Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Applications Are Running ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldLearner57

oldLearner57

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

hello :thumbsup:

can somebody kindly tell me how i can know or where to find out what sort of applications are running behind my operating system (I am using window XP pro).

lately, i observed the led light seems to be flicking all the time even i closed all applications that are not being in used while I jus activated, say, using word 2003 to do my documentation. I tried using the ctrl+alt+del > and view all the programs that are activated but I really "lost".

please somebody assist me to find out what is consuming my comp resource because it seems like the comp system is slowly down. It is possible I got "virus" in my system.

I had Window defender downloaded into the system as well as the window firewall.

thanks everybody for the help render to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Infern0

Infern0

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Hello oldLearner57,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I'm new here too. I don't know much about computers, but hopefully this information will help you out a bit.

Click here to download Process Explorer. It will show you all the processes that are running, it will also show you information about which DLLs and handles processes have opened or loaded, how much memory the processes are using, and the amount of CPU usage each process is taking up. It's like Task Manager, but it gives you much more information.

Also Click Here to find a list of freeware programs that will help you, along with Free AV software to help you find out if there are any viruses on your computer, if you already don't have an anti virus program. You should also consider downloading another Firewall from that list because the Windows Firewall only provides you with so much security. read this

Take Care!
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

There's several places to check:
1) Right click on an empty part of your taskbar and select "Task Manager". Then click on the processes tab - you'll see lot's of stuff that's running on your system.
2) But that's not all! You'll also see several instances of "svchost.exe" - each one of those is a host for other services that are running underneath it. You can find these services by opening a command prompt (Start...Run...type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Then type in "tasklist /svc" (without the quotes) and press Enter - you'll be presented with a list of the services that you saw previously on the left, and a list of the services running under them on the right.
3) You can go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. Scroll down this list and view the one's that are marked "Started" - that's what's running in the services.
4) Finally you can go to Start...Run...and type in "msconfig.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter. You'll get several tabs full of info about the system - the most important here will be the startup tab. That's the programs that are scheduled to run when the computer starts.

And, that's the easy part! :thumbsup: The hard part is figgerin' out which one's you can stop and which one's you need to keep running. Post a list and we'll try and help out!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldLearner57

oldLearner57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

thanks to you two , "usasma" & "Inferno" :thumbsup: it really a great help and I will do what are being suggested and will request further help when I find out more and meantime, at the time while I write the request for help, my computer automatically "re-booted" itself twice and i suspected that my computer might be being 'virused"....is that true :flowers: ??

what I did was I when to do the system restore back dated it till some way around July month, thus this system restore really help me to keep my computer back to norm ?

thanks again everybody for the very helpful suggestions.

best wishes to all out there with plentiful of good health

oldLearner57

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

System Restore is a Windows utilitity that takes "pictures" of key parts of your operating system at different times, and allows you to restore these to a particular point in time. This is helpful if you encounter a bad installation of some application and need to reverse certain things that you have done to your computer; the chances that SR alone will do much to fix virus problems is slim, and using it is no substitute for running an updated resident Anti-virus full scan of your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

Check your event viewer to see if there's any errors around the time of the reboots. Here's a link on how to do it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 oldLearner57

oldLearner57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

hi John (usasma) & jgweed much appreciated for the very helpful replied

:thumbsup: thanks everybody

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

You mentioned Windows Defender and the Windows firewall -

What kind of antivirus program do you have? (Windows Defender is not antivirus)

What other protections are you using? You need several other antipyware/antiadware programs, such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware Personal (both free) for protection.

You need a better firewall - the Windows firewall, while being useful when first setting up the computer on the internet, is not good protection. Zone Alarm is good, and there's a free version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users