Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop stuck in bios loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jellywolf

Jellywolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi,
After I shutdown my laptop, it booted by itself. But has only gone up to the BIOS. And keeps looping back there. My device is an Acer one 10 (2 in 1, where the screen part can be used as a tablet and the keyboard dock is an external HDD). The bios (v1.007.x32) is limited, and Aptio is version 2.17.1249

I've tried fiddling with the limited options on the bios setup utility, but obviously that hasn't worked. I've only been able to force shut down by holding the on/off button. I've seen some forums suggest to enable CSM, but as my bios is limited I don't have access to it.

I'm also wondering if it could be a hardware problem. This laptop has had a history of the battery burning the motherboard (but it was under warranty then).

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'd suggest these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

The MemTest86 (NOT the MemTest86+) will boot to the UEFI

The hard drive diagnostics won't (and, unfortunately, I suspect the hard drive).

You'll have to locate a UEFI bootable drive that can run hard drive diagnostics.

I have an ISO for this - but it's over 700 mB in size.

If you're interested in downloading it, let me know so that I can upload it for you.
There'll be 2 versions - and both are experimental - they've worked on a few systems, but didn't work on the last one that I tried it on.

If you can't do that, then the only other option that I can think of would be to try another hard drive and see if that fixes the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't even know if this system can be worked on outside of the factory.

I'd suggest posting over at the Acer support forums for more expert advice.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jellywolf

Jellywolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

I put this up in the Acer forum as well, and the response was that it's possible the integrated storage is gone or inaccessible, and that only Acer could fix it.

I'd still like to try doing those diagnostics to be sure. This laptop has no CD's slot, so I'll use a USB. Do I load it with the UEFI ISO first then the memtest86?

Also, do you think it's worth to try discharging the CMOS battery? I've read in other places that it helps reset the BIOS.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

There's many different ways to do this, and I'm not an expert at any of them.
The first thing is to try Rufus:  https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Read up on how to create a bootable disk for an ISO on a UEFI system

Discharging the CMOS shouldn't hurt the system if done properly - so give it a try and see what happens.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users