Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will it cause any problems re-naming iso's?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I recently used Down Them All to download a Mint iso.  I filled out the "Custom Name" Box option.  When I went and looked at the iso after download in File Manager, it was showing as a Text File lol.  So I re-named it adding the .iso at the end.  So as the Title ask's will re-naming cause any problems in any way?  I don't like the Default names that are applied to some of these iso's, and would like to just re-name any and all that I have now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

"example.iso" is a filename, but we refer to the ".iso" part as a file extention, because it indicates the type of file the file is.

zvfqcj.JPG

vpjojo.JPG

I'm guessing when you replaced the name you didn't put ".iso" at the end, which is why it was saved with no extention, as you can see in my example screenshots. Renaming it to add ".iso" is fine. This has no effect on the contents of the file.

Edited by hollowface, 13 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thanks HF!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

Hi Punk, hi hollowface

Just to add to what hollowface has said, and in the perspective of one of the subjects you are interested in, namely burning multiple isos to usb stick:

Today, I took an iso on the garage computer - bodhi-4.0.0-64-beta.iso

... then renamed it to "YouBeauty1.iso"

... then invoked Multisystem and burnt it to my usb stick.

Multisystem, after burning it, had it on its menu list as "Bodhi1", which is typical.

I then rebooted and installed from Multisystem, Bodhi.

So yes, there are no problems, and the software recognises the file type as long as you have the extension right.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard, off to play with Bodhi

Edited by wizardfromoz, 20 January 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the interest Wiz! that is one of the things I was wondering about.  Been to busy to even setup some Multisystem USB's.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 824 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

As wiz did i similarly used multiboot usb, and i renamed the iso BEFORE writing it to anything so it looks like CyborgHawk.iso instead of cyborghawk102017.iso or similar I've done that with over 20 different OS's and haven't had an issue writing after i renamed it.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

I renamed many an ISO on the fly just before such downloaded and I've renamed many an ISO after it has been downloaded.

I only got into trouble momentarily when accidentally miss-naming a file's extension during or after downloading, restoring the proper extension is all it took to fix.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for the interest Wiz! that is one of the things I was wondering about.  Been to busy to even setup some Multisystem USB's.

Heck, I'm so busy that my SDHC card on a card reader remains the same until the next Linux Mint release, with computers that'll boot from either a SSD in an eSATA enclosure, no need for USB multiboot OS's. Plus eSATA also handles TRIM just like a SATA port would, on a USB 3.0/2.0 port, has to be manually ran (if SSD is used). HDD users has the best opportunity of everyone, especially with 1TiB performance models selling on promo for $65, and add a USB 3.0 aluminum/metal case (plastic holds too much heat) for $10 or less on eBay.  :)

With GPT partitioning (if one has a UEFI based computer), the sky is the limit, and even if MBR, as long as all partitions are Logical other than three. More speed & more reliability than messing with multiboot USB sticks, many of which will get hot if used too long, even some pricey brands. Plus more speed also, while reads are fast on the nice models, writes are still in the gutter on many controllers, some of which can be blamed on the OEM of the USB stick.

Plus can be carried in any large pocket, travel bag or notebook backpack w/out adding excessive weight, maybe a pound (if heavy drive & case). I once messed around with having 3-4 Linux distros installed that way, and still (somewhere around here) have a small capacity LInux Mint 17 drive that came out of a scrap computer, the $8 USB 3.0 case was all I has to purchase. :)

The multiboot deal was just too much for me to keep up with while assisting others (on the Forum & in person), and have some 'me' time, which is often spent reading tech articles, learning along the way. :thumbup2:

I did rename an ISO once for someone else, the person downloaded LInux Mint & somehow (your guess is as good as mine as to why) became a file with the extension that videos has. While I don't know what was done, the ISO was lost, and I looked all over her computer for it, and where the pics/videos are, there it was. Renamed to the default Linux Mint file, and all was good to go, ready to create a DVD. That's what she wanted rather than a USB stick, so that's what she received. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 January 2017 - 05:17 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

Interesting cat, I was mainly concerned in having multiple distro's to choose from, as an install medium for a variety of pc's.  Some will need 14.04.1, some 14.04.5 and an and on.  Some will need 32bit Lubuntu, some can handle Mint Mate 32 or 64, some will handle 16.04...O-boy what a headache.  Better than the alternative of my Bag of USB's lol.

So what I want is the Multisystem with a bunch of Mint distro's of 17.1,.2.3 of all flavors, and some Mint 18.1's of all flavors.  EDIT: This sentence was incorrect.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 January 2017 - 07:29 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Some will need 14.04.1, some 14.04.5 and an and on

Really?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

Yes?...three letters...AMD!  Some AMD GPU's APU's will not allow the install of Mint .2 or .3, and therefore forget about 16.04.  They will however allow the install of 17.1, come'on Sifu, you know this?  Some of the older pc's won't work well with any of them and have some Graphics chattering.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 January 2017 - 07:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

Quite so, and likewise with the Ubuntu, although that is starting to be addressed and will likely filter through to the Minties.

eg differences between 14.04.4 and 14.04.5 include

Add upstream-uaccess-Add-new-DRM-render-nodes.patch: Add uaccess tag for "renderD*" devices for AMD GPUs. (LP: #1536438)

Source - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/ChangeSummary/14.04.5

:wizardball: Wizard

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

I have yet to come across that issue.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

Some will need 14.04.1, some 14.04.5 and an and on.

If you install 14.04.1 and update it, it will update to 14.04.5.

The difference is in the Hardware Enablement Stack in that there isn't one in 14.04.1, or in 14.04.5 if the original installation media was 14.04 or 14.04.1.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

eg differences between 14.04.4 and 14.04.5 include

14.04.4 will also update to 14.04.5.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

That's a good read Al, give me some time to look at it closer.  I do know that some AMD Laptops won't even upgrade when running these oddball APU's, and some will, unfortunately I have some of those.

Then there is Xorg, which I thought updates in Ubuntu when one Upgrades, but in Mint it stays the same after the Upgrade?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users