal tool is necessary. (That's one reason I recommend a backup image.) Good luck!

#5 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

I have learned that support for MSE will be ending in a few months.  Since I still have Vista, can you folks recommend the best alternative anti-virus/anti-malware software that is FREE?

Unfortunately you already have the best FREE antivirus for Vista, so welcome to the world of nagware. Avast is the most popular free alternative, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I recommend it. If anyone tries to recommend AVG, please do not listen! Avira and Bitdefender no longer support Vista, and others will follow sooner or later, so keep an eye on system requirements.

Before installing a third-party antivirus, you should at least create a restore point, and preferably make a backup image using Macrium or similar software. Don't forget to uninstall MSE before attempting to install another antivirus! (Of course you can download their installer before you uninstall MSE.) Speaking of uninstalling: Never attempt to uninstall a third-party antivirus without researching how to do it first! This junk is often hard to get rid of, and in many cases a special removal tool is necessary. (That's one reason I recommend a backup image.) Good luck!

Interesting.  Thanks for the input.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,278 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Just for the record, I verified that Panda supports Vista before posting.

I fully suspect that whatever version you download now (if you do so) will continue to be supported on Vista for the foreseeable future and will just keep updating its virus signatures.  Panda will ask you to update to a new version on the rare occasions when one is issued, and only if the issued update is compatible with the actual OS that the current installation is running on.

It also uninstalls easily and with no problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

Operating system: Windows 10 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows 8/8.1 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows Vista (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows XP (32-bit) SP3 or later
Processor: Pentium 300 MHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB
Hard Disk: 240 MB free space
Browser: MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher,
Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher,
Google Chrome

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

#8 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

Operating system: Windows 10 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows 8/8.1 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows Vista (32-bit & 64-bit),
Windows XP (32-bit) SP3 or later
Processor: Pentium 300 MHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB
Hard Disk: 240 MB free space
Browser: MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher,
Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher,
Google Chrome

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

These are my stats for Vista...I gather my computer is ok for the Panda security?

Operating system: Windows Vista 32-bit
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
RAM: 2.0 GB
Hard Disk: 137 GB free space
Browser: Firefox Version 50.1.0 

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

It looks like it will wendell66 :)

#10 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

It looks like it will wendell66 :)

Thank you for your help.

#11 level2

level2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Britechguy~just found this thread~I have Vista on my Laptop at the upper ranch~I'll be there tonight~if I'm there at a reasonable hour I think I'll install Panda```

Do you still recommend it~or has another one shown up that you now like??????

Is there anything that I should uninstall before installing Panda ?????

Thank you

Richard

Edited by level2, 22 October 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#12 level2

level2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Just for the record, I verified that Panda supports Vista before posting.

I fully suspect that whatever version you download now (if you do so) will continue to be supported on Vista for the foreseeable future and will just keep updating its virus signatures.  Panda will ask you to update to a new version on the rare occasions when one is issued, and only if the issued update is compatible with the actual OS that the current installation is running on.

It also uninstalls easily and with no problem.

Greetings, I'm hoping for an~well an update,~do you still think highly of Panda~thank you```

Richard

#13 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Perhaps you should send him a private message?

I still have a Vista PC and once used Panda Free for about four months. On the bright side, it was possible to turn off the "Panda News" nagging, and I only got one false positive (caused by scanning with the old Windows Defender antispyware, which should be turned off). Unfortunately, I also got a BSOD and two PSANHost crashes. Then on March 11, 2015, Panda attacked the systems of users around the world, including mine. That was not merely a Vista issue: most victims were running Windows 7. I will certainly never use that Spanish junk again!

One thing has changed since wendell66 started this thread many months ago: Kaspersky now offers a free version. Kaspersky's antivirus has always been among the most effective, and they still claim to support Vista and XP. However I do not use it and can only recommend it to those who have no fear of the Russian government (e.g. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/israel-hacked-kaspersky-then-tipped-the-nsa-that-its-tools-had-been-breached/2017/10/10/d48ce774-aa95-11e7-850e-2bdd1236be5d_story.html?utm_term=.76589c245cd7).

It is probably still possible to use Security Essentials 4.4 because it predated the EOL features designed to disable MSE on XP and now Vista. However I cannot recommend using a four-year-old client version. It might be reasonably effective as long as definition and engine updates remain compatible, but I lack the technical expertise to offer any assurances. MSE 4.4 would have to come from some third party, so there is also the possibility that the installer has been hacked.

Of course the OP's insistence on "FREE" ruled out many good options such as Norton, which would otherwise be my recommendation.

#14 level2

level2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Abzyx~thanks for the heads up``` when I'm at the upper ranch where the computer, that I've installed Panda on, is I'll take it off~ I think it may have caused the problem I've had not long after installing```

Richard

Edited by level2, 28 October 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#15 level2

level2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Would like to have heard from Brightchguy or and answer to my PM~ he must be busy```

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users