Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High End PC Shuts off after <1 minute of gaming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Apaste

Apaste

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

I have been having this issue for 2 weeks and I have done everything I can think of and still no progress.

Problem Description:

-After playing CS:GO for 1 minute PC shuts off completely, tries to restart, beeps once, fails to start and shuts down again.

-PC fails to turn pc on 3-5 times before it can actually turn on.

-When finally powered on, PC can never load the OS. It will only post a black screen after windows loading logo.

-Only way to get pc to load OS again is to unplug pc, wait 10 seconds, plug in and power on.

I built this pc myself in march 2015 and everything has been working perfectly, up until two weeks ago. When the above issues began to happen. I assumed it was a software issue even though I had not updated or installed any new software, but I did a clean install of Windows 10 hoping to resolve the issue. After the clean install and latest drivers did not resolve my issue, it had to be a hardware issue. I performed the windows Memory Diagnostic Test, Memtest86, Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, and Passmark Performance Test 9.0. I did an RMA on my CPU, Motherboard and GPU and still nothing.

PC Specs:

i7-4790k 4.0 Ghz

ASRock Z97X Killer Mobo

G.Skill TridentX 16GB (2x8GB)

EVGA GTX 980 FTW

Samsumg SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Cooler Master Seidon 120v AIO Liquid Cooler (currently using Intel Stock Cooler, due to CPU overheating with Liquid Cooler)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rW8JCmdN4WryBbpXLCnNwnN

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=75276114132

I have WhoCrashed, but no crash dumps have been generated even after changing the setting to complete memory dump. As mentioned below, PC just shuts off.

While performing the Passmark Performance Test my PC did shut off a couple of times half way through the testing but I had Speccy open at the same time so that I could monitor the temps and CPU and GPU were both at ~65C when it shuts off.

I checked the PSU voltages while in the BIOS and they are well within the acceptable ranges 12.192V and 5.094V.

While playing CS:GO (before it shuts off) I alt+tab between CS:GO and Speccy to check temps (I alt tab due to not having a second monitor) and GPU is ~40C and CPU is ~60C and then PC shuts off.

As I mentioned before, I am completely out of ideas and do not know what else to do. I hope that someone can help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

What kind of beep code we talking about ?

#3 Apaste

Apaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

What kind of beep code we talking about ?

After it shuts off, it will try to restart. In that attempt the power comes on for 1 second, beeps once, then shuts off again. It repeats that cycle 3-5 times before it came fully turn on, but then won't load the OS.

Edited by Apaste, 13 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#4 Apaste

Apaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

PSU is EVGA SuperNova 850 GS 80+ Gold

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Continuous beep, short beep or long beep ?

One short beep at power up once a bios passes all tests is normal for a lot of computers, can you get in to the bios ?

If so what are all the voltage rails saying ? everything should be with in +/- 5% for 12v/ 5v / 3.3v etc, what idle temps are you seeing in their ?

If you haven't done this yet maybe a bios reset could be good.

As well have you changed anything of late in your computer since this starting happening or did it just start doing this out of the blue?

I'm confused as well, you got some logs off the computer but in later posts your saying the Os dousen't load ?

Is windows still usable or toast ?

#6 Apaste

Apaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Continuous beep, short beep or long beep ?

One short beep at power up once a bios passes all tests is normal for a lot of computers, can you get in to the bios ?
If so what are all the voltage rails saying ? everything should be with in +/- 5% for 12v/ 5v / 3.3v etc, what idle temps are you seeing in their ?

If you haven't done this yet maybe a bios reset could be good.

As well have you changed anything of late in your computer since this starting happening or did it just start doing this out of the blue?

I'm confused as well, you got some logs off the computer but in later posts your saying the Os dousen't load ?
Is windows still usable or toast ?

After the computer shuts off while gaming it will try to restart. The power will turn on for literally 1 second, no chance to make it to the bios before it does a single short beep and power shuts off again. It all happens in 1 second. Lights turn on, fans start spinning, beep, shuts down. Once it finally turns on fully, it won't load the OS. I gets to the windows loading sign with the spinning orbs but then doesn't post after that. If I hold the power button and shut it down then turn bank on, it still won't post. I have to unplug the power cable, wait 10 seconds, plug in and turn on, then it loads normally. I did check the voltages and they are within the 5%. The idle Temps while in the bios and in windows are 23C-35C. Because of the sudden shut down, the are no crash dumps generated. I don't understand what's going on.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

When you have to start removing the power cord from the wall to reset the system it make me think its psu, if you can get on to your desktop some how we should probly do a load test on the cpu to see if it checks out.

max recomended temp for cpu is 72c 88tdp at stock speed

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Stop test at 82c if the computer bombs don't repeat test just try and remember what the highest temp number you saw was before it bombs.

In a way theirs all most no point going here cus i know the numbers on a stock Intel heat sink are going to suck but test if you want anyways to see what happens.

