Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC to HDTV - easiest way to output video and sound?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nixxxed

Nixxxed

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

I'm hoping to purchase a new HDTV, and would like to be able to use the TV to watch video from my PC (with Win10 Home, 64-bit).  If anyone can help me figure out the easiest way to do that, I would appreciate the help.

I've attached a pic of my available connections.  When all my cables are plugged in, the unused ports are one USB 3.0 connection and the VGA port.  My graphics card is onboard my processor - AMD A10 with Radeon HD 7660D, so I do not not have an HDMI port.  I use the DVI connector to run video to my current monitor, which also has a VGA input.  The monitor does not have speakers, so I use a USB port to power external speakers, and the green Audio-Out port for sound.

Options / Questions:

-  I've looked into the USB 3.0 to HDMI "external graphics" devices, but I can't figure out if sound would be included (and if not included, how to get sound to the TV).

-  I see some TVs that say "PC Input" via the VGA port.  Will this deliver HD-1080p video?  If not, is there a workaround?  This option would still require sound output from the PC.

-  If I switch my current monitor to use the VGA port, could use a DVI to HDMI adapter to run video to the TV?  My sound card PC has a Digital Output (S/PDIF) option.  Will that be broadcast to the TV through the DVI to HDMI connection?  So, each time I wanted to watch video on the TV, I'd have to switch the sound output options on the PC.

- I don't believe Chromecast will work for me.  I watch Amazon video with Firefox.  I also watch Netflix and Xfinity / Comcast TV via their websites - both of which work best with Internet Explorer.  In fact, the Xfinity/Comcast site ONLY work on IE11 on my machine, for some reason.  If there are other "casting" or wifi / bluetooth broadcast options that would work, I haven't discovered them.

-  I see some HDTVs come with browsers pre-installed, several with Opera.  Might that be an option for the sites I listed above?

Bottom line, I would like to be able to use an HDTV to watch the streaming services I currently watch on my PC.  And, prefereably, do that with no configuration or one-time configuration.  For instance, I'd rather not have to readjust my display properties / resolution, audio properties, audio device, display device, etc., each time I want to use the TV.  Then, have to switch all the settings back to use the PC.

Is that possible?  Thanks for any advice you can give, either on PC-output options or HDTV features to look for.  If you need any more specs about my PC, please let me know.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Forget hooking up the PC to the television if all you want it for are streaming services.  Most smart TVs support the major streaming services.  If you get a dumb TV with an HDMI input you can use any number of inexpensive solutions to stream, Amazon's Fire Stick, Apple TV, Google TV, Ruko, and more.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

What you want to do can be done two ways:

1. Get a "proper" video card and use that. A $35 one should be all you need, if all you want is to stream.

2. Use VGA with your monitor and get an adapter that converts your DVI and optical out into an HDMI connection. This is more likely to have problems than solution 1. Of course, you can still use the USB speakers you have, if you want to use a straight DVI > HDMI cable. DVI does not carry sound.

#4 Nixxxed

Nixxxed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

Thank you both for the help.  I've had some luck since my post with using the Chrome browser to view the Xfinity / Comcast TV site, so I think I'll look into Chromecast.

Also, thanks Gorbulan for the DVI to HDMI tip - I didn't realize they could not carry sound.  I thought the S/PDIF audio stream would be broadcast by DVI, but now I see it requires a separate cable.

Thanks again for the advice.  Fingers crossed that I will be able to fine tune using Chrome.  I'll be good to go.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users