Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD drive not showing in My Computer or Device Manager.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 millie87248p79

millie87248p79

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hi. 

Can someone help please.

My DVD/CD drive is not showing in My Computer or Device Manager, but it is there when i check the BIOS settings. 

I tried following some instructions online, but got stuck when i couldn't see the DVD drive in my Device Manager. 

Can anyone help please.

Mille

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

In most variants of Win 7 empty drives do not show up in either Windows Explorer or 'Devices and printers' but I am surprised that it doesn't show up in Device Manager.

Is your DVD drive actually working or not ?  Does it play a disc or can you write to one when you put one in the player ?  You don't actually say !

If it is playing and you can write to it then i wouldn't worry too much about it. If it isn't working post back and include details - make and model at least - of your computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Hi Chris.

I'm unable to use my DVD/CD Drive at all at the moment.

When i  put in a CD or DVD into the DVD drive, my computer doesn't detect it at all.

I try and play a DVD with using VLC media player, but it only will play the DVD if it can locate the DVD drive to select it. But as i can't locate it, because it's not visible, it won't play the DVD, or if i try and burn a CD it still won't detect the DVD/CD Drive.  

The CD/DVD drive was working fine up to about 2 weeks ago. So not sure what's happened since then.

I have Acer, Aspire 7533 Laptop.

DVD-Super Multi DL Drive.

Intel Core i3 - 370M.

Windows 7. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Be very careful when editing the registry. 

Follow this guide (method 1) and browse to the registry key. Do you have a Upper Filters and Lower Filters strings? If you do then delete these strings as shown in the guide.

http://www.askvg.com/optical-drives-are-not-showing-in-my-computer/

Only do method 1.

#5 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hi.

Yes i did only method 1, and it hasn't made any difference. I still have the same issue.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Did you reboot the comptuer?

The drive itself may have failed.  Is the drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS settings?

If not then the drive has failed and the methods in my link will not work. If the drive is detected in UEFI/BIOS settings then continue with the other methods in order.

#7 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Yes i rebooted. Yes the drive is detected in BIOS settings. 

Okay i'll continue to do the other Method steps from 2 to Method 6.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

If methods 2 to 6 does not work we can verify if it's a hardware problem with a small linux distro.

#9 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hi Chris. I tried all methods 2-6.

One of two of them i'm not totally sure i did it correctly. Other than that it hasn't corrected the problem.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Try the following. Download Fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the CD. If the CD boots to the fatdog desktop then you know the CD is good and there is a problem with Windows. Fatdog64-710.iso

Edit: You of course would need burn the CD on another computer.

You can also use a spare USB flash drive and the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive of fatdog. Attach the flash drive and tap F12 while booting the computer. If you do not get a boot screen by tapping F12 the setting has to be enabled in BIOS.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 January 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:06 AM

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Have you checked the ribbon cable connection?

#12 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:31 AM

Hi John.It's a Acer laptop.

I removed CD Drive checked ribbon connection cable and looks okay. 

I will say, I have been having problems with Windows Start up, it keeps trying to start Windows but it keeps failing. It's been doing that on and off for a couple of weeks.

Each time it tries to start up Windows i hear the click clunk of my CD Drive each time. I don't know if that's significant or not.

Before i took the CD drive out, i tried to open the cd Drive to take out a Dvd i had in their from before, but the CD Drive wouldn't open. Since i took out the CD Drive it does now open.

I'll start doing the other instructions you gave yesterday. It's the morning in the UK here. 

#13 millie87248p79

millie87248p79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

John. I'm a bit confused with the 2 links you gave me. The Fatdog64. link, there are lots of different downloads i can choose i don't know which one to download.

Or do i go straight to the second link to which it is a straight download. I have downloaded it just now, but i thought i'd check with you first before i do anything as i don't know what i should be doing next in relation to your instructions and what i've told you.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

millie are there any errors in the Windows Event Viewer regarding the cd drive?

Open the Event viewer, click the little drop down arrow next to Custom Views (top left) and select  Administrative Events. This will then have a little think and then show you any errors or warnings. You can double click on each one to see what it says about it

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Go to the direct download link. The first link was just to show you the desktop. If you are going to use a flash drive boot to the desktop. Once on the desktop put a data or music cd or DVD in the optical drive. An optical drive icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it.

Are you going to use burn a  CD on another computer or use a flash drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users