Cooler Master Seidon 120v AIO Liquid Cooler (currently using Intel Stock Cooler, due to CPU overheating with Liquid Cooler)

Not the biggest of liquid coolers out their and what happen did it brake ?

Over heating O_o was it like this for a wile and how hot we talking about ?

Wven a wimpy liquid cooler should be it  way better then a stock Intel cooler, as well running a chip hot all the time can brake a chip faster given time though it might take years before you end up with problems.

As well sometimes the chip only half brakes meaning it half works, replacing the chip in a shop and stress testing the system is a fast way to find out if this is the problem though were not their yet testing wise.

#8 Apaste

Apaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

When you have to start removing the power cord from the wall to reset the system it make me think its psu, if you can get on to your desktop some how we should probly do a load test on the cpu to see if it checks out.

max recomended temp for cpu is 72c 88tdp at stock speed

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Stop test at 82c if the computer bombs don't repeat test just try and remember what the highest temp number you saw was before it bombs.

In a way theirs all most no point going here cus i know the numbers on a stock Intel heat sink are going to suck but test if you want anyways to see what happens.

Not the biggest of liquid coolers out their and what happen did it brake ?

Over heating O_o was it like this for a wile and how hot we talking about ?

Wven a wimpy liquid cooler should be it  way better then a stock Intel cooler, as well running a chip hot all the time can brake a chip faster given time though it might take years before you end up with problems.

As well sometimes the chip only half brakes meaning it half works, replacing the chip in a shop and stress testing the system is a fast way to find out if this is the problem though were not their yet testing wise.

With the Cooler Master Seidon it was idling at ~65C and shot up to ~85c under load, so I shut it down immediately and removed the AIO liquid cooler and installed the intel stock fan which now with the stock fan it idles at ~32C and goes to ~65C under load.

After I unplug the power cord, wait, then plug it back in I am able to get into windows normal to test and I have stress tested/bench-marked with Passmark performance test 9.0 (results link is in the OP). The PC did shut down 3 out of the 5 times I ran the test. Of those 3 times the pc shut down, the temps were at ~65C (both the GPU and CPU). So it wasn't over heating.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Wish we had a back up cpu on hand at this point, i all most smell cpu damage as well sounds like the liquid cooler died at some point and who knows how long the cpu was running like that and at what temp, that kind of thing can brake a cpu permanently.

And 65c for that cpu is under the limit for the chip but i wouldn't say its a nice number, my self 30 min full load the temps don't touch 50c

As well the pc bombing under load testing is never a good sine, you decent with tweaking bios settings ?

#10 Apaste

Apaste
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Wish we had a back up cpu on hand at this point, i all most smell cpu damage as well sounds like the liquid cooler died at some point and who knows how long the cpu was running like that and at what temp, that kind of thing can brake a cpu permanently.

And 65c for that cpu is under the limit for the chip but i wouldn't say its a nice number, my self 30 min full load the temps don't touch 50c

As well the pc bombing under load testing is never a good sine, you decent with tweaking bios settings ?

Well the computer did bog down considerably and I did suspect the cpu had been damaged so I did an RMA on the CPU. Upon receiving the new CPU, I installed it and tested temps right away. That is when I saw the temps at ~65C idle and ~85C under load. I shut the PC off immediately and replaced the AOI liquid cooler for the stock cooler that came with the new CPU. Installed a clean windows 10 (erased all partitions and Installed windows 10) and began testing. So currently, when the PC shuts down it is not over heating (at ~65C) and when it does complete the benchmark, all component rate very highly (CPU, GPU, Memory and HDD). So the computer works perfectly for office productivity but as soon as it is placed under stress, the issues begin. I am surprised it is sometimes able to complete the benchmark (which takes several minutes) but when I attempt to play CS:GO, it shuts down within 1 minute of game play.

I wouldn't say I am an expect within the BIOS but I know where everything is and I could perform tweaks with instructions.

From you earlier comment, I am beginning to suspect the PSU might be failing. I checked the event viewer entries and there are some Critical Kernel Power Errors there.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Well the test i had in mind is drop everything down by like 50% just for testing so GPU speed and video card ram speed  as well as lower cpu speed and main system memeory speed losen ram timings,if you can do some tweak to the chipset to slow things down too that works as well,slow your pci-e bus speed down over volt main system memory a little as well as cpu etc once done go back to trying to play CS and burn in testing/stress testing and see if anything has changed, if nothing douse then theirs your anser, if something has then thats saying something too.

Trick after that on a hardware level is trying to find out whats not happy and why.

And if you did a clean install not long ago that relly helps rule out the Os as being a probelm in most cases and sometimes when a cpu pops or something burns in a computer it can take out other parts too or dammage other things its connected to as you might all ready know.

My self though id start with the underclock put the computer is slow/safe mode and start testing and  see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users